Just starting on a long road

Options
I am a senior citizen and desperately need to lose 50 lbs for health reasons. Starting from zero activity level. Planning to start today with a walk around the neighborhood but probably will not make more than a couple of blocks.

Replies

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Come on you got this, one day at a time
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a 100% sedentary oldster. I'm only now naturally starting to increase my activity as I weigh less and feel better but I'm still not doing regular exercise. Despite this, I am losing weight. The most important thing to do is weigh and measure all your food to maintain a calorie deficit. No amount of walking will help you lose 50 pounds if you eat enough calories to undo it. A 180 pound person only burns about 100 calories walking a whole mile! Walking that mile is good for you but it won't shave off 50 pounds.
  • beingblackisok
    beingblackisok Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I Am 66 I had lost 20lbs I've gained most back I need support.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I’m 63 and have been on here for 4 years. When I ignore logging, I gain weight back. When I follow the mfp guidelines, whether exercising or not, I lose weight. Just stick with it and read these boards daily for ideas, inspiration, and support. Check out the Success thread, maintenance thread, and fitness. They’re all good though. You’ll get out of this as much as you put into it. It shouldn’t be a miserable experience, and there are lots of tips on how to keep this journey food fun.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm 64. I lost 30lbs and have kept it off for 7+ years.

An accurately tracked calorie deficit using a digital scale along with MFP will be the major influence in you losing weight. This alone should improve your health markers.

Don't try to lose too fast, 1-1.5lbs a week dropping to 1lbs when you reach 30lbs would be the maximum I personally would aim for.

Do make sure you are getting enough protein, even without exercise protein will help you retain muscle as you lose. Aim for .8-1g of protein per lbs of your ideal body weight or lbm. (If you look at the mid weight of your ideal body weight and for that. ie: if the mid point is 120 lbs aim for 90-120g of protein.)

Great that you are walking. It will do wonders for your health and energy levels. Take it slow as you are not use to it. A 5 min walk one day 10 the next alternating and taking a day off to rest when you need to. Don't overdo it, you will get discouraged, instead build your walking time up slowly day by day or week by week.

Another thing that will help build your lower body strength, is just getting up and moving around your home more. Work towards getting in and out of a chair without using your arms for help. (Practice on a dining room chair or even the toilet :))

Arms, and upper body strength. As we get older we tent to lose both mobility in our arms and shoulders, walking doesn't help this unfortunately. So bicep curls with your shopping bags before you unpack them. Hold your arms out and do small, medium, then wide circles forward and backward on a regular basis. Also just raid your hands over your head and do circles.

We are in a world where we are sitting a lot, often bent over a computer screen. Be aware of your posture, sitting and standing, and try to remeber to practice good posture. It helps keep your back strong, your stomach muscles tighter, and makes you seem more youthful.

If you feel up to it in the future, I highly recommend aqua fit.

Good luck in losing 50lbs and improving your health.

Sorry to be a bit long winded. I get excited when people of a similar age decide to improve their health.

Cheers, h.

ETA: lose in a way that you can maintain for the rest of your life.

I found just eating smaller portions of my regular food, and making sure I was hitting my nutritional goals,most of the time, made it easier to maintain long term. And don't give up if you go off track a meal, a day, a week, or even a month, just get right back at it without guilt. Same goes for celebrations, enjoy them, track them, then get right back to your deficit.
  • annaofsmile
    annaofsmile Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am on day 5 --- very motivated, but that is day by day. I am doing the low carb, cause eating any white flour products or grains seem to work against my inflammation, and I need to be able to find ways to work a diet that will become my "way of eating" long term. I need to interact with others who are in this for the long haul and are senior citizens. Hello folks! Oh and I am 67. :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP @annaofsmile.

There are a number of older members posting regularly on the boards, some maintaining some losing, and some just starting like you are.

You may find this thread useful for getting to know some of the older members.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10602215/women-ages-50-for-october-2017#latest

Personally I like interacting with members of all ages, that way I don't often think of my age, just get inspired to push boundaries - especially when it comes to fitness.

I think there is a low carb group that you may find useful. Just do a search. Sorry I have little knowledge on the subject.

Cheers, h.

PS, if you need help, just make your own post and people will try to assist you.
    Maybe do one asking for friends.
  • annaofsmile
    annaofsmile Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch Thanks for the warm welcome, you say "Personally I like interacting with members of all ages, that way I don't often think of my age, just get inspired to push boundaries - especially when it comes to fitness." I get that and don't feel extreme need to limit my interactions with younger folks, I live with 80 college age boys and live among 20,000 students, so I am in the mist of a much younger set 24/7. I am reaching out to a few of the older wise ones - who may be like I am; spent my entire life yo-yoing from a size 8 to now a hefty size 14/16 (depending on maker) ha, ha! But, that is just me and my whim. Again, thanks for the warm welcome.

• sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Every journey starts with that first step... I've just completed my first month on MFP and i'm now confident i can do this for the rest of my life. I haven't been perfect on my diet but it turns out I don't have to be perfect. I'm 5kg down and am thinking of looking for my smaller size jeans (they're in the basement somewhere in a bag). I just ate Halloween candy because I realised the mini chocolates are only 45 calories apiece and I have room in my daily calorie allowance for snacks today! This hasn't required huge amounts of sacrifice or discipline - just daily counting, learning, some planning and easy walks. You'll do great!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You start by walking a block every day. Next week walk 2 blocks. The next week, add one more block. Keep doing this and you'll be walking a 5k sooner than you think.