Sore ankles/shin splints from treadmill

Options
I started to get shin splints last night when I was running on the treadmill. I only recently started running on it as part of my new circuit training programme. It came and went but was sore enough.

THen my ankles are sore today also. I would have had weak ankles when I was younger and badly sprained on when I was 12 or so.

Anyone else get this and they go away by themselves???

Replies

• ptmarc
    ptmarc Posts: 2
    Options
    lots of possible reasons maybe ur doing too much or going to fast to start with or ur shoes are unsuitable for running
  • CakepopPirate
    CakepopPirate Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have no medical training... this is just my experience!

Quick remedy:
    Take a cold can (soda, beer, a jar of jelly...) and roll it up and down my shins. You need to push a little bit hard. It will ease the pain and it has always helped me overcome them more quickly. Also, take IB profen because it will reduce the inflammation which helps your body heal (it also helps with the pain).

Real deal:
    The muscles in your ankles and/or shins are probably as strong as your awesome motivation and circuit training requires. This has always happened to me if I intensify my work out OR I run on uneven ground because your ankles have to be stronger. So, you have injured the muscles and tendons that run over the top of your shins. Shin splints shouldn't prevent you from exercising but don't forget it is a real injury and should be tended to so it doesn't get worse or cause a secondary injury, create poor-form or have lasting damage.

Hope this helps!
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i dont run on tredmils for that very reason i get shin splints like no other...but when running outside im fine :) try it out side and see if it happens there too...
  • killieuk9
    Options
    The reason you get shin splints is when you are running you are planting your feet all the way down meaning your heel is touching the ground. so you need to get the propar running shoes or an insoul designed to elevate your foot to stop this happening.
  • ShaunHensley
    Options
    I've been fighting shin splints from playing ultimate frisbee twice a week. They have been bothering me for several months now, but I couldn't give up the calorie burn.

Finally today I went out and bought some arch supports for my cleats and athletic tape for my shins. It seemed to do the trick, first session without excruciating pain in a couple of months.