Calories to lose weight

Options
Hi there. I am new and was wondering why it seems everyone gets 1200 calories. I am starving on 1200 calories. I have 80 lbs to lose. Seems that I should start off with more calories and then they should drop as I lose. Can anyone help me understand why I would be given the same amount of calories as maybe someone with 20 lbs to lose? Thanks.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    because of the settings you input into MFP?
  • nyrazd
    nyrazd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you know if MFP takes into account your start weight? Maybe that's where I'm confused. I just assumed that someone with more weight to lose would start with higher calories per day then drop as weight drops since they eat more to maintain that extra weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Not everyone gets 1200 calories, 1200 is just the lowest it will give to women. Your calorie goal is based on your age, sex, height/weight, and what you selected for activity level and rate of loss. If you selected 2 pounds a week, you can change to 1.5 pounds a week and get some more calories. Plus as you exercise, you’ll burn more and be able to eat more.
  • leonhnchan
    leonhnchan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Make sure the calories you take in are nutrient dense. Try 2 glasses of water when you feel hungry. If you're still hungry eat a bit more then. :)
  • nyrazd
    nyrazd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses. Truly appreciate the support.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nyrazd wrote: »
    Do you know if MFP takes into account your start weight? Maybe that's where I'm confused. I just assumed that someone with more weight to lose would start with higher calories per day then drop as weight drops since they eat more to maintain that extra weight.

yep, which is why you might want to double check your settings.