Who does 16:8 IF with success??

Options
I am currently finishing day 2 of 16:8 IF (well it's more like 18:6) and am curious who else does this and has had success from it. I have a total of 30lbs to lose... I'm 5'5 and 163lbs right now.

Share with me your successes + feel free to add me if you use this WOL/E.

Replies

• davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I've been doing attempting 16:8 intermittent fasting for a couple months now, complying about 3/4ths of the time. I have been losing weight, however, I am also calorie counting, so there's that.

I feel like it's helping. At least, it's helping me restrict my calorie intake.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I successfully do IF, that's how I naturally prefer to eat. I've successfully lost, maintained and purposefully gained doing IF too, by sticking to my calories for whatever goal I am trying to achieve.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat my meals within 6-8 hours most days, so technically, I'm doing IF; mentally, I'm just eating like a normal person. It's a silly term, but a good boundary, for me - I love to eat, but I can wait, I actually love to wait for a good meal, so eating three meals and nothing between meals is ideal for me. Practicing waiting to eat has also reduced the totally irrational, but not self-inflicted - I had read too much woo - fear of starvation mode and metabolism shutdown and binging behavior. Nothing bad has happened so far (a year), and I feel that my relationship with food has improved even more than just through counting calories and macros.
  • sallyd837
    sallyd837 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I did for 8 mths. Lost about 8kg and felt quite good. Then plateaud so tried 5.2 in conjunction. Did nothing for 2 months. So back on 16.8 (and eating 80% of my TDEE) and already feeling much better and losing (official WI tomorrow morning)
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    5 years and 60 pounds later. Healthiest and most fit I've ever been.
  • basketballbrad24
    basketballbrad24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have seen lots of success with if taking my body fat from 16% to 7%
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this naturally for years. OP, its just an eating schedule to consume your calories for the day. I helps some with compliance, but there is no magic to this, it still boils down to staying in a calorie deficit, and this is what helps you lose fat.
  • cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have been using IF since about February of this year. I guess I am technically on an 18:6. From 7pm through 4pm I only have a protein shake for lunch, then "feed" from 4pm - 7pm. So technically my fast is broken at lunch. It works for me, because I prefer to eat in the evenings and this gives me the majority of my calories available then.
    It is a convenient way for me to keep my CI<CO.

Let me add, when I started IF, I wasn't tracking very consistently, and I gained weight. It is not magic, it is a method that I find convenient, but I still have to track calories.
  • gogogadgette
    gogogadgette Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 16:8 with macro cycling for about 6 years now, all in all, it comes down to CICO and eating appropriate food choices for my daily activities. I'm a 5'7 145 lb (22% BF) amazon type build woman who loves her big filling meals but I also enjoy the fasted feeling, so as a whole, it's been a positive for me, which is why I'll never stop doing it. If you don't enjoy the feeling of being fasted after adjusting the first week, it's probably not something I'd recommend anyone to continue doing. It can trigger people with ED's severe binge/restrict issues.
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8, I feel like it gives an extra kick to my keto diet. It's really easy to do for me anyway, black coffee in the morning instead of breakfast, and drink water till lunch time. The only issue I have found sometimes I have trouble getting the calories of my mfp guideline for the day.