Is it necessary to cut out bread when wanting to lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I eat bread everyday
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    From my long diabetic training I learned to count carbs in every meal. I found it easier to allow myself one carb portion at every meal. That would mean picking the rice OR the bread. I'm like you. I love my bread. So often it is the bread.

Now, if I finish half a loaf in a single day, because, so good, I'll gain weight.

If you are eating bread and losing weight, you are winning and "people" and the "media" and the restaurants following trend are all wrong. Enjoy your bread. In moderation.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Bread and carbs can pile on calories fast. I cut out tons of carbs while losing and still do in maintenance, but I'm still at 50% which is mfps recommended level. You need to leave calories for enough protein and veggies so you have proper nutition. You need to support your body and activity level while eating at a deficit.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I love bread. I'm basically the pinnacle of Opera in that one commercial. I just can't help myself with bread. And im wondering if by eating it, if it's hindering my weight loss? Are there any other foods that I could eat that would replace bread and still make food taste good? (And don't hit me with using lettuce as bread cause we all know lettuce is plain and sad. At least I think so. I've tried it and it makes me sad)

- If you can't keep yourself from over-eating it (ie you always crave more or crave it often)(and going over calories), then you might not want to keep more than a serving of it around. If it's not a trigger food that you can't stop eating and it fits your calories, then it won't hinder your weight loss.
    - If it isn't very filling for you for the number of calories, and you wind up eating again sooner than you otherwise would have had the calories been spent elsewhere, then it could potentially hinder. (this varies person to person).
    - Depending on your calorie allotment, it might be hard to fit in much bread while still meeting protein and fat minimums without playing tetris with your food log to pre-plan it in. (if you are short, near normal weight, and sedentary, this could be problematic).
    - There is no suitable lower-calorie-density replacement. I wish there was.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    NO. As long as you work it into your calorie allotment, you're fine.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Nope. As long as you are eating less than you burn, you can have bread.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want as long as you stay within your calorie limit. It's really simple.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    flmerrin wrote: »
    My health improves substantially when I stop eating grains. My A1C drops to 4.7 from about 6.0 and overall my blood chemistry improves.
    Why? Bread turns to sugar.
    The truth is we don't need bread or carbs of any kind, what you can't live without is protein and fats.
    Don't take my word for it, research it...

Lol...you have a specific medical condition that is not applicable to the general population. I eat bread and other carbohydrates and my health is fine. Some of the healthiest populations in the world eat diets pretty high in carbohydrates...look up blue zones.

Just because you're broken doesn't mean everyone else is.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine life without bread. Unless you're allergic to it, eat it if you want. I realized a while back that all of these thousands of diet plans have one thing in common. Eat less.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    flmerrin wrote: »
    My health improves substantially when I stop eating grains. My A1C drops to 4.7 from about 6.0 and overall my blood chemistry improves.
    Why? Bread turns to sugar.
    The truth is we don't need bread or carbs of any kind, what you can't live without is protein and fats.
    Don't take my word for it, research it...

lol. Strong first post. :smile:
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    if cutting out bread was necessary id still be fat. Omnomnomnom