going out for meals

Options
I feel like i`m just beginning to get somewhere with this weight loss programme but I got invited to a chinese meal and although I really want to go I dont want to scupper all my good work so far but I also dont want to avoid go out for meals forever, any suggestions ?

Replies

• lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Just exercise a lot in the day, eat little in the day and then eat not too badly when you go out
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    Go, have fun, get some water down you and kick back in the following day, you still have to have a life x
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Have fun...do a little more exercise than usual and drink a little more water....also, try to avoid fried dishes and maybe ask them to go light on whatever sauce that usually smothered on top of most dishes.

Chinese is soooo good! One of my weaknesses!!!
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    such a tough one. I know exactly how you feel. I really struggle. Agree with the poster about gym during the day. I guess one lesson/lifestyle change I've tried to make is 'mindful eating' I read a book on it and it's about being really conscious of what you eat. Really enjoy it and savour it and stop when you're full. chew, leave some on your plate if you're full - all those sensible things that I need to be reminded to do (hate leaving food but I've started to learn to do it).
    Chinese is good because you can help yourself so take small amounts rather than getting a massive plate of food all to yourself. Eat out of a rice bowl and use chopsticks (if you're as inept as me you'll eat a whole lot less than with western cutlery!) Personally I always go for steamed rice (instead of egg fried), order vegetable side dishes and lean meats/fish and seafood that has been steamed or stirfried (just not fried beforehand!). Dim Sum - steamed dumplings would be ok depending on the filling. I'd avoid anything that's been deep fried. If there's something that you really love (sesame prawn toast in my case) just have a really small piece and really enjoy it.
    Going forward you choose the restaurant so that you know there are sensible choices for you. Experiment with different lighter cuisines - Vietnamese/Japanese etc.. Good luck and enjoy it! Don't beat yourself up about it too much.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Unless you plan to never go out again you have to get used to eating out at some point.

Granted it is best not to eat out too much (I limit myself to once per week, twice occasionally) and I wont eat out just for the sake of it. I make sure when I do eat out it is a treat.

Chinese is not the most diet friendly cuisine. If you stick to chicken / veggie dishes, avoid anything deep fried, drink lots of water you should be OK!

Eat clean beforehand and get back on plan afterwards. Of course exercise to "earn" some extra calories
  • mefeight1964
    mefeight1964 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up eating out, just do your home work, plan ahead and make the healthiest choices possible! Look up he menus (or similar menus) online before you go out and decide what items will fit into your eating plan, then stick to those choices when you arrive at the restaurant. There are healthy choices on every menu (yes, even fast food!). If you take the time to find out what they are, you'll always know what to order.

And if you do over indulge, don't let it totally derail your plan. Just get back on track with your next meal. We all face challenges and we all slip up from time to time. But WE choose how to deal with it. :)

Blessings on your day!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Go! Enjoy!

BUT

Exercise before you go so you know how many spare calories you have to play with. Work out the calorie content of stuff you're likely to order so you're prepared. Once the food arrives, try to have a mouthful of water between each bite. Put your fork down between each bite. Concentrate on the flavours in your mouth - how do they taste? Enjoy the conversation with your friends - after all, that's why you're going!

Chinese food is high in sodium - so make sure you keep up the water intake the next day as well.
  • emiliabeth
    Options
    Whatever you decide to do, make sure you plan it. If I don't plan what I'm going to eat when I eat out, it's always a disaster. I try to research the menu of where I'm going and either use their calorie info, or take my best guess at the best option.

Drink a pint of water about an hour before you go out and it'll help you keep control.

Always ask for sauce / dressing on the side.

Always have some of your favourite thing or this whole calorie-counting thing will get old really fast... :).
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Go, have fun, get some water down you and kick back in the following day, you still have to have a life x

Thats what i would do life is for living!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Here are a few pointers I could find online!

Chinese Dining

Chinese cuisine is typically a healthy option but high fat surprises lurk on every menu. By reviewing our recommendations and making low fat choices, you can enjoy a variety of Oriental specialities.
    Strategies

Top 5 tips
    • Do not ask for prawn crackers or rice crackers before your meal.
    • Ask for your meal to be prepared without MSG (monosodium glutamate, an artificial flavour enhancer).
    • Order boiled or steamed rice, avoid egg-fried rice.
    • Choose dishes which are stir-fried, not deep fried, and ask for only a small amount of oil to be used.
    • Do not add salt to your food - a little light soy sauce will add lots of extra flavour.

Healthy Choices
    Starters:
    • Clear broths like wanton, chicken & sweetcorn and hot & sour soups
    • Grilled seafood and shellfish
    Main Courses:
    • Steamed, roast or stir-fried chicken, pork, fillet steak or seafood
    • Stir-fried vegetable dishes
    • Bean sauces such as yellow bean or black bean sauce, oyster sauce, ginger and hoisin or plum sauce
    Side Orders:
    • Steamed or boiled rice or noodles
    • Bean curd or tofu
    • Extra vegetables including snow peas, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, string beans, beansprouts, bok choy, mushrooms and Chinese brocolli
    Desserts:
    • Fresh fruit platter
    • Rice cakes
    • Green tea

Foods to avoid
    Starters:
    • Deep-fried parcels such as spring rolls, wantons, sesame toasts and dumplings
    Main Courses:
    • Duck, especially with skin
    • Deep-fried and battered chicken, pork or prawns
    • Nut-based sauces such as satay (peanut) or cashew nut sauces
    Side Orders:
    • Fried rice and deep-fried or crispy noodles
    • Prawn crackers
    Desserts:
    • Banana or pineapple fritters
    • Toffee apples
  • Trasijocha43
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions you really have helped x
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    go have fun. get your dish steamed. ask for the sauce on the side. instead of white rice ask for brown rice