How do you fight through cravings?

Options
Curious what works for you when you want to eat that donut, fast food order, or any other high calorie, high fat, high sugar food, but don't go through with it? What foods do you keep on hand to avoid falling into the temptation?

Replies

• dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I eat a piece of bread and butter (with low-cal jam if I need sweetness).
  • karahunts
    karahunts Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For me the main thing is to not eliminate the "bad" foods I love from my diet and allow myself treats. This way when I get the urge to eat them I can remind myself that now is not the time to have them but it will be soon! Also, I'm addicted to junk food snacks so I only purchase single servings when it's time to treat myself. After I eat that donut, I don't have five more waiting for me in the kitchen.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I try not to keep my "trigger foods" in the house. For me, that means potato chips and chocolate. If I find myself craving something specific, I just tell myself, I can have it, but I have log it before I eat it. A lot of times, logging the calories and seeing that I am over for the day, backs off the craving. If I stick to my calorie limit for the week, however, I always allow myself a treat meal every week or a treat snack a couple of times a week, depending on my activity level. For instance, knowing that I can have a hot fudge sundae at the end of the week, keeps me from nibbling on Halloween candy or cookies at the office during the week.
  • nicolega2001
    nicolega2001 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth. I keep around 70 calorie packs of fruit snacks. This way I can indulge my craving without blowing my calorie goals out the water for the day.
  • JJFGL2016
    JJFGL2016 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like to use a good protein drink like Isagenix or Dr Axe. it helps fill in any nutrition gaps and the protein fills me up so Im less hungry.

Also on the web these days there is usually a recipe to make a high protein, high nutrition, low glycemic version of what you are craving. By the time you go to the store, get the ingredients, and make it, you probably forgot your original craving :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Curious what works for you when you want to eat that donut, fast food order, or any other high calorie, high fat, high sugar food, but don't go through with it? What foods do you keep on hand to avoid falling into the temptation?

First and foremost and this will come in time I hope for you OP... stop labeling foods like this.

Work with calories long enough, you will see you can fit this in your daily calories sensibly and still stay on track to lose weight. Also pre-planning/logging allows you to enjoy a temptation if you have the calories left to do so.

• Tazzie0208
    Tazzie0208 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I always try to balance my food intake. If I know I'm going to eat at a restaurant, I make sure I eat healthy or light the rest of the day. If my son wants a donut, burger or ice cream, and I have to take him (therefore I know I will have one too.....) I make sure I exercise at least for an hour and burn at least 400 calories that day.
    In order for me to avoid all that junk food, I do not have it at home. I don't buy ice cream or processed foods f/example. You can have cheat days, as long as you don't make everyday a cheat day and you are mindful about your eating habits and exercise. :smile:
  • CTMike1980mfp
    CTMike1980mfp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cutting back on alcohol is also a winning idea I think for reducing cravings/being able to deal with them. Just...keep that reasonable, too. If you drink 6 a week...drink 3 instead. If you drink 12...drink 6. Then later...drink 3. etc...

But...it's harder to make the best decisions if you've had a glass of beer or wine. Again...exercise helps with that, too imo...if you're lifting or out walking or whatever you're doing for exercise you aren't drinking beer and tearing up a bag of cheetos.

Curious, did you lift weights or do cardio while losing your weight? Also, what weekly weight loss goal did you start off at, 1lb, 1.5 lbs, 2lbs?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Cutting back on alcohol is also a winning idea I think for reducing cravings/being able to deal with them. Just...keep that reasonable, too. If you drink 6 a week...drink 3 instead. If you drink 12...drink 6. Then later...drink 3. etc...

But...it's harder to make the best decisions if you've had a glass of beer or wine. Again...exercise helps with that, too imo...if you're lifting or out walking or whatever you're doing for exercise you aren't drinking beer and tearing up a bag of cheetos.

Curious, did you lift weights or do cardio while losing your weight? Also, what weekly weight loss goal did you start off at, 1lb, 1.5 lbs, 2lbs?

I would recommend some combination of both...cardio for your cardiovascular health and resistance training to preserve muscle mass...when you diet, you lose muscle along with fat...resistance training lessens the amount of muscle mass you will lose.
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I just do keto and drink two or three keto coffees throughout the day. Takes my cravings away.
  • tides57
    tides57 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I try to identify the core craving—is it for sugar? Salt? Sour? Fat? Dairy? Carbohydrate? Something crunchy? Chewy? Protein? When I can do that, I can satisfy the craving with a super-small amount of food that meets the criteria. If I don’t identify the core craving, I can easily eat my way through the fridge and pantry like a locust on legs, never quite satisfying the craving. (I agree that a varied diet would keep cravings to a minimum, but I have a major food intolerance and a major food allergy. My food options are quite restricted.)
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Pickles, dill, zero calories. I buy the large containers from Sam's.
  • MrsQueenG
    MrsQueenG Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Have whatever your craving but log it. Then understand you may have to cut down or cut out other things through the day