Really slow metabolism???

Options
Hey guys, I'm feeling really bitter and upset after my weigh-in today (even had a little cry!) So would appreciate the advice.

I worked really hard last week to stay on calorie goal and on the couple of days I went over I made sure I went under the following day so that overall my week averaged at 1,200 a day.

I am taking adios tablets (which are herbal by the way and supposedly speed metabolism), and I have substituted tea for disgusting green tea.

The only weeks I have lost weight were when I netted at 900-1000 a day.

I tried eating more for a week to see if that worked. I tried eating 1,400-1,500 and gained 2 lbs!!!

It doesn't sound right does it?

I don't know what else to do!!!

Replies

• kkmorse
    kkmorse Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I'm just going to keep moving as much as I can and hope for the best.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was having the exact same problem...I stayed the same for months netting 1200-1400 and then started to gain when I went above that (tried it for a couple weeks....it eventually stopped and then stuck AGAIN) The only time I lose is when I NET 1000 calories, or even 900....so that is what I am doing for MY body, since that is what seems to work for me!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You havent mentioned what exercise you do?

Maybe you need to change your routine a bit, and unfortunately it might just be that you need to give it a little bit longer than a week to see more results?
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    This may be because your body had dipped into the "dreaded starvation mode" ( hate that name,wish there was something else to call it). Now that you are allowing it more food it is holding onto it. Seriously keep to this for another week and I promise you will see results.
    Other culpirits could be water retention,( too much sodium or water retention from a hard workout) or TOM.
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    You havent mentioned what exercise you do?

Maybe you need to change your routine a bit, and unfortunately it might just be that you need to give it a little bit longer than a week to see more results?

I do the cross trainer mainly as I have one at home. I do 40 minutes a day 4 times a week and zumba once a week. I tried running and it flared up an old knee injury so the docs told me to avoid running.

I know sometimes it does take longer then a week, but I haven't even lost half a pound-or even 0.1 pound! It just hasn't shifted in 8 days! :(
  • sakus32
    sakus32 Posts: 101
    Options
    When I plateau I not only change my workout routine to some intense interval workouts . . . . check out bodyrock.tv. online which you can do at home, but I also change up my food. If your active you need to keep your calories at a sustainable level. My trainers never encourage us to dip below 1200 a day so that we don't kick into the dreaded "starvation mode." Try mixing up your foods, lots of veggies with low fat/high protein meat and some metabolism boosting foods, like some dairy. Also remember, at some points, your body is building muscle and you WILL gain weight during these times. Before you stress and calorie restrict ask yourself how your clothes fit. Remeber, balanced healthy eating and exercise is the key to lean health bodies :) Update us on how your doing!!!
  • auryted
    auryted Posts: 9
    Options
    Scales can ruin my day so easily - if I don't see what I was hoping for, it bugs me until the next weigh-in. I know what you mean. i think it's because you don't have much weight to loose (you look healthy BMI???) because the closer you are to your goal weight the slower the loss becomes... Are you sure you are getting your calories from the right kind of food? High sugar food is making me gain even if I stay within 1200 calories. It's a terrible feeling to see the scales won't budge, but I'm sure you are getting there. Keep trying hard to stay healthy!
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    Scales can ruin my day so easily - if I don't see what I was hoping for, it bugs me until the next weigh-in. I know what you mean. i think it's because you don't have much weight to loose (you look healthy BMI???) because the closer you are to your goal weight the slower the loss becomes... Are you sure you are getting your calories from the right kind of food? High sugar food is making me gain even if I stay within 1200 calories. It's a terrible feeling to see the scales won't budge, but I'm sure you are getting there. Keep trying hard to stay healthy!

My mum usually home cooks a lot of my dinners but she is on holiday and therefore she has left me and my brother with mostly processed foods this past week. I have tried to compensate for them with exercise but maybe that is why. Also you are right about my BMI, I am a healthy weight however I want to be at the low end of healthy BMI.

Guess I will have to keep plodding on and if in a few weeks of eating 1,200 a day I don't lose then I will try eating slightly less.

Also, I am in the painful process of trying to quit smoking!!!
  • Mherring7654
    Mherring7654 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A few things I've found that work....

* Try lower intensity workouts. There's a specific heart rate goal you want to try and reach to lose weight. The key is that at the lower intensities, your body burns fat instead of carbs (Aerobic vs. Anaerobic). I don't know the specifics, so you might want to read up on that.
    * Eat smaller meals more often. By eating smaller meals more often, your metabolism continues to fire on all cylinders. Instead of eating a breakfast of 400 calories, for example, try breaking it up into a 200 calorie breakfast, and a 200 calorie morning snack.

Best of luck to you, I certainly hope that helps!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Change is your friend! If you are doing the same workout 4 times a week, you aren't challenging your body to change. Try some HIIT and split your workouts - maybe 2 lots of 30 mins a day if you can fit it in.
  • natijade
    natijade Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Like others have said I think you need to try something different exercise-wise. Cross-trainers are one of the worst things for your body to get used to easily.. Getting 30 day shred will probably help. But then you need to accept that you may gain muscle weight with that.

I think you should try that before dropping your cals down, but it's up to you. Also try watching what sorts of foods your eating. At the moment I'm trying to eat more protein and less fat and carbs and see how that effects my weightloss. That's the wonderful thing about MFP, you can see what works for you! I think you should try these things before you just drop your cals down, cals are only half the story.

Finally, you have a really healthy BMI hun. You're not going to diet healthily and lose every week. You know how you've dieted in the past is bad so stop thinking 'oh but if I did that it'd be gone.' You look wonderful as you are, you 're one of the most beautiful and slimmest girls I've ever known! And if you want to get back to your 'old self' how you were happy that's fine, but I think you need to stop obsessing about the scales. I think you should set yourself some Non-scale goals and have a think about what you've acheived. For instance I weighed myself on monday morning and the scales said I'd put on 4lb in 2 days. I was absolutely gutted, but I got myself through it thinking about all the positives, such as the fact that I was on day 6 of 30 day shred and I'd got that far and that I can fit comfortably in size 14 tops and even in a few size 12s. I really, really think you should set other goals. Do you measure yourself because that can help? Do it in CM not inches cuz you'll see a difference faster. I think you should challenge yourself in terms of fitness too. 30ds is a good start!

You're doing so well hun, I know how hard it is for you to do this the healthy way, but it really is the best thing! Just think about how much longer you'll live and how much better your life will be if you're healthy.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm feeling really bitter and upset after my weigh-in today (even had a little cry!) So would appreciate the advice.

I worked really hard last week to stay on calorie goal and on the couple of days I went over I made sure I went under the following day so that overall my week averaged at 1,200 a day.

I am taking adios tablets (which are herbal by the way and supposedly speed metabolism), and I have substituted tea for disgusting green tea.

The only weeks I have lost weight were when I netted at 900-1000 a day.

I tried eating more for a week to see if that worked. I tried eating 1,400-1,500 and gained 2 lbs!!!

It doesn't sound right does it?

I don't know what else to do!!!

In my eyes
    1200 a day should only be met 2 x in 7 days.

If been eating under 1200, then went all way upto 1400-1500 understandable where that 2lb came from.

Been doing this journey now for 17/18months eating 1200 or under doesnt get you anywhere.
    I'd up your calories slowly, start new exercise routine, shock your body, drink 4L of water and ditch those adios, at end of the day, keep eating every 2.5-3hrs you will have faster metabolism.
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    Like others have said I think you need to try something different exercise-wise. Cross-trainers are one of the worst things for your body to get used to easily.. Getting 30 day shred will probably help. But then you need to accept that you may gain muscle weight with that.

I think you should try that before dropping your cals down, but it's up to you. Also try watching what sorts of foods your eating. At the moment I'm trying to eat more protein and less fat and carbs and see how that effects my weightloss. That's the wonderful thing about MFP, you can see what works for you! I think you should try these things before you just drop your cals down, cals are only half the story.

Finally, you have a really healthy BMI hun. You're not going to diet healthily and lose every week. You know how you've dieted in the past is bad so stop thinking 'oh but if I did that it'd be gone.' You look wonderful as you are, you 're one of the most beautiful and slimmest girls I've ever known! And if you want to get back to your 'old self' how you were happy that's fine, but I think you need to stop obsessing about the scales. I think you should set yourself some Non-scale goals and have a think about what you've acheived. For instance I weighed myself on monday morning and the scales said I'd put on 4lb in 2 days. I was absolutely gutted, but I got myself through it thinking about all the positives, such as the fact that I was on day 6 of 30 day shred and I'd got that far and that I can fit comfortably in size 14 tops and even in a few size 12s. I really, really think you should set other goals. Do you measure yourself because that can help? Do it in CM not inches cuz you'll see a difference faster. I think you should challenge yourself in terms of fitness too. 30ds is a good start!

You're doing so well hun, I know how hard it is for you to do this the healthy way, but it really is the best thing! Just think about how much longer you'll live and how much better your life will be if you're healthy.

Aw hun, this brought a tear to my eye! Bless you! I love that you understand how hard this is for me and what I've been through with weight loss in the past. Thanks so much, that was just what I needed! Going to do a Rosemary Conley exercise dvd today instead of cross trainer! Cannot wait for 30 day shred to come through!!!! Miss you xx