SO LOST PLEASE HELP!!!

Options
Hey guys,
So I'll put some pics in here but idk what to do. I'm 6'2 227 lbs but I have a decent amount of fat and am not that strong for my weight. I bench 80lb dumbells 5 reps 4 sets, incline 70lb dumbells 5 reps 4 sets. Deadlift about 205 5 reps for 4 sets. Just to give you guys a base strength for me, but I don't look the way I want. I wanna have definition. Do you guys think I should be cutting or bulking? What should I do please help!!!wwgj2cyn1zw1.png
82qzssqk5c5f.png
jtd8ewfsxpfc.png

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Follow a proven progressive lifting program (not something you just make up as you go). And either cut or eat at maintenance.

This link has lots of great progressive lifting programs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Cut.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bulk first for six to eight months. Then cut.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cut. You won't get definition by bulking.

But please get on a decent lifting program to maximise the return from your investment in time and effort.
  • mnolan1230
    mnolan1230 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

But please get on a decent lifting program to maximise the return from your investment in time and effort.

Can you explain that second part?
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    mnolan1230 wrote: »

He means get on a progressive overload program, like was suggested at the top of the thread. If you are just lifting willy-nilly without a proper program, you're not maximizing your efforts. You're wasting time, in other words. So get a on a proven progressive overload program.

Because when you are eating at a deficit - cutting - you will lose fat AND muscle. The only way to minimize the muscle loss is to lift, and to do that efficiently and effectively you need a good program.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Following an established program with proven results rather than just willy nilly making up your own thing. It takes quite a bit of knowledge to do your own programming...many people end up with imbalances because they only program in stuff they like and much of it typically involves only the "beach" muscles while other parts of the body are ignored. It's a good way to spin your wheels...results are inefficient at best...non-existent at worst.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Coming from a woman who thinks your overall body shape/type is great... eat at maintenance, or do only a very mild calorie deficit while doing a progressive lifting program. If you can control your diet well, eat at least 20-25% of calories from protein. If you stick with that, you're going to reap some sweet rewards.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

OP.. here is a link to some various established programs these gentlemen are referring to.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • mnolan1230
    Options
    I know that I have to lift heavy and get on a well tested workout plan, I'm just confused on if I should eat at a caloric surplus (I know I'd gain fat too) or a caloric deficit (I don't want to just look skinny)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You have to break down your personal transformation project in to two parts.
    1. I am suggesting bulking (eating at a surplus) for six to eight months while on a recommended progressive program as listed above. Just because you mention you are not as strong as you would like. You won't get stronger without muscles. By doing the bulk first you will look bigger and still soft.
    2. Go on a "cut" to remove the surplus fat showing off your muscles. You won't look soft any more.
    You won't grow muscles on a "cut", and if you "cut" first, you won't be happy with the skinny body underneath.
  • jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Tom ... Brady ??
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a small calorie deficit (~250 calories a day) at first (so a slow cut). You'll probably get some newby gains. Once you drop 10ish pounds re-evaluate. You might want to bulk slowly at that point.
  • sijomial
    Options

Sorry for the late reply - I've been to the gym!
    I've been going to gyms for four decades now and it's frustrating to see so many people (especially young men) doing awful programs they have either made up themselves, just winging it with no structure or focus, doing lifts and silly body part splits that are completely wrong for them.

Going to the gym is good, training properly is great.

• mnolan1230
    Options

I've been going to gyms for four decades now and it's frustrating to see so many people (especially young men) doing awful programs they have either made up themselves, just winging it with no structure or focus, doing lifts and silly body part splits that are completely wrong for them.

Okay sounds good I'll start looking!! What do you recommend me doing for my body type? Cut or bulk?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I know that I have to lift heavy and get on a well tested workout plan, I'm just confused on if I should eat at a caloric surplus (I know I'd gain fat too) or a caloric deficit (I don't want to just look skinny)

The idea for bulking (eating at a surplus) is that you or anyone wanting to build muscle, would want to get to an optimal bodyfat% (around 15%). Bulking when already at a higher bodyfat% will produce less than optimal results. If you do NOT care about gaining excess fat you can move into bulk if you want.

Based on this, I think you should do a small cut (250 cals deficit) and start the progressive over load strength program now. Protein intake should be optimal as well to handle your goal. While you will not be building much mass outside of newbie gains depending on where you are in your lifting experience , you will be priming your body for the next phase which is bulking (surplus cals 250 on top of your maintenance).

eta: this link provides some information that covers the basics for bulking.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners/p1
  • sijomial
    Options

Okay sounds good I'll start looking!! What do you recommend me doing for my body type? Cut or bulk?

Cut for sure from what you said is your goal.
    You say you want definition - that comes from losing body fat far more than muscle size.

The only reason for someone to bulk from where you are is if they put strength and muscle gain above all else and aren't in the slightest bothered that they are carrying a lot of fat too - a power lifter or strongman competitor perhaps?
  • mnolan1230
    Options

You say you want definition - that comes from losing body fat far more than muscle size.

The only reason for someone to bulk from where you are is if they put strength and muscle gain above all else and aren't in the slightest bothered that they are carrying a lot of fat too - a power lifter or strongman competitor perhaps?
    Okay and you think I can achieve definition from my muscle %i have right now? Sorry for so many questions
  • sijomial
    Options

Okay and you think I can achieve definition from my muscle %i have right now? Sorry for so many questions
    "Definition" isn't a single point - it's a wide range.
    This might give you an idea...
    https://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

You can also be defined, small and light of course - to have good muscle definition and be big takes a long time if that's your aim.

You are going to have to assess as you go.