Best way to burn fat???

Options
Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to burn fat. I am 28 and have a bit of a belly! I have joined the gym and do a lot of cardio but I don't seem to be losing any fat. Is the best way to get burn fat to run as hard as I can for as long as I can or is there another way?!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

James

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    intervals are good for fat burning.

just the general principles of eat less exercise more really! and try not to get too impatient!
  • KarenHarper71
    Options
    Try swimming...or for belly fat sit ups should help, as previous post 'don't be impatient' do a few a day this will get the fat off rather than turning it just to muscle......good luck x
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    weight loss is 80% watching what you eat and 20% exercise. You can't really spot reduce with exercise, but you can tone and firm.
  • emereyda
    emereyda Posts: 22
    Options
    well, excersise in the morning on empty stomach, use some fat burners before excersising, eat grapefruit a day (speed up your metabolism), drink only water or tea with no sugar (say good bye to ALL soft drinks), cut on your sugar amounts (sugar 'nicely' lies down on the belly). It really helped me. All my trousers just hanging on my hips now (they were tight in June!) Maybe coz I'm pear-shaped woman, but belly was the first thing I lost the fat off.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    1st I'll say this. You can't out train poor eating habits.
    2nd - let's see your food log cuz as someone already stated...80% of your results are going to come from your diet.
    3rd. Sugar does infact (as already stated by emereyda) causes your stomach to increase in size.
    Take a look at my food logs to see how much sugar I eat a day. I try to stay under 5 teaspoons full. This week as been under 3 so far.
    Read the book - the belly fat cure.

Next is the exercise...HIIT Cardio is the best cardio for fat burning.
    The other component is building muscle. Muscle burns fat.
  • jstrohs1
    jstrohs1 Posts: 66
    Options
    Maybe switch to a very low carb diet. Stay away from starches,such as potatoes, breads,rice and continue going to the gym!
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I once read from a reputable source that if you keep your heart rate consistent at about 55-60% of your maximum heart rate, you will start burning fat after 30 minutes. So if you work out for 60 minutes, the last half would be fat burn. For me that is about 19 or 20 heartbeats in 10 seconds, which is walking at about 3.3-3.5 mph. You would have to consult a target heart rate chart to find out how many beats per minute you should shoot for. But one of the other posters had a good idea in saying body type may be a factor -- you may just have to be persistant and wait it out.
  • sgrinavi
    sgrinavi Posts: 80
    Options
    For your body to utilize fat as fuel you need to first get rid of the energy stores that are in your cells. You can do this with, really, almost any kind of exercise. Once your body is rid of the immediately available fuel you will then start to convert stored energy, fat being one of them, for fuel.

There are many protocols that claim to be the best, but I think they all work well. Personally I think that high intensity interval training is the most efficient way, but you can also get your body into the "fat burning zone" (60-70% of MHR) and leave it parked there for an hour, or so.

SO, what I like to do to maximize time

First thing in the morning, roll out of bed, drink some water, take an energy booster then

1. Warm up with a 10 minute ab workout, gaining intensity as I go
    2. Do 20-30 mins of strength training to utilize those fuel stores
    3. Get on the spin bike for as long as I can and run intervals, I've been going for an hour, but half of that would be fine
  • JamesStevo
    Options
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. You have all been very helpful.
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Try swimming...or for belly fat sit ups should help, as previous post 'don't be impatient' do a few a day this will get the fat off rather than turning it just to muscle......good luck x

That is not true, sit ups won't do anything for belly fat. This is an old misconception. You simply cannot spot reduce fat. The only thing sit ups will do is give you ripped abs...under a nice layer of fat.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

That is not true, sit ups won't do anything for belly fat. This is an old misconception. You simply cannot spot reduce fat. The only thing sit ups will do is give you ripped abs...under a nice layer of fat.

Love this ^^
  • t_prentice1
    Options
    Lift weights!! then let your brand new muscles do the work!
  • rtoledo71
    Options

Sit ups will do nothing for this. This will only strengthen your abs. This is a COMPLETE myth.
  • jrn1115
    jrn1115 Posts: 35
    Options
    Diet wise, stay away from tons of sugar and bad fats.
    With regard to exercise, I highly recommend taking a spinning class. Works your core muscles and an hour long class burns anywhere from 500 to 1000 calories!