Not sleeping well

Options
Since I've started the lose 10 lbs in August the challenge is burn 500 calories, which I have accomplished both days so far. But I'm not sleeping well at night now, it's like I'm all keyed up and can't sleep well. Any suggestions I'm spreading the exercise out some in morning some at night. It's just hard to do because I work a full time job and I'm a wife and mother so I squeeze in where I can. Any suggestions will help thanks.

Replies

• e_lea
    e_lea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew! I've started having the same problem. Exhausted but can't sleep. I also keep waking up.
  • jennyocox
    jennyocox Posts: 143
    Options
    Maybe if you try something that burns but is more calming at the end of the day. I love Yoga for the end of the day. If my workouts are running late I try and finish with a low energy yoga, or some meditation or relaxation (I have NO DVD's I just record them from the Fitness TV channels, especially for this purpose). It can help slow down your mind and relax your muscles for sleep.

Also, chamomille is good. If you don't like the tea, you can take a homoepathic remedy instead.
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    Yoga is perfect exercise before bed, I have a relaxation yoga dvd which totally chills me out if I need help relaxing x
  • Hernandezedw
    Options
    I find the Yoga DVD I do puts me to sleep by the end. Often take a short nap on the floor.
  • Fitfornowt
    Fitfornowt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Dr Stuarts Valerian Plus tea half an hour before bedtime :smile:
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    If I work out too near my bedtime, I get all those wonderful endorphins flowing, and they get me too wired for sleep. I decided it was easier to give up sleep in the morning, so I now get up super-early to get my exercise done. It's cool and quiet. My workout is done before I'm even aware that I'm doing it. And I get through my day better, knowing that I've already done the hardest thing I'll need to do.

Life can get in the way if I put it off. We tend to short ourselves on our needs when we perceive those around us as needing our time more. Make your exercise a priority, rather than something you get to do only if there's time. Unless it's life or death, my exercise schedule is posted for all to see, and it is NON-NEGOTIABLE!

If you are like my daughter, and simply can't bear the idea of morning exercise, try doing it as early as you can so you'll have time to ramp down. Try some relaxing tea. I've started doing yoga each evening for flexibility and relaxation (there are lots of 10 min segments on youtube). And the supplement Melatonin is crazy-good for bedtime. No side effects at all!.

Good luck!
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You are a bit young to be suffering from age/hormonal sleep problems. I began to have problems sleeping right around 40. For several years, I slept for 4 to 5 hours a night. I would go to sleep, and wake up for a couple of hours in the middle of the night. HATED IT! Things have improved, but I will never be able to sleep like I did during my teens and twenties!

What helps me:
    regular exercise
    no caffine after 2:00 PM

What really helps me:
    no alcohol :cry: :cry:
    I enjoy a drink or two at most in the evening. Unfortunately, drinking even one does have an impact on my sleep. It also really adds to the calories. So... I try not to have my beloved margarita or glass of wine every night. Sometimes though, I decide that my sleep will just have to suffer!!

I've given up all but one of my vices... someday soon, I guess I will have to give up the last one :sad: :sad:

Sweet dreams & good luck :drinker: :drinker: