Swimmers anyone? Very heavy?

Options
I have just started and have 150+ lbs to lose. Because of my weight my knees are very bad and the pool is the best idea for me. I was a swimmer in my youth, and wow -- I can still swim. Not for a super long time or anything, but been building stamina every day even though just started this week. I wasn't going to work out today because I work out before work and I needed to get in very early for a project. But I got done with the project early, and I went to the gym and feel great having done that. I die inside putting on my swimsuit and being in the locker room, but I'm bucking up and ignoring body shame. What am I going to do? Gotta do it.

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    No one can see anything pertinent when you’re in the water. And out of it? Who cares what they think! Your health is much more important than the opinions of any small minded people. Put your costume on and strut to the pool. You got this!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting!

Swimming is great if your heavy, because we're all nearly the same weight in water ;) .

I also recommend aqua bike and water aerobics, if your pool has them.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Does your locker room have any private changing areas? If not, drape a huge beach towel over your back and shoulders while changing. Honestly, no one cares.
  • ohhapidays
    ohhapidays Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, Ive just joined the sports centre to do this. I am a ex warrior big c survivor so there is not a lot I can do but I have a ace smile. I am staying focus on me for a change because when I get there after the longest walk ever from the changing rooms I am going to meet the "oh how many miles person "
    One I will be so pleased with my self for getting there haha
    Two if I swim a length of the baths I will be pleased
    Three the next time if I still only swim a length I will be still please as I still went.
    What I am trying to say is I am setting my own goals. Working on them for me. One thing I learned from having cancer is its not always the cancer that gets you its the fear. Changing a feeling of fear (or what ifs) back to simply a word is so hard. So I am staying focused on what I can achieve. What am I going to do when the mile swimmer asks how many length? I am going to say one length and I am so proud of me. Then I will congratulate her on her second mile because everyones story is beautiful.
    Hope this helps haha Ive yet to get in the water next week
  • Timberla82
    Timberla82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yay for swimming! My sister - who also has a stack of weight to lose - started swimming earlier this year. She absolutely hated being seen by other people in swimmers, feeling really shy and awkward and like everyone was staring and judging, but she says she's starting to care less and less. It's taken 6 months and she still feels a bit shy about it but she's not AS concerned about it. I think it's partly an adjustment thing and fades over time (I know that's the case for me) and, as you keep swimming, it'll just get better bit by bit. Keep swimming!! All of us shy swimmer-wearers are cheering for you (and for us)!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Swimming for almost 25 years now+doing acquagym 3x a week. We have all shapes and sizes in the pool, and all levels of swimmers. Do people look at you when you first arrive--sure we look at everyone. Then we get back to our routine. Just smile at everyone, say hello, ask questions if you need to, and you'll be fine. People are always worried about what they look like, but people actually admire you for starting to exercise. Bite the bullet and start--you'll be so glad you did.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    New swimmer here! LOVE IT. I paid for lessons a few months back because I could swim, but I was crap at it (never having more instruction than essentially being thrown in the water and told to swim) and so nearly every sunday I'm in the water with an instructor for a half hour, and then I try to get to the gym 2-3 times during the week. My breathing SUCKS hardcore, but I am getting so much stronger and it's made a huge difference in my weightloss.

I also was really self conscious when I started because of my weight, but now I'm more self conscious about using a snorkle for some of my laps and could give a rats backside about my chub.

Congrats on getting back in the water and good luck!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Started swimming lessons a few weeks back. First time I've been in the water and not had a shirt on (I'm a guy) but *kitten* it. I want to learn to swim so I'm the fat guy learning to swim.

But the lessons really do wear me out.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Started swimming lessons a few weeks back. First time I've been in the water and not had a shirt on (I'm a guy) but *kitten* it. I want to learn to swim so I'm the fat guy learning to swim.

But the lessons really do wear me out.

Good for you! Swimming is great.
  • tammi65
    tammi65 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have just started and have 150+ lbs to lose. Because of my weight my knees are very bad and the pool is the best idea for me. I was a swimmer in my youth, and wow -- I can still swim. Not for a super long time or anything, but been building stamina every day even though just started this week. I wasn't going to work out today because I work out before work and I needed to get in very early for a project. But I got done with the project early, and I went to the gym and feel great having done that. I die inside putting on my swimsuit and being in the locker room, but I'm bucking up and ignoring body shame. What am I going to do? Gotta do it.

Keep going youll get stronger
  • wendyrock13
    wendyrock13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Water is my exercise of choice. Knee and back pain plus I've very heavy too. I've always loved the water. Part of my insurance is Silver Sneakers. Free gym membership! When I find myself making excuses not to go, I have to remind myself how good the water feels. I'm new to MFP and yesterday I actually made the decision that I had to go if I wanted to eat dinner, as I had a to large lunch. I laugh at myself, but it's a big step. I also take aqua fit classes. My mantra is small steps. Make short term goals like swim 20 min three times a week, not loose 5 lbs this week. I am very thankful for MFP it's helping me to put the puzzle together. Oh, I usually swim and exercise in the water for an hour now. I didn't start doing that long, but I got there rather quickly.
  • wendyrock13
    wendyrock13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Music helps to pass the time and make it more fun. You can get waterproof earphones, or even use a speaker at the pool. I also love to dance, and can't do it anymore. In the water I can. Sure I might look silly dancing but really I don't care. I've also found that people at the gym don't care how fat you are, they admire you working to improve yourself.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I really need to get my *kitten* back in the pool, I love swimming and surprised myself at how much I could do in a session.

Iv not been for months now though partly due to health issues and partly due to not wanted to put my swimsuit on after gaining a whopping 56lbs due to an undiagnosed hypo thyroid. which is so so so rubbish as Id lost 34lbs and dropped 2 dress sizes between june 16 and December 16 prior to this problem, now on meds for that though and the weight is slowly trying its best to come off again so its probably time I got moving again.

Something I realised when I was swimming last year though is that NOBODY notices what you look like in you swimsuit as most people are too busy worrying about what they look like and what others are thinking about them.
    (although this didnt make me feel any more confident lol)
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Any hoo, after 8 laps on Monday with recovery time in between (short laps -- small pool), I did 36 today (3 sets of 12 with water weight lifting in between sets)! I'm doing the breast stroke, back stroke, and freestyle as each use different muscle groups

Here are couple ways to track progress or set goals for your swimming.
    How long did it take to do the laps?
    Try to improve the time it takes to do each set or reduce your recovery times between sets.

How long are you swimming?
    Maybe you want to try to swim longer or get in max distance in a certain time frame.

How long was each stroke taking?
    It is very important that you don't compare freestyle to backstroke to breaststroke. No one swims the same split for all three strokes. Additionally you will not improve your times in all the three strokes at the same rate. Try to decrease the split times or increase the volume in the same time.

How do you look in the water?
    Have your trainer look at your form and ask for suggestions on where you could improve stroke efficiency. Typically changing body positioning stroke drills & kicking/pulling drills can improve strokes/lap, distance/stroke, kicks/stroke, breathing efficiency, cadence, body roll, etc.
  • SarahMMDuckham
    SarahMMDuckham Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That is very helpful. Heading to gym now. Lost 13 lbs first week so the swimming is something that must be continued.