Opinions on homemade soup and frozen veggies

2»

Replies

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    I just made a pot of homemade tomato soup yesterday. Low calorie and delicious. If you are interested.

PinkyPan's Tomato Soup
    Servings
    calories per serving

4 Ingredients
    1 container (4 cup (240ml) ea.) Free Range Chicken Broth - Fat Free
    Simple Truth Organic....calories 20
    Total Fat 0 Total Carbs 0 Protein 4

0.50 container (10 tbsp) Tomato Paste
    Kroger...calories 75
    Total Fat 0 Total Carbs 15 Protein 5

640 g Roma Tomato (G)
    Raw...calories 448
    Total Fat 6 Total Carbs 9 1 Protein 13

6 g Onions, raw -
    calories 30
    Total Fat 0 Total Carbs 7 Protein 1

Slice tomatoes, onions and roast at 400 degrees for @ 15 minutes. Remove from oven and puree. On the stove in a sauce pan add broth, puree tomatoes, onions. Bring to boil and then add tomato paste stir well until the paste is blended well. Simmer and add spices. I added basil and pepper.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Yes, make soup. Thousands of recipes online. Get going.
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Lentil soup is probably my favourite. 100s of variations, all so good. Lots of good beans soups too.

All of them are flexible and forgiving
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited October 2017
    I love soup! I have a few staples that I make frequently. My favorite one lately...

- sauteed veggies in the bottom of the soup pot with olive oil (celery, carrots, sliced baby bella mushrooms)
    - after that's done, I add 2 big cans of petite diced tomatoes
    - then I add about 8 cups of my favorite stock (boxed stuff that I buy) and some water
    - bring that to a simmer
    - while that's simmering, I prepare meatballs using 1 lb of 90/10 ground beef. I drop them raw into the pot and simmer for at least an hour
    - at this point, I add a green of some sort and simmer for about 10 more minutes. I usually use baby spinach or baby bok choy. I throw in maybe a teaspoon of vinegar to brighten the flavors.
    - I season throughout with salt and pepper, dried parsley, plenty of my fav garlic and onion powder, and a little red pepper flakes.
    - I usually serve with some Parmesan cheese (which is also in my meatball recipe).

I make about 7 servings from this and each serving gets 2 meatballs. Calories end up being about 400 for a huge bowl.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    @PinkyPan1 Mmm that sounds good! I've actually never pureed anything before. :open_mouth:
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Awesome ideas here. I make black bean soup every 2 weeks. So simple. Saute onion and jalapeno add cumin, salt and Adobe seasoning. Add a big can of black beans plus a small can of Mexican style tomato,sauce and one can water or stock. Cook at least 20 min and puree.

As with nearly all soups it's much better the 2nd day. And so versatile add celery and carrots (with onion) if you have them..no big deal if you dont.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    I like to throw variety in soups by using lots of flavoring ingredients like curry pastes and the like. I also like to use a variety of frozen mixed vegetables like Trader Joe's "soycatash" or Birdseye's more unusual mixes like broccoli, sugar snap peas and water chestnuts.

One staple I keep on hand is homemade stock. In fact, I will make a "bathtubful" today for the freezer. I watch for those 10 lb. bags of chicken leg quarters to be on sale and then roast it all at once. I portion the meat into meal-sized portions and save the bones, skin, sinews, etc. to make stock which I freeze in one- and two-cup deli containers. You don't need a big freezer for this. I just have the little top-of-the-fridge one.