Will the rest of my body catch up? - Help.

Options
Heya!

So far in my short weight loss journey I have lost almost 6KG which makes me happy. Some has come off my belly and arms, but I have noticed my legs have lost the most. Even when I measured them today my thighs went from 63cm to 61cm and it is a lot more noticeable than the rest of my body. I know I'm more of an inverted triangle shape, but how thin will my legs get before the rest of my body catches up? Will there be a time when they will just stop shrinking? I do legs once a week in the gym and the rest is focused on arms/back etc. Can someone explain how I could pause the shrinking a little so I am not so out of proportion ?

Replies

• boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can really "pause" something.
    If I could get rid of my belly and pause everything else, I'd be on it.
    Maybe you are doing more cardio, than weights?
    I am no expert though. I am just gradually starting to put in more weights to work on my arms.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    where you gain weight and lose weight is genetic, so you may have to live with ripped chicken legs, just to have your upper body close to where you want it.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat or "pause" fat loss from one area. When you say you do legs once a week, what does that consist of?
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    boehle wrote: »
    I don't think you can really "pause" something.
    If I could get rid of my belly and pause everything else, I'd be on it.
    Maybe you are doing more cardio, than weights?
    I am no expert though. I am just gradually starting to put in more weights to work on my arms.

Me too sista!!!!! lol
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    It's genetics, hormones, and current body composition that determines where you lose from. That said, eventually we all lose from everywhere. My sister and I both carry a lot of weight in our hips/butts/thighs. We can have trim waists that keep getting smaller while our hips barely budge, inches-wise. To be happy with my proportions I have to drop to a lower weight than I would if I were more straight up and down.

By contrast, my husband loses and gains in his face first. He can be a normal weight but if he puts on so much as 5 lbs, 4 of it seems to be in his face, double chin and all even though he's got visible abs.
  • Trinilove72
    Trinilove72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite. I am pear shaped and wish I could lose more on my thighs. I lost 13 lbs and the only noticeable difference is skinnier arms.
  • Sauleeh
    Sauleeh Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat or "pause" fat loss from one area. When you say you do legs once a week, what does that consist of?

The weight machines in the gym that when I joined the gym they recommend me I use. They set up a little program for me so I have been going by that and after I do any weights I do cardio either cross trainer or running.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be awesome if we could chose where the fat comes off? My legs and backside are perfect right now. I'd prefer they not get any smaller. But I still have a little tire around my waist. I'm thinking I need to lose another 20 lbs or so to get rid of it. But what if it all just comes off from the wrong places? Just gotta do it and see what happens.
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    Sauleeh wrote: »

The weight machines in the gym that when I joined the gym they recommend me I use. They set up a little program for me so I have been going by that and after I do any weights I do cardio either cross trainer or running.

Keep doing what you are doing. Once you are comfortable with the workout they gave you, you can progress by adding weight and/or different exercises. Squats, lunges...both very good for building muscle in the legs.

Check out Strong Lifts.

Yes @ladyhusker39 I too wish I could choose where to lose fat from...I wouldn't have the mom pouch! :| I would suggest lifting weights in conjunction with a calorie deficit.

It will happen for both of you. I had the same thing happen. I am still waiting for my belly to catch up...LOL
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I also think the body shape is genetic.
    I wish I could kind of swap with you a little bit. At the start of my weight loss, my waist was about 37-38 inches and my thighs were about 40 inches or so. Now, over 20kg down, my waist is 28'' and my thighs are 38''. My waist is now tiny compared to my hips, and I just don't think my hips can get any narrower - it's just how my hip bones are shaped.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am also an inverted triangle and like you, OP, I lose in my legs and hips first, then belly, then upper body. My shoulders are as broad as my husband's, which makes women's shirts really difficult, but I've learned to be at peace with it.

Good news is the current fashion trend is for oversized tops and skinny jeans. That look is great for our shape.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I always lose face and stomach first, followed by upper body and finally hips and butt. This has been my pattern every time I lose >20 lbs. Whether I do it with tons of cardio, or simply caloric reduction.

Building up on the other hand I have a certain degree of control over by weight training and focusing on certain muscle groups.
  • brendajfg
    brendajfg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can't really relate as I have heavy thighs and a smaller upper body, but seeing any change should be encouraging. You gain and lose weight in a pattern based on genetics. Your upper body will catch up. In the meantime enjoy your losses and dress for the figure you currently have. Great job on the weight loss so far!
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Guess I'm lucky- I get fat evenly and lose pretty evenly- but the first thing I've noticed is slimmer face, belly and ankles- a lot of bloat I'd imagine- like someone stuck a pin in me :D

• Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight in my feet to the point of being able to see the bones clearly hands are similar. From knees down and elbows down I have no fat left. And you can count my ribs (pretty good for obese, huh). My face ends up looking super thin before I even hit overweight levels.

My trouble spots are elbow to shoulder and from a little below belly button to a tad above knee. That’s apparently where all my fat lives. And it doesn’t want to go!

Everyone loses differently. Some people Store fat in belly more than hips and thighs, some in lower limbs instead of upper, etc. We just have to work with the cards we are given and make the best of it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on you loss. The fact is you HAVE lost all over and you said as much. It just doesn't match your perception of what you want to happen. Keep working at it and be patient!