Friday fakeaway!

Options
Irs Friday guys! And I’m determined not to fall off the band wagon and get a take away!

Does anyone have any healthy tips and cheats for making healthy pizza, chicken peices and sauces?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Make your own.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    How many calories do you have? Would alternatives be just as satisfying to you as the conventional foods?
    Sometimes I find it better to just go for the conventional food when I weigh the calories and satisfaction. Some foods are surprisingly doable on a diet (like pasta in my case). With some other things, a modified version satisfies me just as well for lower calories, so I go for that (like oven fries).

A general guideline for modifying recipes for lower calories:
    - Use less fat (baking/roasting potatoes instead of frying)
    - Bulk with vegetables (more vegetables in pasta, for example)
    - Smaller/thinner things that are not as essential to the recipe in large volumes (thinner crust pizza or going lighter on the cheese)
    - Substitute when the result will be just as good (some like cauliflower mash just as much as potato mash and it hits the same notes for them, not in my case, I usually just go for mashed potatoes)
  • katherineleggett
    katherineleggett Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Make your own.

That’s the plan. Just was after some recipes
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Make your own.

That’s the plan. Just was after some recipes

pizza base, tomato puree, loads of veg, ham or chicken, and as much cheese as your calories allow.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I've crumbed chicken breast pieces in crumbs (you can use almond meal, breadcrumbs, quinoa flakes, etc for the crumbs - whatever works for your macros), then freeze.

I bake them in the oven (you could lightly spray with oil) - because they're frozen, you can cook them long enough to get them to go brown and crunchy without drying out the meat too much.

pizza....just make your own. use low fat cheese, get a thin base or pitta bread/wrap (or dough and roll your own), lean meats, loads of vegies.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What do you tend to get from the takeaway?

• katherineleggett
    Options

Everything. Pizza. Stuffed crust. Garlic bread. Chicken bits. Sauces
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Have you tried broadening your palate? You may be surprised with the new favorites you might find if you try something new every now and then. Eating in a limited way while modifying everything may be a little bit hard if you eventually get bored and unsatisfied with it and have nothing but the real thing to fall back on. Don't get me wrong, I eat fast food sometimes, I eat modified versions of fast food sometimes when the modification is satisfying, but I also eat loads of dishes that are naturally lower in calories without modification which I absolutely love.
  • katherineleggett
    Options
    Have you tried broadening your palate? You may be surprised with the new favorites you might find if you try something new every now and then. Eating in a limited way while modifying everything may be a little bit hard if you eventually get bored and unsatisfied with it and have nothing but the real thing to fall back on. Don't get me wrong, I eat fast food sometimes, I eat modified versions of fast food sometimes when the modification is satisfying, but I also eat loads of dishes that are naturally lower in calories without modification which I absolutely love.

Don’t get me wrong. I love food. I think I have a fairly varied diet and will eat pretty much anything. Pizza is just my weakness and I crave it so need a way of having it without the naughtyness
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I'd get a frozen pizza from the supermarket... 800 yummy calories that should be easy enough to fit into your weekly calorie goal.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

For pizza I use half a wrap, top it with tomato puree and some chilli flakes. Top with onions, mushrooms and chicken breast. Then use 1/4 low fat mozzerella ball.

The other half of the wrap top with low fat olive spread, garlic, parsley.

The whole thing comes to around 600 calories and is lovely.

Chicken bits, marinade chicken breast chunks in your favourite spice mix. Make a range of dips for them, sarachia sauce. Garlic and herbs mixed in to quark.
    Serve with stir fried veg pack.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

Don’t get me wrong. I love food. I think I have a fairly varied diet and will eat pretty much anything. Pizza is just my weakness and I crave it so need a way of having it without the naughtyness

Makes sense. I don't eat pizza often, but when I do I usually order thin crust (which, interestingly, I discovered I like it better). I have seen interesting pita pizzas. I made a breakfast one the other day which was great.

I'm also considering this (thin crust, less cheese), but have yet to get around to it:
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/mini-garlic-pizzas/cb2d0355-379e-4f55-893d-89655dd799d1
  • captainlindsay25
    captainlindsay25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to make pizza on a peice of pita bread to shave calories
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own thin-crust pizza - mine comes in at something like 230 cals a large slice... It comes down to working your base and your cheese down and your cals will drop with! The pizza that my husband and I prefer specifically is a bbq-sauce, bacon, pineapple, and onion (which may sound kind of gross, but it's become a favorite of our friends). Easing up on the cheese and making two large pizzas out of a 2-lb dough I make in my bread machine makes it completely reasonable to eat 2 slices with a nice salad and be stuffed. If I wanted to drop the cals even more, I could swap out the bacon and make it a veggie pizza (but bacon!).

I've also made pizza using homemade naan as a base, which was also delicious (although I like to flip it and make an alfredo pizza on the naan), as well as using tortillas, which for me didn't hit the mark - I think it was an issue with execution though, as the tortillas were floppy and I like a firmer crust.

I have recipes saved for all kinds of different pizza base recipes on Pinterest - that could be a great place to start as well!
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I find pizza doesn't necessarily need cheese, if I top it with a really tasty tomato sauce. Here's my mom's, it's delicious and easy:

1 small onion, diced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    6 oz tomato paste
    8 oz tomato sauce
    1 Tbsp dry oregano

Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat through, stirring to avoid burning.

Delicious on homemade crust, frozen crust, or just a tortilla. Top with lots of veggies. (Full disclosure, I recently became vegan, but I had plenty of cheeseless pizzas before...this is a genuine suggestion.)