Should i get surgery

Options
I am currently at 425 pounds. I have done every diet. I went to the gym and put a hour of cardio on a treadmill for a hour a day 5 days a week. I ate small healthy meals five times a day. {I even went in to check to see if it is a glandular problem, its not.} I cut out carbs and sweets which oddly wasn't that hard to do with research. But the weight remains.

The fat has gotten so bad no i cant even stretch anymore, the fat folds on itself and restricts my movement. So should i just break down and get some surgical aid.

Replies

• Kingofsquirrelz
    Kingofsquirrelz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My bad, this is under foods. Dont know how to change that
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Have you tried counting calories?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I went for the surgery. I got a lot of counselling along the way. Follow all the advice and it can be a real life changer.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should stop 'dieting' and change your habits? Input your details and use the calorie goal MFP gives you as a basis for calorie intake. Weigh and measure everything to ensure you really are eating as well as you think.

Using the treadmill isn't anywhere as effective as walking outside. If you can, Try walking outside for an hour and increasing your distance, within the hour. I use Map My Walk to record distances, so I can compare them next time I go that route.

Give it six months before considering surgery.
    Good luck x
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't do diets. To lose weight, you just need to consistently eat fewer calories than you burn. Your body burns a lot of calories every day just to keep you alive, so in theory, losing weight should be really easy, and fast at your current weight. But in practice, you have aquired a lot of bad habits and unhealthy preferences, and changing habits is hard, if you don't want to change your preferences. This means that you have to work on your attitudes, and get in real, true information, and forget a lot of misinformation.

You don't have to exercise to lose weight. But you have to eat less. MFP tells you how much you should eat to lose weight. If you follow the recommendation, and do it correctly - log everything you eat/drink, always, in the correct amounts, and use real entries, you will, over time, lose weight.

You don't have to eat anything in particular, or follow any particular meal schedule. You don't have to cut out anything, and you can't cut out "carbs" - many foods containing carbohydrate are really good for you.

You may find it easier to stick to a reduced calorie intake (and you must do that in order to lose weight) if you take both taste and nutrition into consideration. A healthy diet makes you feel good, and so will food you like. There isn't necessarily a conflict between nutritious and tasty, but everybody don't have the same preferences; on the other hand, preferences often change through exposure and time.

You have to put in a great effort, over many years, to lose the weight, and then continue for the rest of your life to keep it off. Make a plan you can see yourself happily able to stick to forever.

If you have any medical and/or mental issues, seek help. You will lose weight if you eat less, but you need to take care of all of you, not just your weight.

At any rate, do not have weightloss surgery. All it does, is force you to eat less. You can decide to eat less. And you won't have any nasty side effects.
  • kcraine71
    kcraine71 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I feel like I've been beating my head against a wall, as well. One thing that I might suggest is to meet with a nutritionist who can test your metabolism. Honestly, I think mine must be asleep all the time because I have to be so strict about my diet an exercise for the scale to budge.

My advice: avoid the surgery, if you can. But, it wouldn't hurt to have a consultation to discuss your options.
  • dante8993
    dante8993 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I and 3 other people in my family had Lap Band. 1 out of 4 of us kept the weight off. It’s not as easy as it sounds. I’m an emotional eater do that didn’t help, plus you have to be beyond serious. There are also side effects, vomiting, getting stuck, taking like 40 minuets to eat because you have to chew VERY slowly. Now I do know few people who had Gastric Bypass , they say it’s ok but it also has side effects. I would for sure get some kind of counseling. I’m with you, I also have A LOT to loose and it’s just over whelming , but st the same time we can’t stop. I truly wish you the best of luck!
  • perriwinklejones
    perriwinklejones Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    WLS is a tool. You still have to watch your portions (more so with WLS) and you still have to workout if you want to build any muscle.

Most of the time you are required to try to lose weight without it, and most people do. I'd give counting calories an honest shot first, WLS is always there if you need to use that tool later.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think you should speak to a surgeon and go to a support group. I had the bypass 6 years ago, best decision I ever made. There are risks, every surgery has risks. Yeah, people get sick and have complications but they often fail to mention how they neglected to follow the doctor's orders and didn't make the lifestyle changes required for success. It's not the answer but it's an excellent tool. Just like any tool, if you don't use and care for it, it's gonna get rusty and not work properly. I gained 43lbs back before I reality checked myself and through exercise and lifestyle changes, I lost it. Based on personal experience, I'd highly recommend it. I was 310lbs when I had it, I'm a happy, healthy 168 now.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Soup & winter squashes! Yum! Yum! This is the season to have lots of chicken stock and soup ingredients in the freezer and ready to go! It's also a great time for veggies that need long roasting like beets, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc. Oh, and beans, lentils, etc. All of these are wonderful!

If you start with frozen chicken stock and cooked chicken meat, the possibilities are endless. All you need is "other stuff" to make a variety of soups. Recently we had chicken/chorizo/bean gumbo, Massaman curry soup, chicken/veggies/noodles soup, etc.

A lot of hard to peel and cube veggies like beets and butternut squash get the oven treatment at our house. I poke a couple holes to avoid explosion and then wrap in foil. I them put them in a pan -- even lining that -- so that any leaks don't turn into smoky debris on the floor of the oven. Bake at any temperature from about 275F to 400F. When you can poke a fork through, they're done. They can then be used right away or sit in the fridge, still wrapped, a few days until you are ready for them. For beets, just slough the skins off with a paper towel. Cut the butternut squash lengthwise, remove seeds & thready goo, and the meat just scoops out with a spoon. Sweet potato skins peel right off with your fingers but you might need to do a little extra work with a knife to get rid of eyes and bruises.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Soup & winter squashes! Yum! Yum! This is the season to have lots of chicken stock and soup ingredients in the freezer and ready to go! It's also a great time for veggies that need long roasting like beets, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc. Oh, and beans, lentils, etc. All of these are wonderful!

If you start with frozen chicken stock and cooked chicken meat, the possibilities are endless. All you need is "other stuff" to make a variety of soups. Recently we had chicken/chorizo/bean gumbo, Massaman curry soup, chicken/veggies/noodles soup, etc.

A lot of hard to peel and cube veggies like beets and butternut squash get the oven treatment at our house. I poke a couple holes to avoid explosion and then wrap in foil. I them put them in a pan -- even lining that -- so that any leaks don't turn into smoky debris on the floor of the oven. Bake at any temperature from about 275F to 400F. When you can poke a fork through, they're done. They can then be used right away or sit in the fridge, still wrapped, a few days until you are ready for them. For beets, just slough the skins off with a paper towel. Cut the butternut squash lengthwise, remove seeds & thready goo, and the meat just scoops out with a spoon. Sweet potato skins peel right off with your fingers but you might need to do a little extra work with a knife to get rid of eyes and bruises.

@HeidiCooksSupper I think you have the wrong thread.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say if you should have the surgery or not, but you should know that the major point of the surgery is calorie restriction. Your "five small healthy meals" are an attempt at calorie restriction. It's a strategy that can be helpful, but right now it isn't working because it isn't hitting the mark, which makes sense if you don't even know where you're aiming. A good place to start would be to find out what your mark (calorie goal) should be (go to the "goals" section in your settings and plug in your stats and goals), and focus on consistently hitting that mark.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    No matter what you will have to change the way you eat and watch your food intake. Nothing will save you from that. My brother had a gastric bypass years ago, he gained it back(he would graze so he ended up overeating because he would just eat a little bit all the time, that's how he got around it) and now he has to be careful taking certain over the counter medications like tylenol and he also has some gastric problems and doesn't absorb nutrients as well. You can use the gastric bypass as a tool for weightloss but just remember that is all it is, you will still have to do the work and get around whatever issues you have with food mentally...or you might end up worse off than you started. So you can go either way but the fight with overeating will remain the same. Best of luck to you.

Side thought, maybe give calorie counting a serious try, I'm talking food scale, reading serving sizes and having a 500 calorie food deficit. Concentrate on nothing else but staying within your calorie goal and eating PLENTY of protein and some good healthy fats(keeps you satiated and satisfied). Keep it simple, just count the calories, I think you will be surprised that if you log accurately you will lose weight. If you do this for a few months and you are SURE you were doing it correctly and you don't lose weight then go for the gastric bypass consult. Also don't be afraid to ask anyone for help in figuring out what your calorie goal should be, it is fairly simple.