Ah confused by the scales, a little help please? :)

Options
Hiya. Sorry if this is an idiot question but I'm lost!

..Stupidly im a daily weigher.. and for the past 9 days (since i started) i've been 16 stone (starting weight) every day when I wake up, throughout the day it'll flunctuate 2-3lb each way.

But for the first time this morning when I went on scales it was 15st 12lb. So does this mean I've lost my first 2 pounds?

Its been playing on my mind all morning as i dont wanna make my first update to tracker to unhappily take it all back in a few days!

Replies

• Tracey_Smith
    Options
    I'd say it does, well done x
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It is a lot easier to see progress if you pick one day a week to record your weight. you can still weigh everyday, just record it on your chosen day.
  • vitacat
    vitacat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm a daily weigher too! The scales fluctuate but I only ever record an early morning loss :)
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    Stop weighing daily, your going dig yourself into a hole, find it very hard to get out.
    Im speaking from ive been there!!
    1 day a week is enough.

If its 15.12 not 16 then yes youve lost weight.
  • dstsur5or
    dstsur5or Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday as well but I only record my Friday morning weight. Friday is official day that I track my weight.
  • klemmans21
    Options
    i just started back up this week and i have been weighing myself everyday as well, however my plan is to only update my weightloss tracker on here once a week! I am going with Friday morning as my update. On the weekends, I can get a little lacks on my diet and do not want to be discouraged if I gained a pound over the weekend, so Friday mornings it is. Just a suggestion! :happy:

Keep up the great work!!!
  • SuperSueg1
    SuperSueg1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'd say it does, well done x

I agree, I weigh myself almost every day too, but I don't mark it until Sat. morning. I also make sure it is as close to the same time of the day as possible and wearing the same thing each time. I find it is best right after my shower.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Ooh how exciting! I'm chuffed!

I know it's stupid to weigh daily but i don't think i can break that habbit i will however now have wednesdays as my weigh in day like some of you!

So you all use the daily weighs just because you can but basically don't get offended/upset by what they may say untill your weigh in day, is that right??

I was gunna have KFC for dinner because I thought it wasn't changing any time soon, that's gone out the window now! So saved myself some extra weight there :)
  • Jazz4152
    Jazz4152 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse and work in GP surgery. It is really hard not to weigh yourself every day but really shouldn't. Your weight can fluctuate by up to 5lbs daily. Best time to weigh is first thing in the morning. Weight is affected by how much fluid and food you intake daily. You may be 12st in the morning and 12st 5lbs in the evening on the same day. If you do weigh yourself daily only update ticker weekly. Weigh on same day and time for this each week. I am new on here but have been using local account on my phone for about 7 months. I weigh myself daily also but only take 1 reading a week as real weight. Looks like you are losing weight though. Well done.

Hope that helps.
  • Sarahnats
    Sarahnats Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would say wait a few days and if it stays the same, assuming you weigh first thing in the morning before breakfast then i would count it as a loss...you have to try and break the habit of weighing a few times a day, you eat throughout the day so goes without saying your weight will go up. step on the scales first thing in the morning but only record once a week, Goodluck! :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You're doing it wrong

You know you're doing it wrong

Stop doing it wrong!
  • BFit40
    BFit40 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse and work in GP surgery. It is really hard not to way yourself every day but really shouldn't. Your weight can fluctuate by up to 5lbs daily. Best time to weigh is first thing in the morning. Weight is affected by how much fluid and food you intake daily. You may be 12st in the morning and 12st 5lbs in the evening on the same day. If you do weigh yourself daily only update ticker weekly. Weigh on same day and time for this each week. I am new on here but have been using local account on my phone for about 7 months. I weigh myself daily also but only take 1 reading a week as real weight.

Hope that helps.

I completely understand the logic, but a counter agrument is that if daily weight can fluctuate up to 5lbs and your weight loss goal is 2lbs a week, it's very possible that the weekly weigh ins could catch you out for 1 or 2 weeks leading to demotivation.

I think you should do what works for you. I record my weight daily, but becuase of the daily fluctuation which you quite rightly point out, I also calculate a 7 day average which flattens out the fluctuations. It is the 7 day average that I pay attention to.

In answer to the question orginally asked - congratulations - yes you have lost 2lbs!