Cancer survivor post chemo & surgery

Options
Just had mastectomy and lymph clearenence after 6 chemo sessions due to start radio therapy next but have put on 10 kgs from lack of energy and chemotherapy looking for support and new friends to support and advise tia

Replies

• Wonderwomanfitnessgirl
    Options
    I'm lucky I had very little side effects like that but I am two weeks since mastectomy with reconstruction so it will be a slow start
  • laurenmjenkin
    laurenmjenkin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yr normal for a girl in ur position. U will put on weight over time even if you are as careful about diet as I am and try to work out as often as u can which u should try to do, trust me it will help u mind and body. Reasons for this weight gain is estrogen loss due to the surgery and during chemo they give u a non anabolic steroids to help fight immune responses to the drugs. Just wait for the endocrine ones, which is your choice to refuse or accept of course. I'd definitely suggest after mastectomy to massage if Ihave any fluId swelling and keep moving. Strange to get radio after mastectomy, no tissue should be left. My next point put exclamation marks after it. Axillary clearance, definitely try stretch, work out, weights etc. reason being u want to avoid lymphoedema, look that up. Research says exercise helps a bunch. Try work it even tired. It's helped me a lot and probably one of the times u feel yrself of old, strong and can do!!! Anyway contact me about anything to do with this nasty thing if needs be
  • Wonderwomanfitnessgirl
    Options
    Thanks Lauren i am a gym junky cant wait to get back it still have one drain in our this Monday I hope
  • RobMacca1
    RobMacca1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I’m back to training after testicularcancer, feeling strong. Had a single shot of chemo and I’m on the mend. Happy to support anyone who needs it!! Xx
  • seraphicdoctor
    seraphicdoctor Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best in your recovery. Relish each small victory and don't minimize your accomplishments!
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was exactly where you are three years ago - post chemo and mastectomy. I think it's totally normal to put on weight during chemo (better than losing too much and ending up in the hospital multiple times like I did). Best of luck with radiation -- most people find it easier than chemo or surgery, as you probably know. Since you are a gym junkie you already have healthy exercise habits. I second the comments to take it easy as you get back into exercise, but definitely do, because it will make you feel much better. Hang in there! And feel free to PM me anytime.
  • Wonderwomanfitnessgirl
    Options
    thanks im finding the fatigue my biggest problem now im back to work! I dont have much energy to go to gym like real tired need to sleep exhaustion I hate this! Plus I have terrible trouble with my knees now from arthritis not sure if the Tamoxifen estrogen suppressing drug is making it worse!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    This all will pass <3 What you are feeling is normal...you have been thru alot and not quite done.
    On that note>>>you will start regaining yourself again. Maybe not go to the gym kinda good but go outside and go for a walk. Short walk and possibly in a bit a little further.
    Listen to your body and don't push!