Good intention but no motivation.

Options
Really should be doing some exercise. I'm ex (very ex) gym bunny but haven't done anything consistently in years and it shows

Replies

• Vampire81
    Vampire81 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would just ease ur self bk in, in time i think you will come to love it again :)
  • von66
    von66 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hope so my fitness levels are a joke now
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Agree with pondee629 above. Commitment Determination Discipline. These all come from deep within and involve heart, mind, soul, and strength.
  • von66
    Options
    That's what I struggle with I'm either all or nothing which seems to be more of the case.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Well, my take on it is that you have to want it. Wishing won't get you anywhere. When you've really ready you'll get to it. If you've been a gym frequenter in the past you know how to go about resarting. OR..try something different this time. There are all sorts of exercises you can do without going to a gym--walking, dancing, biking, climbing,etc.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    It's basically what Yoda says:
    Do. Or do not. There is no try.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling completely unmotivated to get back on a gym cycle, I can't blame you. Working out in a gym is deadly boring to me. Have you considered non-gym fitness things, like: dance class, rock climbing, gymnastics, circus arts (silks, lyra, trapeze), hiking, fitness classes (kickboxing, pilates), local league sports like volleyball (indoor), ultimate Frisbee, soccer, etc.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It's basically what Yoda says:
    Do. Or do not. There is no try.

You beat me to it! Op, its not important to you. If it were you would be doing it.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    IMO, exercise is crucial to being healthy, making it a "need" in a way, but the key is to find an activity you WANT to do, that you enjoy and that you'll stick with. May not involve going to a gym at all. What do you enjoy?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If my 30s has a motto, it might be: don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I'm prone to the all or nothing mentality as well - if I wasn't good at something right away when I was a kid, I didn't want to do it. It's a hard habit to break. What happened for me was the one two punch of (1) realizing that I'd spent two years treading water while I tried (unsuccessfully, so far) to get my career off the ground, and (2) feeling like the country was falling apart around me and nothing I did could stop it. So I decided to take control of the things I could, and gave myself permission to do one thing at a time, and do it badly if that was the best I could manage, but to do it every day. Which was diet first, but once that started rolling, has been exercise as well. I've started really small and slow and I'm still pretty small potatoes compared to a lot of people here, but it's still not nothing: I walk over 10k steps most days, run/walk 1-1.5 miles 4 days a week (in the snow today!) and do wall push-ups 4 days a week. You really can do it, if you just get out of your own way.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Gotta say, dropping a few hundred bucks on a power rack, barbell and plates at home is one of the best decisions I ever made in terms of workout consistency. No more dragging myself to the gym and dealing with crowds. Get home after work, spend my hour lifting, eat, done.
  • von66
    Options
    I do walk because I've got a dog. The gym doesn't appeal to me anymore really.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    von66 wrote: »
    Really should be doing some exercise. I'm ex (very ex) gym bunny but haven't done anything consistently in years and it shows

Results are motivating. If the fitness results that you want are consistently overshadowed by things that distract you from exercising and eating properly (the couch, bars, fast food restaurants, etc.) then you just don't want it that badly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try something besides being a "gym bunny"...I couldn't imagine droning away on some cardio equipment in the gym would be too fun...I wouldn't be motivated either. A nice ride out on the road though...well, I just can't get enough of that.

The only thing I go to the gym for is to lift...it's not my favorite, but it's only twice per week so I suck it up.
  • von66
    Options
    Don't drink, rarely eat out and probably have around 3 take aways a year if that. Just need organise myself into a better exercise routine.