How accurate is the macro nutrient calculator on myfitnesspal?

Options
I'm wondering whether or not its safe to follow the amount of calories/carbs/proteins/fats per day that was suggested for me. Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Accurate in what way? The calorie targets are derived from population statistics for someone of your similar stats and weight management objectives...it's a starting point, not gospel.

The default macro breakdown is just based on recommendations made by certain organizational health bodies...you can adjust them however you please.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I lost fine on the same percentage of macros (50% carbs/30% fats/20% protein). Barring medical reasons, the breakdown that works best for you is personal preference.
  • HobbitSithLord
    HobbitSithLord Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's a hard and fast rule, like malibu said it's personal preference. I find myself far more satisfied with 40/30/30 rather than 50/30/20 so I go for that, though sometimes the balance is even farther away from carbs. I don't know, they aren't as appealing in the face of fats/proteins to me, haha. So I sacrifice them without even thinking about it. If you don't find yourself satisfied with those macros it doesn't hurt to tinker.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    All any calculator can do is give you a starting point. Tweaking as you go based on your real life results is how you will find the right number for you.

Macro breakdown is personal preference. I started with the mfp default and realized that days I hit my calorie goal more easily were days I ate extra protein so I increased protein a little and decreased carbs to even it out.

Accurate logging as you start out will make it a lot easier to look back and figure out what works for you and what doesn't :drinker: