When to exercise after illness?

Options
lp0007
lp0007 Posts: 125 Member
hi all,

I was really sick yesterday vomiting all morning. I feel okay today but when do you think I should start exercising again? I didn't eat anything yesterday but am making myself eat today. Do you reckon it will be okay to go for a run tomorrow? I never get sick so have no idea when to get back into my exercise! Thanks!

Replies

• ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying I am not a doctor. I would say that your body will tell you when it's okay to start working out. If you're feeling fine, go for a run. If you're still sick, queasy, weak, wait another day.
  • jah7700
    jah7700 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My exercise history is pretty limited :D Of course since I started MFP it's gotten better. As long as I don't have a fever or a headache I still try to get my exercise in. Googled it a while back and most of what I found said it doesn't make your cold worse and that it boosts the immune system so you should get better quicker. Don't know about that, but when I had a cold and was still interval training it didn't hinder me getting better.
  • hm4xmas
    hm4xmas Posts: 5
    Options
    This is something I know quite a bit about unfortunately. I'd first determine why you were sick in the first place. Then take at least a day to recover with mild nutrition and lots and lots of water. If you have no symptoms after a day of recovery and you feel energetic and "normal" go for a light jog. Don't kill yourself to be fit :-) Although, I do it all the time.
  • lp0007
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • lp0007
    Options
    This is something I know quite a bit about unfortunately. I'd first determine why you were sick in the first place. Then take at least a day to recover with mild nutrition and lots and lots of water. If you have no symptoms after a day of recovery and you feel energetic and "normal" go for a light jog. Don't kill yourself to be fit :-) Although, I do it all the time.

Thanks. This is what I plan to do. Think I had a tummy bug because I felt so awful yesterday but almost normal today ( and no more throwing up- yay!). It feels really weird not doing anything for a couple of days though!