Dressed in the Sauna?

Went to the Sauna and was really amused. The point of beeing in a Sauna is to be naked so you can sweat out of every pore. A few people came in beeing dressed (like with a shirt and shorts). And this is not the first time, I have seen this. Even the sign said, to only bring a towel inside. Don't get it. Why are people so prude here? They might want to spend a year in Europe to overcome that fear.

Replies

• Went to the Sauna and was really amused. The point of beeing in a Sauna is to be naked so you can sweat out of every pore. A few people came in beeing dressed (like with a shirt and shorts). And this is not the first time, I have seen this. Even the sign said, to only bring a towel inside. Don't get it. Why are people so prude here? They might want to spend a year in Europe to overcome that fear.

ha very strange! i dont see the point you would come out sweating filled clothes & creased and just eww.
    ha i wouldnt like it! it was boiling enough in just a towel! lol x
  • At my gym the sauna is right off the pool, so you have to wear some kind of clothes. It's not in our locker room. I wish we could go in naked, but the kids swimming probably shouldn't see us through the glass door. LOL
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    I'm amused by that too. I live in holland and spa's are all naked otherwise you can't even come in to the spa area. When on holiday in america i'm so amused by how sometimes clothes or at least bathing suits are mandatory
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    I don't understand, WHY would you even go in a sauna in your street clothes? Maybe they don't know any better?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I sweat out of every pore whether I'm clothed or not! LOL That said... I've never been in a sauna. I hate heat and humidity, so I don't really 'get' saunas. Why voluntarily make myself hot, sweaty and uncomfortable.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Prude? Do you sit there, buck naked? With no towel wrapped around you? Frankly, I find that disgusting. I don't like to parade around naked. And I certainly don't want to see you naked. Now, if the rules of the sauna are to only wear a towel, then those are the rules. But there's nothing wrong with being, as you call it, a prude. Honestly, I wish more people were. I don't want to see naked bodies. ick.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Everyone that goes into the sauna at the gym here wears clothes, I've never seen anyone with just a towel. I thought you weren't supposed to wear clothes either but oh well.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 778 Member
    I sweat out of every pore whether I'm clothed or not! LOL That said... I've never been in a sauna. I hate heat and humidity, so I don't really 'get' saunas. Why voluntarily make myself hot, sweaty and uncomfortable.

Here in South Texas, I just have to step out my front door & instant sauna. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350

It is actually very relaxing, not to compare with a beeing outside on a hot humid day.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    Have not been to sauna in years, but do occasionaly go to sweat lodges. For women t-shirts and long skirts (or long dresses) cotton and men short/long pants and t-shirts are the norm. (especially in mixed sweats). The clothing does get wet and sweaty, however we sweat all the toxins and amazingly they do not stink. Modesty is an important part of that culture, but the advantage is this-The sweat lodges get so hot, the clothing actually protects your skin. At least that is my experience in this area of the country.
  • UpEarly
    Here in South Texas, I just have to step out my front door & instant sauna. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's how Virginia is, too! I get 'natural sauna' more often than I want. I can't imagine choosing to go sit in one for the fun of it! LOL
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    I love going to the public bath here in Korea. I walk around bare naked with the other ladies. It felt awkward the first time, but once you realize no one really is looking at you, it's just natural and relaxing.
    My only complaint is when they send their naked children to sit next to me in the tub as though they will learn English through osmosis. :/
  • UpEarly
    It is actually very relaxing, not to compare with a beeing outside on a hot humid day.

I think I'll take my crisp, cool, breezy mountaintop for relaxation instead of a steamy, dark, hot, wooden box with a bunch of naked strangers! :-)
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Prude? Do you sit there, buck naked? With no towel wrapped around you? Frankly, I find that disgusting. I don't like to parade around naked. And I certainly don't want to see you naked. Now, if the rules of the sauna are to only wear a towel, then those are the rules. But there's nothing wrong with being, as you call it, a prude. Honestly, I wish more people were. I don't want to see naked bodies. ick.

Wow I guess, you have a few issues then. And no, people don't parade in a sauna. You really missed the point.