Bad food day

Options
Yesterday was technically a "bad" food day. I'm working on getting over that word, "bad" as it relates to food. Food is food. It's neither good or bad. I overate, that's it. And today is a new day. I'm still showing up again this morning and today I will do my best to be more in control. What do you tell yourself after a bad/off day to keep motivation?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Work out your weekly calories, you probably weren't even over.

I add up all my saved calories each week to use at weekends.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Work out your weekly calories, you probably weren't even over.

I add up all my saved calories each week to use at weekends.

I do the same, even though I have been eating maintenance on and off the last couple of months, when I look at my weekly average, I am actually a little under maintenance and slow progress is better than no progress.
  • hoppgeorge
    hoppgeorge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Keep tracking and logging in. Be honest with yourself even if you dont like it lol. You'll do fine!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track with trying to ditch the bad/good labels when it comes to foods or your eating habits. You're right, it's just food, and all of it can be part of an otherwise healthy diet.

I find in situations like these, it's important to keep perspective. As @RunRutheeRun says, look at your numbers. What rate of loss did you select? If 1 lb/week, then you have a 500 cal deficit built in each day, and a 3,500 cal deficit built in for the week. How far over your calories were you? Because unless you were over by 3,500 (assuming that 1 lbs/week goal), then you are still in a deficit for the week. You may see some short term water weight, but you won't have derailed any true progress you've made.

Lastly, with situations like this you may want to consider why you went overboard. Is it that you are being too restrictive with your food choices or calorie deficit, and therefore gave in and ate foods you had cut out or were just having a super hungry day? With your new attitude of "it's just food, it's not good or bad" make sure you leave room in your day or week for the foods you really enjoy so that you aren't tempted to overindulge in them.

Good luck!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    Options
    Really like your efforts to change your self talk about "bad food." There are many unhelpful food choices we can make in the course of a day. Also, some days our plans are not effective, or we lose concentration.

Although I try to include some sort of daily treat, however small, food is mostly fuel.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was technically a "bad" food day. I'm working on getting over that word, "bad" as it relates to food. Food is food. It's neither good or bad. I overate, that's it. And today is a new day. I'm still showing up again this morning and today I will do my best to be more in control. What do you tell yourself after a bad/off day to keep motivation?

like others have posted, i look at my weekly goal, and tend to eat a bit less Monday to Thursday to be able to eat more at the weekend.

sometimes though i will over eat and that is that, i don't worry about it, life happens.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    Options
    The most effective plan, is one you will actually follow.
  • 43Kathy2017
    43Kathy2017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I probably tell myself the same thing you just said in this post. However you also nailed it on the head when you said you’re back at it today. That’s really the point isn’t it. You didn’t let one day ruin the whole thing for you. Like you said it was one day every day is a new start and you get to choose what do. Good luck and thanks for your post, i’m glad I’m not the only one that deals with this.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I just hit the gym harder in the week afterwards to balance it out and make good use of the extra fuel. I also have a few days of a deficit in the 5 days afterwards( I am maintaining) to be sure.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    We all have those occasional bad food days, it's not to give up it's called living. The important thing to remember is this is not a quick fix diet it's a learning experience for your new lifestyle.
    I've maintained for the past year and a half my weight will change by maybe pounds. If I see it usually fell it I drop my calories until back to o my set point.
  • rebben23
    rebben23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Every day is a new chance! I recently ate a family-sized bag of chips in one day, felt guilty, then felt guilty when I no longer felt guilty, etc. Things happen!
    And since they don’t happen every day, that’s when you feel bad when they do! Use that feeling to make mindful choices this weekend :) Wishing you the best!