Would you track calories on your birthday??? :)

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    MilesAddie wrote: »
    When I went away for my birthday, or the two theee day weekends this summer, I just put 3500 calories each day and left it alone. I try to not overindulge, but it’s vacation. I only get so many days away, I want to enjoy myself.

Important thing was eating right once I got back.

Oh funny! That's exactly what I do!
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I haven't done holidays or birthdays in years, so yeah I'd stay on track. It's just another day.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    So, came back from holiday a week ago. Was very disciplined this week to lose holiday weight and now it is my birthday weekend!! My

Yes, it's a day like any other, so you still need to record everything you eat. Also might serve to help you keep your head on straight. No harm in enjoying good stuff, but portion sizes matter.

As for me, I don't even remember it's my birthday sometimes, so there's no difference in what I'd have to log anyway.
  • Raven_Hawk
    Raven_Hawk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes. Enjoy the goodies and track them too.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    My birthday was last month. I gave myself an entire weekend off. I "gained" 4 pounds (obviously some of that was just extra food/water weight) by Monday and had already lost it by the middle of the week. Worth it, IMO! I don't want to do something like that even one weekend per month because it did basically negate an entire week, but I think it's fine for really special occasions.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I have a "workout" I created for special occasions which is just the difference between my usual calories and my maintenance. For me it's a nice option because it gives me seven hundred fifty more calories to enjoy, but yet I know I'm not eating enough extra to gain weight.

I have to log because I'm diabetic. My blood glucose doesn't care what day it is, I still need to limit carbs to 45g per meal to stay within range.
  • candjmunoz
    candjmunoz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of having leftover calories at the end of the day and ALWAYS tracking my calories. If I wanted to splurge for my birthday I would change my calorie goal FOR THE DAY. If I'm trying to lose a pound a week, I might change it to maintaining my weight. Then the next day I would change it back to losing 1 pound a week again. I have done this for a week-long vacation and the day our hot water heater went out. We were caught off guard and ate dinner out unexpectedly.

While this may sound like cheating, it is a strategy I use to decide what my goals are and to maintain my streak of counting calories every day and having calories left over.

The trick is to be honest with yourself about how long you plan to maintain rather than carve out a weight loss deficit. My bigger goal is to not stop tracking my calories.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I track them.. but it doesn't mean I follow my goal on that day.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Already did, 2 wks ago.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yes, but I don't worry if I go over my limit on one day if I'm under at other times.

The main thing is to stick to your weekly net calories.

(Diary>Nutrition>Calories/Kilojoules>Week View)
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yes. Holidays coming up too. Don't quit logging
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Nope. Losing is a matter of balancing life with my goals. If having a good time on my birthday is going to make me feel badly about my goals, it is a lose/lose. My anniversary, birthday and fourth of July all fall within a couple weeks. I don't stress that time of year. I have been working on weight loss for a few years now and feel that over time it has been easier to relax around certain times of year. Once you know what works, you stress less about a few days here and there.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I make myself log even if I hate to see the result. Sometimes I purposely don't log right away, hoping it will go away... :(:*
    But at the end of the day I log it anyways. If I don't recall the numbers I over estimate what I ate and log that.

I have gone over with a 1000 calories before and all that mean that the next day I work out harder and don't eat those calories back, or I eat less. I even it out one way or the other.

The thing is, it will keep you aware. Just because you log doesn't mean you can't go over that day/weekend.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I always track my birthdays. They usually come at 3000+ calories, which I know and I'm fine with. I like having numbers even if I'm not actively trying to control calories.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I would almost certainly go over my calories, but I would also definitely log them - not logging indulgences would be the beginning of the end of my maintenance.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes I track everyday...doesn’t matter if I ate way over or way under. You can’t make educated and valid decisions based on data that isn’t complete and accurate.

That said, I had my birthday cake with no regrets. And my birthday meals (they were spread out some). Having one tomorrow that I am working into my week (free burger at Red Robin). This is a lifestyle so you have to make habits you can keep up for life.
  • MinuitMinuet
    MinuitMinuet Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes. But then I wouldn't eat at all until dinner time either cause I know it will be awesome and I'll want to enjoy it.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I track it, but I don't worry if I'm over my goal. Even way over. As long as it's one day, not a week's worth of "It's my birthday, so I deserve to eat All the Things."
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't usually make a big deal about my birthday, so it's just another day to me. I haven't gotten a birthday cake in several years, and I might eat one piece if I did, but to me it's just another day. If I plan to go out to eat, I do what I always do when I plan to go out to eat - eat at a larger deficit leading up to it. Most times I just don't eat that day until I go out.