Yoyoer needing help

Options
Hi I'm 48 female 5ft 2 and 192 lbs

My whole life has been yoyoing mainly as I've used food as comfort not greed or had such a busy life I'd grab what I can as looking after everyone except me.
No excuses I know what's healthy and I know I've now messed my body up.

In thee last 5 years I've lost and gained in chunks of 40-60 lbs a year 250 lbs and now the losses are slow.

I did meal replacements for years 600 cals a day vlcd in ketosis and that slowed down this year from 3-5 lbs a week to 1-2 lbs a week losses.

I know they are bad and so I switched to keto / low carb as it really helps my ibs d.

Now I'm on 1200 cals a day
Macros are
5% carbs
25% protein
70% fat
I'm not hungry as ketosis and I prefer this as my ibs is 90% better.

How can I get my body back to losing weight 1-2 lbs a week?
As I've been yoyo 'dieting' 30 years I have stopped I lie low carbing and I'm not sure to eat more calories to reverse diet ? Don't know how to do it.

I maybe perimenopausal as age and some symptoms but I should still lose weight being so strict.

I walk an hour a day can't do more atm as I tore my calf muscle twice. I did used to exercise lots.

In 2015 I had a miscarriage fell immediately with twins lost one at 2 months as hemorghing then at 5 months on 3 months bedrest I lost the other to sepsis was in critical care in intensive cared
Then had months hemorghing and 11 blood transfusions in 3 months so maybe this has effected my body ?

Please don't have ago go at me I know vlcd are bad and dieting I have realised this after last year I lost 63lbs and got a lung infection and was very ill.

This year I did do vlcd again and lost 28 lbs in 11 weeks and switched to low carbing to help ibs and have 1200 cals a day

I just need to lose another 50 lbs and it's not happening :(

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have lost tons weight I know how to lose weight

I weigh measure everything in a digital food scale and a measuring jug

I don't eat much and never eye ball food- slow losses aren't just because if this menopause effects your losses as does yoyoing

I said I have stopped vlcd

I lost 67lbs last year = I know how it all works I just wanted to know should I reverse diet

I know scales aren't a liner

lol I have explained I've done this 30 years = I know what we should and shouldn't do I'm just asking if reverse dieting may help boost my losses

I lost 71lbs in 2011 doing calories and exercise in 10 months
    I explained about my calf muscle

Thankyou for your help though always appreciated

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I know this might not be useful but look into increasing your NEAT. It's good that you walk so carry on with that. You could burn an extra 2-300 calories just by standing more, walking more, doing chores around the house, cooking etc, it all adds up.
  • size102b
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I know this might not be useful but look into increasing your NEAT. It's good that you walk so carry on with that. You could burn an extra 2-300 calories just by standing more, walking more, doing chores around the house, cooking etc, it all adds up.

I do everything in the house for 5 of us all the washing cooking cleaning housework shopping gardening diy decorating my husband won't.

I am.m not sat on my bottom all day I also help look after my 3&4 year old grandchildren and walk everywhere as I don't drive

Sedentary exercise wise not in life I meant sorry

I used to do 12 high intense Zumba classes a week gym 3 times c25k a week but damaged my calf muscle badly now I'm not confident and very unfit to start over sadly

Thankyou
  • size102b
    Options
    You know how to lose weight temporarily by starving yourself. To stop yoyoing, and lose weight permanently and maintain a healthy weight, you have to stop undereating/overeating and start to eat regularly, enough but not too much. Sorry if it sounds self-evident or boring or dfficult, but that's what you have to do, and that's also all you can do. Nobody thinks you are lazy.

I never said anyone thinks I'm lazy I explained what I do when told to do more standing and chores ?

No I didn't starve myself I do vlcd and keto as I have chronic ibs where I can't even leave the house and vlcd was recommended to me to loose weight by a doctor years ago so I did it and lost lots weight and my ibs was 90% gone so that's the main reasons I did it. Life was harsh along the way and pregnancies so I didn't stick to vlcd and yoyoed.

I know I have messed my body up maybe I should do a different post as I just want to know how to do a reverse diet best

Thankyou for replying
  • size102b
    Options
    You shouldn't reverse diet, you should eat a well balanced array of foods that fits within a 2lb per week loss calorie goal that MFP gives you, and keep up your walking.

I know you provided all the other info as somehow you have it wrapped up in your mind that there are all these factors special to you that make it so you can't do what seems to ordinary but you can and it will work. Try the boring way this time.
    You shouldn't reverse diet, you should eat a well balanced array of foods that fits within a 2lb per week loss calorie goal that MFP gives you, and keep up your walking.

I know you provided all the other info as somehow you have it wrapped up in your mind that there are all these factors special to you that make it so you can't do what seems to ordinary but you can and it will work. Try the boring way this time.

I did lose 71lbs in 2011 on here 1400 cals a day and exercise I had done vlcd before this I am only now having trouble losing weight on 1200 calories a day I never used to and in strict and measuring so am a little concerned

Thankyou for your help
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I've yoyo dieted twice before and all I tell myself now is "imagine how easier it would have been if I did it right the first time?"
    So it might sound boring as other people said but eat more and only do a moderate deficit of 400-500 calories from your maintenance. No need to eat low calorie all the time. Or eat low calorie during the week and eat more on the weekends? There's no need to do any extra activities then in response to you being active.

You could reverse diet...but it only really works if you're really patient and you lift weights.
  • size102b
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    You know how to lose weight temporarily by starving yourself. To stop yoyoing, and lose weight permanently and maintain a healthy weight, you have to stop undereating/overeating and start to eat regularly, enough but not too much. Sorry if it sounds self-evident or boring or dfficult, but that's what you have to do, and that's also all you can do. Nobody thinks you are lazy.

I never said anyone thinks I'm lazy I explained what I do when told to do more standing and chores ?

No I didn't starve myself I do vlcd and keto as I have chronic ibs where I can't even leave the house and vlcd was recommended to me to loose weight by a doctor years ago so I did it and lost lots weight and my ibs was 90% gone so that's the main reasons I did it. Life was harsh along the way and pregnancies so I didn't stick to vlcd and yoyoed.

I know I have messed my body up maybe I should do a different post as I just want to know how to do a reverse diet best

Thankyou for replying
    But you have starved yourself. VLCD is starving yourself. You couldn't stick to it because you were starving yourself. That was the first part of the yoyo. Then you regained.

Most of all you have messed up your relationship with food. You can call it reverse dieting if you want to, just eat more, and more regularly. There is no "best" way to do it, just do it, and start now.

I had done vlcd in 2005 08 10 in 2011 I switched to cals at 1400 a day and lost 71lbs in 11 months
    So vlcd I don't see are the problem I think it's my age
    as perimenopausal maybe
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    When you say you are having trouble. How much are you losing? When did you last see a loss on the scale? There's clearly nothing wrong with your metabolism if you're still able to drop 28lbs in 11 weeks as you did earlier this year. I rather imagine this is an issue of expectations.
  • size102b
    Options
    When you say you are having trouble. How much are you losing? When did you last see a loss on the scale? There's clearly nothing wrong with your metabolism if you're still able to drop 28lbs in 11 weeks as you did earlier this year. I rather imagine this is an issue of expectations.

I wish people read my post

On a vlcd you lose 3-5 lbs a week
    I lost water weight week 1 = 9lbs
    Weeks 2-11 I lost 19lbs is should of been a minimum of 30lbs to 50 lbs

Eat 650 calories a day in ketosis and you will lose much more than 1-2 lbs a week.

I lost 2.5 lbs 3 weeks ago when I switched to low carb = water weight
    Then 0.5 lbs
    Then gained 2 lbs this week in strict 1200 calories but I had a period and I dont have then as I have a coil to stop me bleeding to death.

It's not expectations it's I'm not losing weight as I should 3 weeks I've lost 1 lbs
  • MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You should try eating at maintenance for two weeks, this could help you.

ETA. Grammar
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I lost 2.5 lbs 3 weeks ago when I switched to low carb = water weight
    Then 0.5 lbs
    Then gained 2 lbs this week in strict 1200 calories but I had a period and I dont have then as I have a coil to stop me bleeding to death.

It's not expectations it's I'm not losing weight as I should 3 weeks I've lost 1 lbs

Perhaps you just need to give it more time on your new eating plan of 1200-1400 calories and low carb.

If I understand correctly, in 3 weeks you lost 3lbs and then 'gained' 2lbs when you had a period (water weight - you did not eat 7000 cals above maintenance so it cannot be fat). Those 2 should come back off again. It might be worth persevering for a couple more weeks.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The thing is, the maximum safe weight loss you should be aiming for is 1% of your body weight per week, which in your case is less than 2 lbs. Wanting to lose weight faster is not a good idea, and will lead to more yoyoing. You're getting good advice, just keep losing at the rate you are now and give up the plan to lose faster.

It does sound like you might be perimenopausal, which can cause all kinds of havoc with water weight. Nothing to do about the water weight except be patient and it will go away eventually. But maybe see your gyn with your concerns. Bleeding to death is no fun, I've been there!

You have my sympathy with the calf muscle tear. Not being able to work large muscles in the legs is bound to make it harder to earn exercise calories. Do you have access to a gym with a rowing machine, or battle ropes? These can be good cardio alternatives during recovery.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Thankyou for replying
    But you have starved yourself. VLCD is starving yourself. You couldn't stick to it because you were starving yourself. That was the first part of the yoyo. Then you regained.

Most of all you have messed up your relationship with food. You can call it reverse dieting if you want to, just eat more, and more regularly. There is no "best" way to do it, just do it, and start now.

I had done vlcd in 2005 08 10 in 2011 I switched to cals at 1400 a day and lost 71lbs in 11 months
    So vlcd I don't see are the problem I think it's my age
    as perimenopausal maybe

If you didn't do vlcds and instead learned proper eating habits you could've been done in 07 with no 4 other times losing and regaining the same weight over and over.