Holidays are coming up

Options
The holiday season has arrived, we have Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas than New Years. Plenty or parties food and drinks. The past 7 months I have lost just over 60 pounds. I have had cheats meals, but have yet to slip up and go of course when that cheat meal was not planned. But I am worried about the holidays, my family goes all out. Just for Thanksgiving it is 4 days of getting together and well eating a drinking and more eating. While I have been doing good, this is the first holiday season I will be going through while on a diet. Any advise? I was thinking maybe for the days I attend a party I should just have a goal of maintaining... that way I don’t gain but can still enjoy. Or should I go in being just as strict as a normally I’m.

Replies

• magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    For me I had to change my attitude. I don't let food control my enjoyment. I no longer get together with my family to eat the big meal. I go to catch up with my family and have some quality fun. The big meal is still served, but I treat it like a normal meal. I plan and eat within my calorie limits (which may be at deficit or maintainence).

Additionally, with 4 days of eating, just tell yourself that you don't have to stuff yourself at every meal because you will be able to have more of the good stuff at the next meal.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    This is a good opportunity to learn how to handle special occasions for the rest of your life.

I would keep logging, even if I had to estimate, switch to maintenance, enjoy the occasions, forgive myself if I went over, and return to my regular deficit once the partying was over.

This worked well while losing, and has for the years I have been maintaining.

One thing I find useful, especially now I don't log often, is to know, by eye, the size of my average portions. If I stick to that, and not have seconds, even if there are more courses my calories aren't too far over.

The big thing is not the couple of days celebration, that isn't too big a dent in the whole scheme of things, it is getting right back to your regular deficit

Cheers, h.
  • allierat84
    allierat84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    At Christmas we usually go all out, 2 birthdays in the house too I'm December. Mostly I'd say to exercise more or eat less other days that week to make up for a day your likely to go over, but Christmas I don't intend to be logging. It's a couple of days and as long as you're reasonably mindful (for example eat a big dinner and a small slice of cake because it's going to be lovely, but don't eta a big dinner, big slice of cake, a couple of alcoholic drinks and several chocolates) you should be able to jump right back to your usual eating after those few days without any lasting damage.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Meh...Halloween is for children. Thanksgiving is just a day...yes, we usually have family around for a few days, but we only feast on Thanksgiving...I usually make a big stew with the leftover turkey. Same for Christmas. I don't treat the whole two months as a reason to stuff my face.

A handful of celebratory days really aren't materially relevant to the big picture.
  • terrisk8
    terrisk8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of the fact that I bought two bags of Halloween candy and told myself that it's for Halloween.
    As for Thanksgiving, this year will be interesting. My brother and his wife are going to Florida to spend Thanksgiving with her parents at their beach house there, leaving me alone for Thanksgiving (our parents are deceased and I am not married). Then I'm working three 12 hour shifts in a row the three days before, leaving me too exhausted to even leave the house on Thanksgiving. So I plan on cooking for myself, but am concerned about too many leftovers.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Plan to get through the holidays on maintenance...will be a good “break” from deficit and you can enjoy the holidays a little more. That said, as much as possible go in with a game plan...holiday food doesn’t have to be calorie busting If you chose wise amounts and such. My biggest issue with holidays is everyone trying to stuff me with food (if I’m not eating something they bring me stuff).
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    terrisk8 wrote: »
    I'm proud of the fact that I bought two bags of Halloween candy and told myself that it's for Halloween.
    As for Thanksgiving, this year will be interesting. My brother and his wife are going to Florida to spend Thanksgiving with her parents at their beach house there, leaving me alone for Thanksgiving (our parents are deceased and I am not married). Then I'm working three 12 hour shifts in a row the three days before, leaving me too exhausted to even leave the house on Thanksgiving. So I plan on cooking for myself, but am concerned about too many leftovers.

The freezer is your friend! Freeze in individual portions and enjoy your holiday meal later on when you aren’t sick of turkey. Portions already being made makes it easier to control calories too plus if cooking only for you you can cook for your tastes and not others. Single person cooking isn’t a bad thing!

• cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Must admit the Christmas is a killer for me, I.typically cut loose and end putting on about 14 pounds. This year is a bit different though as I’m having to deal with an unhappy gall bladder which means I HAVE to control myself or spend Christmas in pain. I do however have an appointment this tuesday with a consultant about surgery to take it out. I’m both very happy and equally very sad about this
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I plan to not count calories on Thanksgiving, my birthday (Dec. 3) and Christmas. I've also recently learned my lesson due to vacation overeating (eating all the things with abandon resulted in a night spent with miserable uncontrollable GERD and some intestinal issues) so I'll definitely be limiting my portions and being selective about the things I choose to eat.

History says I'll overeat the day before and after each holiday while I prep food and sort out the leftovers, but those days I count. The rest of the time I eat within my calories although I'll eat a lot more treats, which will crowd out some more nutrition-dense food, but I've learned to trust that in the long run none of this will have any impact on my weight management or health.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why holidays are such a worry.

For me, it's all about portion control. I can and do eat/drink a bit of everything, just not too much of anything.

BTW, I live alone and always roast a 16-20# turkey w/all the fixings every year. I just don't eat it all at once.

Your frig & freezer is your friend. LOL! ;)

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Meh...Halloween is for children. Thanksgiving is just a day...yes, we usually have family around for a few days, but we only feast on Thanksgiving...I usually make a big stew with the leftover turkey. Same for Christmas. I don't treat the whole two months as a reason to stuff my face.

A handful of celebratory days really aren't materially relevant to the big picture.

As a non-US person, it always kind of amazes me that people can turn four days into a two month thing.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Aim for maintenance on Thanksgiving (may be in a deficit as I have to work that morning and only 3 people so not a huge dinner). Nice lunch/dinner for my mom's birthday in early December. Diet break the week leading into Christmas. On track every other day.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I quite like being in Canada. We have enjoyed our thanksgiving already.

My family in the U.K. do like it if they can fit in a visit over thanksgiving- the novelty factor.

Cheers, h.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Huge holiday fan here, baking, cooking, hosting, shopping, decorating, parties, get together.... it is the most wonderful time of the year( Halloween, thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years) I'm of no help. I'm a hallmark, lifetime, giddy about everything festive women. Enjoy yourself, be mindful, know you don't have to eat it all at once right then, have a little of everything!! ''Tis the season!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Holidays arent big for me i have no family. But all the baked goods and halloween/christmas stuff in the grocery stores kill me >.> Iv yet to give in but i will at some point i know me well enough hah
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

As a non-US person, it always kind of amazes me that people can turn four days into a two month thing.

Ditto.

The problem is not "holidays". It's the concept of thinking "holidays" means 3 months of bingeing, instead of a few meals.

As an Australian, we have Chrimbo dinner, and that's it.
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I will be going to my sister's for Thanksgiving and, although she will be having all the "fixings", I intend to bring a few things for myself (and other's if they care to try them) to try to keep me somewhat on track. I don't know what plan you are following but I am following a low carb plan so I plan on bringing my mashed cauliflower, to replace the potatoes, and a low carb pumpkin cheesecake bake, to replace the pumpkin pie. I do plan on eating a little bit of everything else (stuffing, gravy, sweet potatoes) but I hope to keep it to a couple of mouthfuls of each. I also plan on making stuffed artichokes for family members (which, of course, is not exactly low carb) but I figure treating myself once a year to something we all thoroughly enjoy will be okay as long as I get right back on track the following day. My Mom, who is no longer with us, use to make them every year and I would like to keep the tradition going...... :). Anyway, my advise it to be mindful of what you're eating and just eat enough to taste and keep you satisfied.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking and worrying a bit about it myself. So far I've only had two bad calorie days, both family events. Both times I either planned ahead and ate lighter before, or made up some of it the next day or both. Adding extra exercise is another fix for me. Those are the same strategies I'll use with the holidays. I'm not too bad when it comes to eating light meals, although usually I will try a bite of everything at a potluck. I can forgo most sweets or again take just a bite or two. Drinking makes me more nervous. I'm not drinking at all now, but when I get in social situations I like to have a drink or two....or three. I love a good wine, and even a glass of egg nog this time of year. That is usually what pushes me over the top. I do, and will, log every bite of whatever it is I eat & drink so even if I feel some guilt, the numbers will be there for me to see and ponder.