Options
2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Vladaar wrote: »
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    My doctor told me I needed to lose 10 pounds. When I told him I count my calories and lift heavy weights he told me I was doing it all wrong and I needed to do more cardio. I haven't been back to him since and I'll be looking for a new doctor.

Is that because you are training for competition of some sort? The reason I ask is because heavier weights tend to build muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. That is why I am guessing he told you that. However, heavier weights can be subjective so maybe your not going all that heavy and he was just trying to be Mr. know it all. There's nothing wrong with building some muscle. Personally, I was in the past very muscular pre-marriage and contemplating entering powerlift competitions but all that heavy weight injured my wrist. Now I lift again, but it's to get some strength back, going for an athletic build and maintain it as opposed to trying to get really into the bigger, stronger game again.

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat.

False statement without mentioning amounts.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I prefer the straight truth, even when it hurts.

But I could swear that I have read, on these forums, people complaining that their doctors called them fat. "He doesn't have to tell me, I already know!" "She doesn't have to rub it in!"
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    To me it didn't hurt one bit. It's because I knew I was fat so it basically clicked "he's right, fat means I have the power to influence my conditions, that's good news"
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Vladaar wrote: »
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    My doctor told me I needed to lose 10 pounds. When I told him I count my calories and lift heavy weights he told me I was doing it all wrong and I needed to do more cardio. I haven't been back to him since and I'll be looking for a new doctor.

Is that because you are training for competition of some sort? The reason I ask is because heavier weights tend to build muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. That is why I am guessing he told you that. However, heavier weights can be subjective so maybe your not going all that heavy and he was just trying to be Mr. know it all. There's nothing wrong with building some muscle. Personally, I was in the past very muscular pre-marriage and contemplating entering powerlift competitions but all that heavy weight injured my wrist. Now I lift again, but it's to get some strength back, going for an athletic build and maintain it as opposed to trying to get really into the bigger, stronger game again.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. One pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat.

And he never asked me how heavy but my husband told him I could bench press him.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The first time (back in college) my doctor asked me what I was doing to lose weight. I think to make sure I was doing things healthfully. This time, now that I am older I guess, my weight loss has caused a number of health issues (thyroid goes into freefall, sodium is super low, dizzy, and hair is falling out—down about 50 percent in the last 3 months).

So now weight is a constant topic, and since thyroid is a major issue I’m getting blood work and seeing doctor at least 4 times a year, more at the moment). We agree I should lose another 50 pounds or so but it is going to take a long time since my body is throwing a tantrum. Currently her orders are maintenance until we can get things back in balance and then will ease down 100 cals or so at a time until finding tolerance level. Blood pressure is low due to the low sodium and probably the hormone imbalances affect it too. But I have never had high blood pressure in my life either. On the plus side, all of my other blood work is good—cholesterol, blood sugar, liver and kidney function, adrenal function, etc.

• dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My previous doctor called me obese at about 170 pounds (overweight but not obese for me) and rather than being a wake-up call it ticked me off. He was obnoxious in other ways as well and I eventually changed doctors about 10 years ago. My new doc is a D.O. and like his demeanor better. He did eventually tell me I should look into losing weight after I hit 190 and I did. That is when I lost 30 lbs. Now I put it back on I don't want to see him until I'm at least back where I started. Sometimes it is not what they say, but how they say it.
  • nndarden
    nndarden Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, he gave it to me straight. He said I was old and fat and if I didn't get my stuff together I'd die a painful and lingering death. And he didn't want to fight it with pills because I was too lazy to get off my butt and take the necessary steps to get back on track.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    The nurse practitioner I went to see to follow up after being diagnosed with sleep apnea was kind and direct about my needing to lose weight. I checked back in with her a year or so later after I had lost about 50# to thank her, and let her know she had delivered the right message at the right time. I was also hoping to be able to lose the cpap but that was not to be. Oh well :)
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    my doctor never told me anything. Shes a great doc to. I lost 110 pounds so i must have needed to lose but my blood and all tests were perfect so i guess she never felt the need

My husband is like that. All his tests were perfect. His bp was low, no signs of diabetes, lipids low. And he weighs almost 300 pounds. lol The thing is, when you are that big...you know you need to lose weight. No doctor needs to tell you this.
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I gained 95 lbs over two years. I avoided going to the doc because I was embarrassed. I finally gave in and my extremely kind, yet firm, PCM really hit home when she said, "You're young enough to turn this bus around and undo any damage. However, if you do nothing, I want you to understand, this is the best you will feel for the rest of your life."

I turned the bus around and have lost 27 lbs so far. I saw my PCM at the market and she ran over to hug me and I let her know her words are still rattling around in my head when I lose motivation...
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Tough love, considering I was having health issues that turned out to be related to my weight. I only found out I was obese because I saw it on my chart notes one day... So I googled and learned about BMI, calories, etc. Yeah, I'd been obese for a while. He said nothing despite many doctor visits. Not even mention of diet... That only came up when I began vomiting blood, and he had me stop eating spicy foods & acids (including any soda) for a month to see if it would clear it up. e .e It did. I also lost 15lbs from just that.
  • HitTheRoad
    HitTheRoad Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic. I’m an RN in a pediatric office. So many parents call our office after their child/teen’s checkup and are furious because the doctor brought up the child/teen’s weight and thought it was inappropriate to discuss in front of a kid. I have overheard some of the discussions, and I have yet to hear one of our doctors talk about weight in a hurtful or judgmental way. Just brought up as far as general health.

I notice more often that the doctor doesn’t bring up weight. They either think the kids will outgrow it (maybe some will), or they’re just a little chunky, but not enough to cause health problems, or the docs know they’ll get that call from a mad parent.

I notice they are more likely to bring it up if the child was previously normal weight and gained a ton in between checkups.

The worst advice I hear from these doctors though is just to “keep them active,” when a kid is overweight. I think a kid is almost as unlikely to outrun a bad diet as an adult is (especially teens who are basically done growing).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I see an advanced care nurse practitioner, and she had been at me for years to exercise, but once my weight passed the 200 pound mark, she mentioned losing weight and laid it out quite clearly that I simply needed to control calories to do that.
  • Tetrelle
    Tetrelle Posts: 75 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    *Raises her hand* Yup. Doctor said with my other conditions I'm in big trouble. Not going to say what he recommended, since on another recent discussion I got freaking hounded about it, but what he recommended worked. I've completely eliminated two of my medical issues, and the others are improving, and I'm losing weight again. Woo!