Following MFP recs for 1.5 lbs weight loss per week for 50 days, have gained two pounds

Options
Yeah, not feeling great about the MFP recommendations -- at 1,530 calories a day or thereabouts for 50 days, I only maintained weight, and after two days of normal eating with exercise to get the calorie deficit below that, I have GAINED TWO POUNDS

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your logging is off somewhere.

With the gain is it your ovulation time or TOM?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring those calories?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Is the exercise new, or more than usual? If so, there's your two lbs. It's water weight.

As for not losing, are you weighing all solid food on a digital scale and measuring liquids? Are you using accurate database entries?
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Your weight went nowhere for 50 days, and you were supposed to lose 1.5 lbs per week? Why wait so long? I've noticed quite a few of the foods in the database are either not complete or off.

Nutritiondata.self.com is pretty solid on their nutrition information. You have to know exactly what you're taking in and know as closely as possible what you're burning each day.

If you're not noticing any positive changes after a week or two, you have to tweak it a bit. If you do the same thing over and over again hoping to get different results you're probably going to end up disappointed.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My maintenance daily calorie allowance is only abt. what you indicate as your allottment to lose. I did a lot of research on basal metabolic rate and all that nonsense - and finally worked out that 1200 calories would allow me to lose, but slowly. All I can suggest is that you do some additional research and adjust according to what works for you.
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back all calories burned during exercise? If so, be cautious as I’ve found the estimates for exercise calories ran a bit high for me compared to what my heat rate monitor estimates.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yeah, not feeling great about the MFP recommendations -- at 1,530 calories a day or thereabouts for 50 days, I only maintained weight, and after two days of normal eating with exercise to get the calorie deficit below that, I have GAINED TWO POUNDS

So you eat at 1530 cals and didn't lose weight, then ate more ('normally') and gained weight?

What are your stats? Do you weigh everything with scales?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    TNoire wrote: »
    takes 3500 burned cals to lose 1lb, goal is not to eat back your calories for the day, low calorie, low carb, high protein is the way to go usually for most

The way MFP is set up you do eat the calories back. Many people will only eat back 50-75% due to possible overestimation of said calories. And I wouldn’t say “most people” go low carb. I never did and I lost weight just fine.