Sweet tooth and temptation

Options
bb8915
bb8915 Posts: 12 Member
edited October 2017 in Getting Started
Okay so my weakness is sweets. Today is my first day tossing out the cookies, ice cream, and sweet tea. Needs some good alternatives to satisfy my sweet tooth. Whats your biggest weakness when trying to lose weight and how do you manage it??

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I make room in my calories for ice cream almost every night
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    At first I just didnt keep big packs of anything in the house. If I wanted something sweet then i would buy a one or two serving dessert or something small. I eat sweet things everyday and can moderate now. Mostly...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Is your sweet tooth satisfied or triggered? If it's satisfied, just eat small amounts of what you crave regularly. If it's triggered and/or you're only satisfied by a larger amount, avoid it on the regular, and have a larger amount occasionally.

Replacements rarely work - you'll still crave the real deal and can end up with eating not just the replacement, but more of the real deal than if you'd done that in the first place.

Also stop demonizing foods you like. Deeming it unhealthy, nasty, fattening, greasy, sugary, foul etc, will not create an aversion, it will glorify it, and when you give in, you will overeat because you've been "defeated", you'll think it's smart to "remove the temptation" and get it "out of your system", but you're not actually paying attention, not enjoying it, and afterwards, you'll feel miserable and guilty and mad at yourself, promise that you'll never do it again, and do it again at first opportunity.

"Trying" to lose weight is unnecessary as well as pointless. Weightloss comes from a consistent calorie deficit. MFP tells you how many calories to eat to lose weight healthily and effectively. Have a sustainable plan and follow through, and you succeed.

I like almost everything, and I have struggled with overeating, overweight, guilt etc, for many years, so I need to take some care to not overeat. In addition to working on my mindset, I plan meals and shopping, so that I can eat as much as I need of everything I want.
  • bb8915
    Options
    Thanks ya'll. My sweet tooth is mainly satisfied. I dont eat alot of sweets. There are just certain things like ice cream and cookies i really like. I dont overdo it because too much sweets makes me feel sick. Mainly sweet tea was my biggest down fall. Here in NC its like water. For the last week though i have been drinking 4 to 6 glasses of water a day.....and i'll still have a cup of sweet tea every once in a while but not drink it sun up to sun down like i was. So far i have lost 3 pounds. I have not tossed out literally the sweets in the house because i know I will always live with temptation so as you said its all about learning to moderate and not demonize food. Deprevation never has worked for me but i am trying to use my favorites as more of a reward rather than a part of my daily calorie count. I will be honest after i had my daughter i did not exercise or eat right like i should but i am doing my best to rectify that. It's never going to be easy and i am going to mess up at times. But i am determined and having good advice like y'all have given me helps out alot. ☺
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I eat Halo Top, chocolate and 3-2-1 mug cakes all the time. I woul go crazy if I didn't have chocolate in some form daily. It's all about moderation.

3-2-1 mug cake:
    Mix 1 package of angel food cake and 1 package of whatever flavor of cake you like all together in a container or ziplock. Use 3 tbsp (about 1.5 oz) of mix, 2 tbsp of water and mix all together in a mug. Microwave 1 minute. Makes a yummy, fluffy, individual cake. Mine is currently devil's food.
  • bb8915
    Options
    I just wrote down that recipe. Thanks for the tip. And its quick and easy which helps alot.....especially with the kids.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Strange for me...I can dig into ice cream, sugary sweets and make them fit into my caloric goal and stop at one serving.
    When it comes to salty snacks on the other hand (peanuts, chips, nachos, flavored popcorn)...total avoidance is all that works for me!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Eat sweet treats because you like it instead of a reward. You absolutely shouldn't demonise foods but you should also try to normalise them in my opinion. Growing up with certain foods as a reward is part of my problem.

Everyone is different of course, but it's good to be aware that may not be the best tactic.
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Chocolate granola with milk gets me through my chocolate cravings.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Warning against using food as a reward has already been issued - so I just want to repeat that: Do not use food as a reward (you are not a dog).

But I get to be the first to comment on "eating right" and "like i should". Every day, you need a range of nutrients, and that is easy to get through a wide variety of foods. There are so many ways to achieve good nutrition, and your body is so adaptable, that you can eat what you like. Don't try to get it "right" - there is no "right" way to eat, nutrition for healthy adults is complex, but not complicated; "eating right" just lays an unnecessary burden on you, and end up, again, making bad decisions out of desperation of not getting it "perfect".

And you don't have to exercise to lose weight - exercise moderately (whatever that means to you) for fun and good health. Many people (myself included) maintain normal fitness through nothing but normal daily activity, no planned exercise.
  • brendajfg
    brendajfg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always work a sweet treat into my calorie count for my mid afternoon break at work. If you crave sweet tea try slowly replacing the sugar with Splenda. We did that with my husband's coffee. It took a few months but finally all the sugar was replaced with Splenda or a sugar-free Italian Sweet Cream creamer. He's lost 35 lbs
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I too thought I could not control myself around sweets. Then I decided to try one week, then one more. I picked a bad time of year to start, right before Halloween lol.

You like sweet tea; I like mochas. And at this time of year, the fun Starbucks drinks. I also like cookies, and I always overeat cookies.

I found when I stuck to my calorie goal and allowed myself apples, grapes, berries and loads of veggies, the cravings went away. This made me feel more confident in my goal, too. I'm not doomed to fail just because a cookie or doughnut or Apple cider showed up in the break room. And for those times I cannot resist, I either go for a really nice bit of chocolate or for a fun sized version of Snickers or M&M's.

As for drinks, I would make your own at home so you can weigh and log it.
  • Akmauser
    Akmauser Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I gave up sweets for about 2 months when first starting this lifestyle change. I was way over yesterday (The worst day yet)! However, it is okay to have a few rough days, but try to keep them within what your maintenance goals would be at your ideal weight OR current weight. Which ever you're comfortable with.
  • bb8915
    Options
    I like doing the reward part for me because it keeps me on track. I know im not a dog but when i set a goal and i reach it by staying on The track i have set then rewarding myself helps keep me focused. It works for me maybe not for everyone but for me it does. Thats the best part of finding what works for you to live a healthy lifestyle. I was pregnant back to back so i was never able to lose the weight after my son before i got pregnant with my daughter. Before my pregnancies i had lost 65 pounds with the plan i am using now. I like exercise.....even though its definitley a bit harder now. But im finding new ways to keep active with my kids, i walk to tropical smoothie when im at work on my lunch break, and even my husband is getting in on the new meals i am cooking. I walk with my kids to the park. Now keep in mind 2 weeks ago i was pretty much a couch potatoe. I already feel better and i can tell a difference. I am starting to feel like myself again.Thanks yall for the tips of alternative snacks and quick ways to satisfy my sweet tooth. Im writing these down as i see them. The splenda idea for my tea is great and with coffee i am dunkin lover but i dont do sugar......just creamer but now i have repalced with skim milk. Which suprisingly is not bad at all.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I generally have calories at the end of the day I can use on dessert and fortunately, I don't binge. Portion control helps. I measure the ice cream, instead of just filling a bowl. I eat one oatmeal raisin cookie or one small chocolate bar. A pre-measured pudding cup or fruit cup keeps me from over eating. If I really want cake or pie, I eat it out, so I'm not eating half a pie.
  • AshleyCephas513
    AshleyCephas513 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm really struggling. On some days I really do great. As of lately, I have been under a lot of stress. I find it helpful to have alternative treats available....like fruits pair with light whipped cream....gum....hard candy. It really suppresses my sweet tooth.
  • xxangie88xx
    xxangie88xx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I keep things like Halo Top ice cream and some ice cream sandwiches in my diet because they have good macros. I have also started to love greek yogurt, mix in some berries and pb, it's delicious and really high protein.
  • bb8915
    Options
    I love yogurt too. Recently i have been eating the fozen yogurt. Im gonna have to try the yogurt mixed with fruit and pb. My mom told me to get nuts, berries and low fat whip cream is a good alternative from dips. So to have that confirmed is a huge help. Thanks for the tips ladies. Keep them comin. These are great to add to my recipe book and quick ideas. The good part is my son loves all the good stuff too and is very active. So keeping it in the house and actually eating it without it going bad makes me feel better.