Yoyoer needing help

Options
2»

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    As far as I understand, reverse dieting is a technique used by body builders and involves slowly increasing calorie intake to maintenance. Which is pretty much how transition to maintenance should be done anyway, rather than instantaneously ramping up on calories. Sounds like bro science to me.

I started putting on weight at the age of seven or eight, and struggled with it over most of my life. I had periods of a number of years when I'd get down to healthy weight, then it would come on again. I'm 70 going on 71 and have now kept my weight down for several years - by seeing this as a permanent lifestyle change rather than a "diet".

I'm convinced the reasons why so many yo-yo diet are:

1. "Dieting" is artificially setting aside a time in your life called "dieting time"
    2. Eventually you'll return to "normal time" when you're not "dieting"
    3. The reason you get fat is that you're doing things wrong in "normal time"
    4. The reasons why you do things wrong in "normal time" are behavioral

This means you have to turn your head around and address the behavioral problems - the reasons why you get into trouble - if you're going to succeed long term. You have to see it as a permanent behavioral change rather than as a time-limited diet.

Take a look at the Beck Diet Solution (Judith Beck) - a cognitive behavioral approach to modifying the dysfunctional behaviors associated with eating. There are books as well as websites devoted to it.
  • bibliocephalus
    bibliocephalus Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

<hint: stop thinking along the lines of getting it over and done with. stop thinking along the lines of dieting. spend the next few years developing a way of eating you can keep doing forever. Lose slowly without white knuckling or excessive effort. You just might discover by year two or three that you'll have a better grasp of what you will need to do during the rest of your life in order to keep the weight off. >

^^This is probably the single most important piece of advice I have read on MFP. I am near your age, and, after years of yoyoing finally met my goal of a 50lb loss in about a year, the "trick" for me was to acknowledge that it really is a marathon, not a sprint. I am only able to be successful if I set reasonable goals, and focus on maintaining sustainable habits for the long-run. It was hard to see such slow progress, but I so far I am into year two of staying within 5 lbs +/- of my goal weight. I hope that this helps a little.