"I can't believe they didn't know that"

Options
xfc1
xfc1 Posts: 69 Member
edited October 2017 in Chit-Chat
What thing have you found out that someone didn't know? You were really surprised that they didn't learn or had forgotten. For me, it was a 20 year old who didn't know the ordering of month names. Things you consider every adult should know. What about you?

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Wait. They didn't know February came after January and May comes after April????
    Like... didn't ever look at a calendar... or anything... :no_mouth:

Hmm I'm trying to think... I always find it weird that men seem to know nothing about the female reproductive system even though it is taught here in school from grade 5 to 8 or 9.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I once had an argument with my son. His teacher told him a shark was a mammal and so he believed her. The fact that I have a Zoology degree meant nothing to the 4 year old. I could not believe I had to try and convince him that I knew what was talkin about
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I just learned that the youngsters no longer learn penmanship, specifically cursive, during their elementary years in public school. This doesn't bode well for the future.

I just learned this recently too and I wonder what a signature will be, printed?
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I learned a little while ago that a week starts on Sunday, this info blew my mind!

The week starts on the weekend...how confusing is that!!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I learned that while traveling in the car you can have the reading light on and not get a ticket. I was taught that you can get a ticket by police it still blows my mind to have that light on while driving. I learned it from radio station
  • sammieb1228
    sammieb1228 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just learned that the youngsters no longer learn penmanship, specifically cursive, during their elementary years in public school. This doesn't bode well for the future.

Not sure where you live but our state passed a law last year saying that it is mandatory to teach cursive in third grade and then samples in the upper elementary grades must be kept to prove they know it. My school's always taught before this law came about because the kids are so excited to learn it. So sad that it's no longer considered an important skill to teach in other areas.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some grown-assed women have never had an orgasm. I mean, ones who've been in relationships for years and they've never had one.
    Blows my freaking mind.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Really? That's odd. My kiddos are schooled at home through a public charter program. The curriculum for Language Arts contains penmanship and cursive writing from 2nd grade on up. We have loads of fun learning the shapes, and my two younger ones think they're using a secret "language".

I suppose I just learned there might be a big difference in the traditional public school education regimen vs. the method we chose for ours, despite both having "public" in the name. I also recently learned that both people involved in an accident can receive tickets if both were careless. I always thought there was always one "winner" and one "loser". Keeping fully abreast of traffic laws is valuable <3
  • bosko1827
    bosko1827 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I van al,out agree that cursive is not very necessary, but who will read all of the old documents inthe future? I often look at deeds and property descriptions that are hand written from 30-200 years ago. Some are very hard to figure out and I know cursive.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    When people finally realize it's supposedly, NOT "supposebly". Or specific, NOT "Pacific".
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some grown-assed women have never had an orgasm. I mean, ones who've been in relationships for years and they've never had one.
    Blows my freaking mind.

What’s a relationship got to do with it? :grimace:
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Blows my freaking mind.

Apparently nothing. :laugh:

I still remember my first. 21 yrs ago and nobody else around but my parents’ back massager :lol:
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    hellvee wrote: »
    Blows my freaking mind.

I still remember my first. 21 yrs ago and nobody else around but my parents’ back massager :lol:

giphy.gif

What. I didn’t objectify it, so no big
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    My bf didn't know about the "th" sound and I had to teach it to him. He was mad nobody had corrected his use of d's his whole life. He's got a thick country accent so I guess that's why. It blew my mind though.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    Blows my freaking mind.

giphy.gif

What. I didn’t objectify it, so no big

You just save all your objectifications for special situations?

They were all special, how dare you