Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Men vs women: how to make a challenge fair

SnuggleSmacks
SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So my amazing hubby and I are going to start a weight loss challenge, and whoever wins has to buy dinner at a fancy Brazilian place (where everything is spit-roasted and it's easy to eat healthy).

The problem is that we're aware that men tend to lose faster than women, at least in the first few months. So what ratio would be fair? He suggested that he should lose 1.5 lbs for my 1. Does that sound right? Neither of us want to take advantage by any unfair advantages.

Replies

• Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Go by percentage lost instead of actual pounds lost. Like they do in Biggest Loser. "Percentage weight loss is calculated by taking away (in pounds) your present weight from your starting weight. Next, multiply the result by 100. Now divide this figure by the starting weight and you have your percentage."
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Bump for ideas. What ratio seems fair?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    % weight loss would really be the only way to actually have a level playing field.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I'd go by percent of body weight (or fat) lost. Or perhaps who gets closest to goal weight.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    I too agree with %, not hat the biggest loser did everything right, but they did even the playing field for men vs women
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    How long is the contest? If it's short term then the 1.5 lbs for him vs your 1 lb may be a good measure. This article says that men can expect to lose twice as fast at the start of a weight loss program. But if that's you in your profile pic you look to have higher than normal muscle mass for a woman so 1.5 to 1 might work fine.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/do-men-lose-weight-faster-than-women#1
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Thanks guys! The contest is 6 weeks. I also read about the study that showed men lost twice as fast in the first 2 months, so maybe that would be a good measure, but I'm comfortable with 1.5. He's taking it more seriously than I am, I'm afraid, because the way I see it, aside from the cost of the meal, we both win. I won't mind in the least buying him dinner as long as I get some too.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    I would do this in three phases, just because I like to do things right (but I am divorced, so maybe my idea of "right" is not.....LOL!).

I would still K.I.S.S.....

So, first phase would be the initial weight loss. I like the concept of body weight percentage lost. So, if he weighs 200 lbs and lost 20 lbs then he lost 10%. See who wins that phase aftet whatever your time line is (seems like six weeks). I would actually do this for 12 weeks, but that is just me.

I would make the winner of this phase get to decide how many date nights there is following that time line. Ha! You are welcome. I thought that you might like that!

For the second phase of this I would have a "who maintains the new body weigh best" for six months. Again, do a percentage. So, if he weighd 180 lbs after the first phase and weighs 162 lbs at the end of the six months then he lost 10% again. To win, you would have to loose 10.5% or more.

The winner of this phase has to go do things with the winner every day for the following two weeks. So, if you win then he has to go to the hair dresser with you...he has to go to the nail place when you get your nails done. If he wins, then you have to go with him.

For the third and final phase I would have a weight lifting competition. For three months you both do weight training. The contest would consist of pull ups, push ups, dips, squats, dead lifts and bench press. You both get to throw out your worst results. But, you have to compete in all of the exercises.

Winner is declared as to who has the best total weight lifted with respect to body weight. Pull ups, push ups and dips....count your body weight. So, if he weighs 170 lbs and does 30 push ups and 10 pull ups and 20 dips then he gets 60 x 170 lbs

The winner of that phase gets to pick where the family goes on vacation next time.

Just me...but I would never wager food as a reward. Just me.....

And just thinking out loud and on the fly with this. And, yes...it covers one year. Not by accident. ☺
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    Unless you're starting with the same body composition and stats you can't have a fair contest. Are you both similarly overweight?

Eating a crap-ton of salt and carbs the night before your first weight in (say all you can eat sushi, or Chinese food feast--don't go easy on the soy sauce) and going keto and salt-free the last few days will also ensure some really nice water weight swings on the scale... probably bigger swings than the amount of fat that you should lose in six weeks.