Protein and weightless?

Options
K so I am wondering what the relation with protein and weightloss. I been reading that one should intake 1g for every pound. I been running over my meals and for a 270lb that's alot of protein and I can't see me hitting that on a 1600 calorie intake. I would love to have some thoughts on this. Plz

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. If you are overweight, use 0.8 grams per pound of body weight at normal weight. You may also be more able and willing to stick to a calorie deficit if you set a higher calorie goal than 1600; 1500 is the minimum for males.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When you have a lot to lose it doesn't make sense to base protein on total body weight - go for estimated Lean Body Mass instead (it's not crucial to be ultra precise).

1600 cals (goal is plus exercise remember) is very low for your size, are you sure you want to make it that hard?

My personal preference when losing weight (as someone older, doing endurance cardio and weight training....) was the common recommendation of 1g/lb of LBM.
    But my calorie allowance was also a lot higher when I was dieting down from 198lbs.
  • deup
    deup Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Well mfp has it at 1680 calorie intake with a 2lb loss. Shrugs. So how do I figure out what my lbm is?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    deup wrote: »
    Well mfp has it at 1680 calorie intake with a 2lb loss. Shrugs. So how do I figure out what my lbm is?

Just estimate it at 0.8 x healthy goal weight. If you don't have a goal weight, use the middle of the normal BMI range for your height. Close enough. Don't agonize.
  • deup
    deup Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thank u :)