Cheap ways to eat clean?

Options
Anyone have suggestions? I have this idea in my mind (probably wrong) that you have to spend tons of money buying organic food at a special store and stuff like that in order to "eat clean" but I'm a college student and I'm dirt poor, so if anyone has any inside knowledge that would be helpful :smile: I REALLY want to stop eating Mac and Cheese all the time...

Replies

• CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm not a college student but still mostly dirt poor... so I'm looking forward to the answers people supply.
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Beans and pulses are a great base and are dirt cheap. Buy whatever fruit and veg are in season and on special. Frozen fruit and veg is great value and lasts longer.
    It takes some getting used to, and it IS more expensive than some processed stuff but it IS worth it.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • texasmagz
    texasmagz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Shop from the bulk bins. I get better prices on brown rice, steel cut oats, etc because they're not charging for the packaging and advertising.
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Publix occasionally has sales on their Greenwise (healthy) food and there is a store called Fresh Market that has weekly sales(not sure if either of those are near you).
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    At first it is a bit more expensive, but when your body gets used to it it actually starts to cost less because you don't have to eat as much to be full. See if you have a farmers market in your town, there are great ones like Sprouts and Sunflower. You can get produce there for much cheaper than the regular grocery store, and it is usually local. If you want to eat cleaner, start with a baby step. Stop eating processed carbohydrates. Replace your white pasta for whole wheat, your oatmeal for steel cut oats, etc. There are lot of alternatives that don't cost a ton of money, but I find that eating fruits and veggies fills me up, and I spend less on them than I would ever spend on processed crap. Once you get used to that change, then up the anty, and move to more organic food. It doesn't have to be all or nothing to help you, you can make the change gradually and as your budget will allow.
  • pizzygirltx
    Options
    bump
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Well i tried the local farmer's market, got a couple good deals but alot of stuff was overpriced.

I buy lots of frozen veggies and steam them. That seems to be pretty cheap for me. Also, buying meat in bulk. It may be more expensive up front but saves your money in the long run. I don't eat "clean" but buying a big pack of chicken breasts is cheaper than paying $5 for one meal's worth...
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    DON'T pay extra for something with an "organic" label. It takes very little to qualify as "organic" and pretty much none of the standards make the food any healthier, more nutritious, etc.
    DO try to buy produce that is in season and locally grown. Summer and fall are great times to try out farmer's markets and roadside stands.

DON'T feel that you have to go to "Whole Paycheck" or any other "specialty" store.
    DO look for in-season, locally-grown food at your regular grocery store.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    plan your weekly menu in advance. if you buy a box of spinach, you want to be able to use for 2 or 3 meals, not just one salad. also, most expensive foods are actually prepackaged, so eating clean isn't really more expensive. just look for sales and coupons. also, not everything needs to be organic. i buy organic apples, pears, and berries. but i will never buy an organic banana, lol. i also buy organic milk at places like stop and shop, where their own organic brand is the same price an non organic milk.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Buy fresh what is in season because the prices are better. Buy frozen vegetables and fruits as well as fresh because frozen is somewhat inexpensive and the food lasts a lot longer. Do you have local farmers markets? If so, frequent them and load up on fresh local produce for cheap. Once you begin adjusting your buying habits to fresh "clean" items instead of those items found in boxes in the frozen aisle you really do feel and see the difference and the monetary difference becomes less and less of an obstacle, especially as you gain experience buying fresh and knowing what prices are good prices and so forth.
  • krueandliz
    krueandliz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A secret to how supermarkets are set up. Everything you need to eat is on the outside perameter of the store. Don't bother going down the individual aisles. The only thing is they know this and that is why they put the bakery and deli right as you are on your way out.
  • julieannebyrom
    julieannebyrom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    A secret to how supermarkets are set up. Everything you need to eat is on the outside perameter of the store. Don't bother going down the individual aisles. The only thing is they know this and that is why they put the bakery and deli right as you are on your way out.

I've just thought about my local store and you're right! I've never thought of that before, will take it into consideration in future though.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Bar of soap (Ivory is cheap), Suave shampoo and conditioner is usually on sale, and you can get a washcloth pretty cheap from a department store.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Make the transition to clean eating a little easier on your pocket book by first eliminating processed foods, increasing produce and then eventually moving to organic.

I NEVER spend more than $150 a month on groceries for 2.

Here is an example list that I made about a year ago after a couple MFP people requested it. FYI, most processed items on here i.e. crackers, canned soup & diet pepsi are for the hubby, I have since become Vegan (in my 3rd week now) so my shopping list is now quite different from below, cheaper and even less processed.

20 granny smith apples = $4 (.77 lb No Frills)
    3kg box of frozen chicken = $28 (Costco)
    Low-fat meatballs = $5 (No Frills)
    Frozen vegetables (2 kg) = $4 (Walmart)
    Tuna (11 cans) = $7 (Shoppers Drug Mart)
    20 red/green peppers = $8 (No Frills/Walmart always price matched to Chinese grocery stores which sell peppers for .40-60 regularly)
    Baby spinach bucket = $3 (Walmart)
    Cottage cheese (2 tubs) = $4 (No Frills)
    Fresh pineapple (2) = $3 (No Frills)
    Brown Minute rice = $5 (Walmart)
    Diet pepsi 7 x 12 cans = $21 (Shoppers Drug Mart - this is a sale price, the only time I'll buy)
    Whole wheat crackers (3) = $4.50 (Walmart or No Frills max $1.50 each)
    All-Bran or Fiber One (2) = $7 (Walmart)
    Cheerios = $3 (No Frills or Walmart or other cereal hubby will eat that’s on sale)
    Onions (bag) = $1 (No Frills)
    Celery = $1 (No Frills)
    Zucchini (4) = $2 (No Frills
    Garlic cloves (3) = $0.50
    Yogurt (16) = $4 (No Frills)
    Whole wheat pasta (1) = $1 (No Frills or Walmart)
    Pasta sauce (1) = $1 (No Frills)
    Canned beans (4) = $3 (Wamart, Great Value brand is always .78 great!)
    Whole-wheat bread (2) = $4 (No Frills)
    Soup (6) = $3 (No Frills or Walmart, I buy 10+ when it’s on sale for .49)
    Calorie wise salad dressing = $2
    Milk (4L): $4
    Bananas (10): $2
    Broccoli (7): $7 (Walmart)

That’s $141.

My protein powder is $29 and lasts 2 ½ months (69 servings, 5lbs) so I didn’t add that in.
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't believe in "organic". I had a friend who owned an organic bakery. When "they" discover or identify a new "wrong" chemical, then the "organic" flour has to be removed from the list. In other words, its just what you can get away with or what is not yet discovered that makes grown produce "organic" or not. (Well thats my cynical take on it anyway)

I think healthy food is as unprocessed as possible (i.e more time in the kitchen - or more salads - both a real UURRRGHHHH for me :( )
  • captnesshowdy7
    Options
    Believe it or not, it actually isn't all that expensive to eat "clean." DH and I started eating like this and it's actually saving us money instead of costing more. When you buy things like a whole chicken, that can be enough meat for 3 or 4 days depending how you use it. Soups are also a great way to go. I make a pot on Sunday night and it lasts 2 people for 6 meals AND is cheap!

Look out for sales and if you are into it, coupons for healthy stuff. That can really help too.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Beans and rice are great for you, taste fantastic and are very cheap. Same goes for lentils, etc. There are some great middle eastern/mediterranean dishes using legumes. Our grocery store does this 4 for $19.99 deal where you get four packages of meat for 20 bucks, so we buy the big packs of chicken breasts and good cuts of steak, which is a good deal, if you eat meat!
    Veggies that are in season can be quite cheap, right now we've been buying sweet corn like it's going out of style for 50 cents (or less) an ear. Pick up fliers from stores and plan around what is on sale. It's a little extra work, but you'll save :D
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Check out a farmer's market nearby. Also, if there is something you know you want to buy from the store, but it is too expensive, look the company up online. You can almost always find coupons on web pages.
    Other than that, I have just switched up my food buying habits. Instead of buying white bread I buy whole wheat. Instead of 2% milk, I buy the fat free skim. Instead of crackers, I buy carrots....etc...
    I am just getting started with it all, but I have found these changes to not break my budget, and I'm starting to see some results.
    Best of luck to you!!!!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    "eat clean" the term is so ambiguous that these guys are bound to show up:

tumblr_lb4m32s6Lf1qbkuzr.jpg