Red bumps on the back of your arms anyone?

Options
Nessi37
Nessi37 Posts: 47 Member
I just had to share this! I have had red bumps on the backs of my arms forever, some people refer to it as chicken skin my doctor calls it Keratosis Pilaris...I'm sure some of you know what I am talking about!

Anyway, its very hard to get rid of and I have tried several things over the years. FINALLY I have found the missing key ingredient: BAKING SODA!

Exfoliate the afflicted areas with baking soda every other day in a warm shower ( hot water dries the skin and aggravates the condition)

next wash daily with a oil free 2% Salicylic Acid soap ( I use the Clearasil face wash)

and finally apply Cetaphil Moisturizing lotion daily...

It might make it a bit worse for a couple days, but after doing this for 2 weeks I am amazed at the different! Just rmember that you have to be dillegent about the routine. The condition is caused by a build up of dead skin cells and as strange as it sounds dry skin.

Hope this works for someone else out there as well as it did for me! Good Luck!!! :happy:

Replies

• hphurley
    hphurley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I thought I read somewhere recently that that is caused by a vitamin deficiency but I can't for the life of me remember what it was now. You might try searching for it.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,706 Member
    Options
    I've heard it can be from a vitamin a deficiency.
  • vanlaura
    vanlaura Posts: 26
    Options
    I have this! Had it all my life always wondered what it was and why it was there!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Do you have to do it forever? Or just two weeks?

And it's not always a vitamin deficiency. I've had it my whole life. I have not had a vitamin deficiency for my whole life.
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i have this! i went to the doctor and he said thats what it is and to exfoliate but nothing has happened so will definately try this!

thank you!!!
  • Nessi37
    Options
    Do you have to do it forever? Or just two weeks?

And it's not always a vitamin deficiency. I've had it my whole life. I have not had a vitamin deficiency for my whole life.

I ve been doing it for about a month now. My skin is 50% percent better than it was! My doctor told me there is no actual cure because its just the way certian peoples bodies work so this routine will be long-term.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Good to know, thanks! I've also used these products before with decent (not perfect) results:
    http://www.dermadoctor.com/condition_Keratosis-Pilaris_74.html
  • Nessi37
    Options
    According to WebMD:

"Keratosis pilaris appears as small bumps, usually on the upper arms and thighs. The harmless condition is caused by a buildup of the protein keratin that can plug hair follicles."

There is another type of skin irritation that is called Phrynoderma or Hyperkertatosis is caused by vitamin A deficiency.

In my case its not caused by a vitamin deficiency, but a buildup of cells which is why the exfoliating works...althought I wish it was!!! Then it would be an easy fix :laugh:
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My 15 year old daughter will be so happy you decided to share this
    Thank you
    :bigsmile:
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    bump
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I've always had this problem and find that if I have a really good moisturizing lotion it goes away.
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem since high school. I've read that it's caused by a Vitamin A deficiency, and that the "bumpies" (as I so lovingly call them) are excess keratin built up in the pores. I've started taking a tablet of Beta Carotene every day and have noticed a slight improvement. Sun exposure also helps.

Thanks for the baking soda tip, though. Will definitely try it!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I love baking soda! I was breaking out on my face after I starting REALLY working out and it freaked me out, I've never had acne or anything like that. I use a baking soda mixture to wash my hair and I thought, "Well if it works for my scalp..." and rubbed some baking soda on my face. A few days later I was all cleared up. Isn't it awesome? So inexpensive too!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I had this all my life until recently when I changed to a dairy-grain-soy-sugar free diet, which you can read about on my profile. My skin is now smooth and these bumps, skin tags, dark circles under eyes, rosacea, acne and all kinds of skin bleck is gone. The skin is the body's largest organ. Totally amazing and unexpected result of diet. Others' results may vary.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Intersting! I've also always had this. Got made fun of as a kid for it. My 4 year old has it too and I feel really bad for her.
  • jenjowu
    jenjowu Posts: 11
    Options
    thank you....my 11 year old daughter has this as well!!!
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! I have had that same problem for years and never known what to do about it. And I actually wash my face with Cetaphil every night, and moisturize with Cetaphil lotion, so I already have all of the stuff. That rocks!
  • kdet07
    kdet07 Posts: 117
    Options
    AMLACTIN LOTION ALSO WORKS. but you have to use it E-V-E-R-Y-D-A-Y. Its OTC, ask your pharmacist! :)
  • Nessi37
    Options
    AMLACTIN LOTION ALSO WORKS. but you have to use it E-V-E-R-Y-D-A-Y. Its OTC, ask your pharmacist! :)

I've heard that this works from a couple different people. Do you mind telling me how much you pay for it? I haven't come across it yet, but Im curious!