Knee pain and overweight

Options
I am 21 years old. I have lost 10kgs. from 95 to 85 kgs. in past 3 months over dieting. I am having knee pain probably due to overweight and running. So i have stopped running and jogging. What are others workout options to lose fat which might not cause stress on knees.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you stretching after running? did you get fit for proper running shoes?

swimming or cycling are good low impact alternatives to running.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Swimming or rowing machine. Weight lifting too.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

This^^^^

How much are you running? How much did you do when you started?
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Running can be brutal on soft tissue unless you have done some work to lighten the impact (lost some weight) or strengthed the muscle around yout knees and ankles and back...for now if cardio is the foundation of your fitness effort go elliptical, stationary bike, rowing machine, arc trainer, or stairmaster. Weight training will help strengthen the muscles...set some goals with those machines, and take your time. Be patient eventually you can find your way back in to the running game. But build up your leg muscles first
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    IF you're just starting running, you need to start slow

Work up to 30-45 minutes of brisk walking. 2-3 miles.

Once there, start C25K. Also. Seriously, get fitted for shoes. it's worth it.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I've got two arthritic bad knees.... rowing and cycling is working for me.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Walking is low impact. It's all I do right now because of various injuries.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Losing weight should help a lot, the more you lose, the more it will help. Strength training for the legs will help strengthen the supporting muscles & tendons, but you should strength train the whole body. It's unlikely based on your young age that you have arthritis, but it's possible. If knee pain continues after weight loss, talk to your doctor about it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have always developed knee pain if I just go out and run. If I start slow and gradually increase I am okay. You also may want to look at your stride to minimise impact. I try to run as if I am running on eggs and trying not to break them. Lastly look at your shoes, I can always feel a tired pair of shoes in my knees. I like the HOKA one one brand because they have a lot of cushion to them. Even with all of that I need to replace them at 315 miles.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    It really, really matters exactly what's wrong with your knees.

My torn meniscus and arthritis don't like impact or torque, but rowing (water and machine, but especially water) and cycling (stationary or regular) are OK. No impact, straight-line hinge motion of the joint.

While still obese, regular lengthy walking was a Seriously Bad Plan, but I'm able to do a few miles daily at maintenance weight now if I work up to it. I always ice after any significant workout, too.

Swimming is also an option, but I deeply dislike being in water.

Can you get a physical therapy referral? Those folks are great at assessing movement patterns, and suggesting both remedial strategies, and exercises you can do within your limitations. Mine helped me learn to walk and climb stairs in ways that reduced stress on my joints.

Weight loss has been a huge help, too. Good luck!
  • Emmey56
    Emmey56 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Spinning, my knees used to always sore from being over weight but spinning has strengthened them. I also really love step class. Don't forget, you with anything you don't have to go all out when you start, start small then build the muscles up.
  • anvitp
    anvitp Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Thanks a lot.. its due to old injury.. its recovering slowly.. hope i get back to running soon!