What do you look for in a gym and why? What makes a gym worth it for you? Gym feature chat!

Options
AdamAthletic
AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
I spend almost as much time in one gym or another as I do lurking around the MFP forums making a pest of myself and replying to one discussion or another.. all about dem cat memes!!!

But, over the years I have been a member of a huge amount of gyms - ranging from state of the art £/$300+ a month country clubs (no, I didn't have to pay - there's no way I could have afforded that! I'm a PT so, I was able to train there after a client had left), down to simple £/$10 a month basic.

You know, strangely - I've found the very lowest end of a budget to be the gyms I prefer the most and simply because they concentrate on getting the best lease deals they can afford to get the member base they want!

For me, they have to have a good number of treadmills and the ability to set the treadmill to 2 hours +.

What are your gym prerequites?

Maybe you don't like being surrounded by Olympic lifters? Maybe you want the freebies.. I hear some gyms over there in the US give free pizza!!!

And... out!

Replies

• AdamAthletic
    Options
    weights
    Just weights?
    It seems a fairly basic requirement haha, I think most gyms have weights.

That said, there was a gym I went to a while ago that ONLY had resistance machines - needless to say, it didn't stay open very long!
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I go with cheapest which is the free pizza place. I don't have any big goals so it's good enough for me and you don't have to eat the pizza or free tootsie rolls they keep at the front desk.
  • AdamAthletic
    Options
    KyleGrace8 wrote: »
    I go with cheapest which is the free pizza place. I don't have any big goals so it's good enough for me and you don't have to eat the pizza or free tootsie rolls they keep at the front desk.

Hey, I wasn't knocking it! Sometimes I think there should be more things like that over here - it encourages a healthy attitude towards food as well as exercise in my opinion!

That being said, I tease my fiance about the fact gyms over there have stuff like that! She lives in the US and I'm always gobsmacked by the features some of those gyms have. Ones over here (even expensive ones) seem basic in comparison!
  • AdamAthletic
    edited October 2017
    Options
    weights
    Just weights?

That said, there was a gym I went to a while ago that ONLY had resistance machines - needless to say, it didn't stay open very long!

all i need.... weights, a cage, and dumbbell sets

Awesome!
    A cage - lifting or boxing type?

Just trying to get a better picture, I'm currently thinking you mean an old-school type gym?
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options

Hey, I wasn't knocking it! Sometimes I think there should be more things like that over here - it encourages a healthy attitude towards food as well as exercise in my opinion!

That being said, I tease my fiance about the fact gyms over there have stuff like that! She lives in the US and I'm always gobsmacked by the features some of those gyms have. Ones over here (even expensive ones) seem basic in comparison!

I am not upset over any Planet Fitness. I think the food thing is sabotage. My location has a ton of variety in equipment so I'm very happy with it. A little weights, a little cardio. Some really swol people are seen there all the time. Just have to go during non peak hours because they have plenty of members that do all the annoying gym newb stuff.
  • elizarizo
    elizarizo Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    24 hours and how big the weight area is
  • AdamAthletic
    Options
    weights
    Just weights?

all i need.... weights, a cage, and dumbbell sets

Awesome!
    A cage - lifting or boxing type?

Just trying to get a better picture, I'm currently thinking you mean an old-school type gym?

lifting cage for squats

Gotcha!
    Yeah, that really is a must!
    elizarizo wrote: »
    24 hours and how big the weight area is

Good call!
    The main gym I go to now is 24 hours and I'm often there at 4am, it's a lifesaver! (I'm typing this at 4:20am, so - it's nice to have the option of having a gym open to go to!)

I am not upset over any Planet Fitness. I think the food thing is sabotage. My location has a ton of variety in equipment so I'm very happy with it. A little weights, a little cardio. Some really swol people are seen there all the time. Just have to go during non peak hours because they have plenty of members that do all the annoying gym newb stuff.

I think that if it encourages a few people whom woudln't otherwise go - although it would do nothing for me, it ccan only be good to have the added feature there.

And yeah, newbs can get a little annoying - but, it's nice to see people getting into fitness too, what annoys me is when they stand next to equipment for an hour posing for photos and doing little/nothing!
  • BritishSpy007
    BritishSpy007 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    First thing I look for is *monsters* lumbering around... if they are there its a good gym!
    If it's full of skinny guys staring at girls *kitten* I walk straight out...
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    A bit of everything. I like to bounce around through the different sections. That said, I haven't paid for a gym membership in a while. I prefer walking/running in the park, my karate dojo and dancing in the living room
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I look for the biggest bang for the buck, which is why I typically get on board with the YMCA. The last YMCA I was a member of allowed you use to all YMCA gyms in the county (Shelby, TN), which was awesome when I had to travel for work. Plus, YMCA locations often allow members of the military to workout for free if there isn't a military gym close, or they charge only $5 for a day pass...even if they are simply home on vacation. They typically have a good variety of fitness classes that are always fun to attend, and I like the challenges they sometimes have...for example one of the ones in the Memphis area did a 26.2 mile run/walk/elliptical etc... in conjunction with the Boston Marathon.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I look for the biggest bang for the buck, which is why I typically get on board with the YMCA. The last YMCA I was a member of allowed you use to all YMCA gyms in the county (Shelby, TN), which was awesome when I had to travel for work. Plus, YMCA locations often allow members of the military to workout for free if there isn't a military gym close, or they charge only $5 for a day pass...even if they are simply home on vacation. They typically have a good variety of fitness classes that are always fun to attend, and I like the challenges they sometimes have...for example one of the ones in the Memphis area did a 26.2 mile run/walk/elliptical etc... in conjunction with the Boston Marathon.

YMCA is my kind of gym too. Good size indoor and often outdoor pool too, enough equipment for the crowd, sauna and steam room, showers with a small changing room in each stall, free coffee and a juice/shake bar, good choice of classes - most are free/included with the membership, involved in the community, and affordable plus I get a discount there at work.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I need me some mirrors, and squat racks, and dumbell racks, and cardio machines, and a gym that attracts the attractive, i mean what good is lifting if ya can’t see what positive results look like... yup Ima gonna go with that
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,210 Member
    Options
    @OutOfUserName is right, weights are all that’s required. But I like a good cable cross over machine, some select hammer strength, leg press and squat rack.

If I have these I’m set.
  • loujanhow
    loujanhow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's a bit spit and sawdust where I go, but I like it. Lots of different rooms so I can get away from other people. I don't like the all in one room type places.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Has to have an Olympic platform and bumper plates and allow Olympic lifting...also, a power rack.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Plenty of openings and not crowded.
    Lack of idle chit-chatters wasting time and space.
    Variety of equipment for strength and conditioning.
    Competent and knowledgeable leaders.

Basically, the setup I have at my house.
  • hunters90
    hunters90 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I tend to look for one that's press crowded. Of course it needs weights, some cardio machines and of course my favorite, cable cross machines.

I have been at the same gym on and off for about 7 years. Surprisingly it's only crowded after 4:30 pm. I'm there by 7 in the morning so no big deal
  • rednote49
    rednote49 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love a small gym with a homey type feel with lots of smaller rooms and a variety of equipment. Which is what my current gym gives me :smile:
  • loujanhow
    loujanhow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    hellvee wrote: »
    loujanhow wrote: »
    It's a bit spit and sawdust where I go, but I like it. Lots of different rooms so I can get away from other people. I don't like the all in one room type places.

Are you a lumberjack by any chance?

Only at the weekend