1540 calories per day

Options
This seems like alot of calories to lose 1.5 lbs per week. I do cross fit for 1 hr 3 to 4 times a week. I also walk a couple miles a day 3x a week. Should I lower them?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    No.

I'm 5'9, 42 years old, and losing on 1860.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    kimtpa1417 wrote: »
    This seems like alot of calories to lose 1.5 lbs per week. I do cross fit for 1 hr 3 to 4 times a week. I also walk a couple miles a day 3x a week. Should I lower them?

Calories will mostly be based on your age, weight, height, and weight loss goal. Activity level is usually more of a supplement.

If you tell us your stats, we'll be able to help you more.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How tall are you, how much do you weigh now, how much do you want to lose in total.......not enough information to answer your question.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    If that is the calculation that MFP made for you, stick with it for 6 weeks and check your results. The reason for sticking with it over several weeks is to get through the hormone-related water retention swings and get a sense of actual scale trend.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    How tall are you, how much do you weigh now, how much do you want to lose in total.......not enough information to answer your question.

This....so many factors play a role. It's not that many really when you factor in the exercise.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Do you have 50-75 lbs to lose? That's a pretty aggressive goal rate of loss. More stats would be helpful to know whether this is reasonable or not - in addition to height, weight, age... what activity level did you choose, and are you planning to eat back exercise calories that you would log? Did you factor the cross fit and walks into the selection of the activity level?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    The only way to know for sure is to track your calories and weight for a few weeks and see what happens. Lots of people *could* lose weight at 1540 - I'm currently losing a pound a week on about 2100 - but whether that's too much or not enough for your goal really depends on your specific body and lifestyle.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

I am 5'8 weigh 197 I want it lose 50lbs that I've gained. I don't eat my exercise calories because I don't feel my fit Bit tracks it correctly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

That means your estimated maintenance calories are around 2,290 which isn't particularly unusual.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

What do you have your activity level set to? How tall are you? Current weight? Lots goes into play when calculating calories. This isn't an exponential amount though, it's most likely accurate.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I am 5'8 weigh 197 I want it lose 50lbs that I've gained. I don't eat my exercise calories because I don't feel my fit Bit tracks it correctly.

What does FitBit say your average total calories burned are?
    Why do you think it isn't estimating accurately?
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Because an hour of bootcamp will average about 200 calories burned. I use to go to OTF and did 1 hr of bootcamp and wore a chest strap monitor and would burn 550 to 700 calories per hr
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Eating less calories is not always better. I'm 5'4" and I'm eating around 2000-2100 calories on the days I exercise.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Too many variables to say but that seems right if you're that active. Why don't you just see how it goes for 3-4 weeks and then you'll be able to make a better decision based on your results.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Because an hour of bootcamp will average about 200 calories burned. I use to go to OTF and did 1 hr of bootcamp and wore a chest strap monitor and would burn 550 to 700 calories per hr

So it seems your Fitbit underestimates your calorie burn by 64 to 70-some percent, and you don't think you should even eat back the lower number? Your deficit is already quite aggressive, and eating lower than that goal will result in even more lean mass lost. You should consider lowering your goal to 1 pound per week, and eating back the Fitbit estimate. By those numbers, you'd actually still likely lose 1.5/week, and could adjust your calories up from there.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

You are saying FitBit is measuring your boot camp burn at 200? It's not great at accurately picking up and measuring non step based activity but if you enter it as exercise, either in FitBit or MFP, it should give you an estimate that is reasonable, which would then be factored into your full day calorie burn and that's what is used to then calculate the exercise adjustments between the two systems.

Back to your original question, I'm 5'2 and 118 and my TDEE according to FitBit and results is about 2200, so if I were eating 1500 cals/day I would lose more than 1 lb/week. The estimates you are getting, considering you are taller and heavier, don't seem outrageous to me at all.