From 197 to college weight

Options
I was on MFP a few years ago in anticipation of my daughter's island wedding, wanting to drop a few and look more like my old self. Worked quite well, lost 15 and felt a lot better. Five years later, the lbs slowly returned, so in my late 50s, I felt...if not now, when? Back in college I was 160-162lbs on a 6'1" frame. Typical thin and tall youth...and even now, people perceive that I am slim and healthy, but I knew otherwise from how I really looked and especially how I felt. Been doing too much of that older guy groan when doing simple tasks.
When I topped the scale at 197 this past Feb, I decided enough was enough, so I went with the goal of dropping 1.5 a week in hopes of hitting the high 170s. Methodical and focused (I work at home) I lived by the MFP app, eating healthy, while also doing a few core exercises for 20-25 mins each day. With the exercise bonus calories around 350, I was on 1200-1500 per day.
Within five weeks I was at 182. I don't want to say it was easy...but actually it was, as long as I stayed with my calorie limits. The program works when you are 100% true to it! Five weeks after that I hit 170. Two months later I reached my college weigh of 161, felt great...lighter on my feet with an easier sense of motion. More graceful? Funny to say that, but that's how it feels. Not heavy footed.
I now run/walk three miles each morning. Dropped from a 36" waist to 32". Since July I've stayed at 159-164...and have no intension of going back to the 190s. Bonus is a new wardrobe, and fitting into my sons' clothing on occasion...which has them thinking, that jacket looks rather familiar...haha. Could not have done it without the daily support of MFP. Eternally grateful for my new life, and a return to my roots, which has given me a better sense of self. Tom

Replies

• brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Great work!!
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Great testimonial, thanks for sharing!
  • maxfliart
    maxfliart Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thx. Truly feels amazing to change ones life, even when those around you don't realize it was necessary or in the works.
  • dominiquehomza
    dominiquehomza Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! Awesome. Seems like your outlook has also improved!
  • maxfliart
    Options
    Yes, thx. Feels like a good place to be.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    maxfliart wrote: »
    Thx. Truly feels amazing to change ones life, even when those around you don't realize it was necessary or in the works.

OH to be surrounded by people who are skinny and not supportive. Great job I am 51yo and trying to lose 40-50lbs and get to a weight I have not been since my teenage years. Keep up the good work
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • maxfliart
    Options
    Thx, everyone. A few other observations throughout the past months. I found that I do much better by going to bed earlier and sleeping for at least 7-8 hours. I have an art studio, so I figured why stay up if I'm no longer productive?
    Get up earlier, put in a 3 mile walk before/during sunrise, then come back fresh to the studio. It's somewhat of a groundhogs day approach, but I've come to enjoy the routine. Feels very productive, efficient, healthy.
  • ldtamika31
    ldtamika31 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Great job
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!