Exercising twice a day?

Options
So I'm thinking of exercising twice a day. In the morning I could do my strength training/hiit stuff and in the evening I could go for a run or do some skipping or any cardio workout I feel like doing depending on my mood. Does anyone else exercise twice a day and how do you go about mixing the workouts? Btw, I dont plan on doing this every day but 5 times a week.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I lift weights three times a week on my lunch break and swim the other two. When I get home I always go enjoy a bike ride if it isn't raining, it helps me relax and unwind.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've done it when I'm training for something specifically that requires it. Otherwise I have maybe one day per week that I have a two-a-day. I typically lift 2-3x per week and I ride on my non lifting days.

It really depends on how intense your workouts are...2x per day with higher intensity work is just going to wreck your body and hinder your fitness progress, especially if you're not properly feeding that activity.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I exercise twice a day pretty often - whether it be a second round of cardio after my original lift/cardio session or doubling up lifts because I skipped a day. If you have energy, then go for it. Not going to hurt! Just make sure you are amply fueling your body. My guidelines are never have two same lifts two consecutive days in a row. For example if I double up back + heavy legs (like I'm doing today) and my program has me hitting power legs tomorrow, I won't do a PR test for squat or DL, and will only do those movements if I'm not super sore.
  • bricynmom
    bricynmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I want to but with this new KETO diet I honestly don't think that I have the strength to. Currently I work out at gym 3days a week and when given the chance I walk the track while my son is at football practice- Good luck
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    How much are you exercising now? And for how long have you been maintaining that schedule? Zero to twice a day, 5 days a week is a lot.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I workout twice a day regularly but that is because I have specific workouts to do as part of a training plan during race season. (It's impossible to avoid when your need to run 4 x weekly, swim 3 x weekly, bike & get some strength training in) But in your case my answer would depend on how long you've been working out and if there was a specific reason for doing so. More isn't necessarily better, depending on your goals you could end up impeding your progress.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I do it because riding a bike is fun.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I exercise twice a day sometimes, a longer run in the morning and 1-2 miles in the evening before bed. It's a time thing, I don't always want to wake up in time to get the total mileage I want for the week and it's really easy to add a couple miles before I go to bed. As long as I feel good overall and don't feel overtrained (paying attention to resting heart rate, my energy, mood, and how my muscles feel), I don't worry about it.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I do it. During the week I'll take a morning bootcamp, hit or boxing workout and in the evenings I take a weightlifting class. This is usually only three days a week, sometimes four.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    what is your reason for wanting to exercise twice per day?
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I've been working out for a few years now. Definitely not a newbie although I've had gaps in between. These days im working out 5 days a week once per day and eating 2100 calories. I think I'll be adding a bit more cardio based workouts to my schedule.
  • leonhnchan
    leonhnchan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do sprints on my street or some other form of HIIT at home in the mornings and weights at night 5- 6x a week. No issue for me. Just try it and adjust according to how you feel.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I typically run in the morning, alternating steady state and intervals (either sprints or hills) on varying days. Afternoons I alternate yoga (steady state days) and strength (HIIT days). That gives me a nice easy-hard-easy-hard-etc schedule, with rests taken as my body requests them.

I work from home, which makes all the showering less of a hassle. :)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Maybe not structured exercise, but sometimes I burn calories mowing the lawn or other garden work, then I may also do Treadmill on that same day.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Try it out and see what works for you. As long as you aren't burning yourself out. Depends on your goals and priorities too.

Sometimes I do yoga or walk on the same day as a lifting session, but I don't have it in me to do actual hardcore cardio on the same day when I am doing legs which is pretty often. I will do it on my off days if I really need to.
  • 796fra
    796fra Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym in the morning and do some lifting and cardio - 6 days a week. I take my dog on a 3ish mile walk or hike every night. And about 3 nights a week I do some yoga to relax.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm taking a week of mandatory vacation soon, and I don't have anywhere to go or anything better to do, so I'm going to double down and hit the gym twice a day the whole week, just destroy myself for the week.

Metcon in the morning, strength training in the evening.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If I commute by bicycle I exercise twice a day. But generally I don't because I don't like to shower that often.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I've absolutely done this. I'd do a workout in the morning and if it's more strength based, I'd hit the gym for a half hour of cardio after work. I don't do it anymore because I'm in maintenance now and my workout program now is harder than the one I was doing at that particular time but I def did that.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. I usually do some sort of cardio DVD in the morning, maybe Turbo Jam or aerobics, sometimes yoga...then I lift weights in the evening twice a week. I might take a short run or some other cardio 2 other week nights. Fri-Sun is usually one longer workout per day(circuit training or maybe a run). It's not set in stone, just alternate the cardio and strength work.