Craving Pumpkin

Options
MissB0949
MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
Call me crazy, it is 100+ degrees outside but all I can think about is pumpkin bread. Anyone have a low-cal pumpkin dessert?

Replies

• sarahazen
    Options
    get the kashi punpkin spice granola bars
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    Oh my goodness! I was thinking that today too! Totally tempted to break down and make some! But, then I got to thinking, maybe I could add a little pumpkin to my oatmeal in the morning, and some cinnamon/nutmeg and a touch of brown sugar? Don't yet know what that would be cal wise, but it sure sounds yummy!
  • FrauHausMaus
    Options
    I saw a recipe for pumpkin cookies that someone posted on here- looked amazing!
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I've been wanting pumpkin bread, too. I bought a spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin (15oz) to used in place of the devil's food cake mix in Hungry Girl's yum-yum brownies. You mix the cake mix and pumpkin together well. Nothing else!

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/lisa-lillien/yum-yum-brownie-muffins-recipe/index.html
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Roast your pumpkin in the oven. When soft, allow to cool and toss in a blender with a little OJ, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. When the whole mixture is smooth, stir in some warmed almond or hazelnut butter...
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    YES :D

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Ingredients: (Macros in Protein/Carbs/Fats)

28g crushed Graham Cracker for Crust
    2 blocks of Fat Free Cream Cheese
    1/2 cup Splenda
    1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1 Egg, 1 Egg White
    1/4 cup Whole Milk
    120g Canned Pumpkin
    1 pinch of Pumpkin Pie Spice
    1 dash of Cinnamon

85g Protein, 60g Carbs, 10.5g Fat
    Directions:

Spray some non-stick spray in a 6″ or 8″ pie dish, and sprinkle the crushed Graham Cracker crumbs evenly for the crust.

Mix all ingredients but the eggs and Canned Pumpkin in a bowl with a mixer. Once the batter is smooth add the eggs; mix until the batter is a creamy consistency. Mix the pumpkin into the batter and once you are done mixing the pumpkin, pour the batter into the pie dish.

Bake: at 325°F for about 30-40 minutes. Check at the 30 minute mark and continue baking until the center is almost set, then set out to cool. Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours and top with your favorite low-fat whipped topping before serving.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Roast your pumpkin in the oven. When soft, allow to cool and toss in a blender with a little OJ, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. When the whole mixture is smooth, stir in some warmed almond or hazelnut butter...

Ooh, that sounds yummy!
  • pucks_mom23
    Options
    I mix 1 oz cream cheese, 1/2 cup of plain pumpkin pie filling, 1 tsp vanilla and splenda to taste. Heat it up in the microwave and it makes a nice mini cheesecake like - not quite the same thing, but it might quench the pumpkin craving.

It's about 152 calories and 10 grams of fat if you use regular cream cheese. Although Pumpkin bread would be really good right now :happy:
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I made pumpkin pancakes last week. My youngest said they were so good that she never wants plain ones again:laugh: I know its not dessert but they were still good
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! I was thinking that today too! Totally tempted to break down and make some! But, then I got to thinking, maybe I could add a little pumpkin to my oatmeal in the morning, and some cinnamon/nutmeg and a touch of brown sugar? Don't yet know what that would be cal wise, but it sure sounds yummy!

O M F G THAT JUST MADE MY DAY! I CANNOT WAIT TO TRY IT!
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    Pumpkin Crunchers (from Hungry Girl)

1/2 of 15 oz. can pure pumpkin
    1/2 of 8 oz container of Cool Whip Free
    2 Jello-O Sugar Free Vanilla Pudding Snacks
    3/4 C Fiber One Original Bran Cereal
    Cinnamon, to taste

Combine pumpkin, cool whip, and pudding in a bowl. Mix well. Season mixture to taste with cinnamon. Stir in Fiber One. Spoon batter evenly into a 12 cup muffin pan (sprayed with nonstick spray or lined with baking cups). Place pan in the freezer until crunchers are frozen.

12 servings (1 serving = 39 calories, 0.5g fat, 49mg sodium, 10g carbs, 2g fiber, 2g sugar, 1g protein)

Or how about a Pumpkin Protein Shake?
    1/4 C pumpkin puree
    1 C skim or Soy milk (I use Light Vanilla Soy Milk)
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    2 packets Splenda (or sweetener to taste)
    1/4 C Cool Whip or Vanilla Yogurt (I like the Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt)
    1 C ice cubes

Place everything in the blender and blend until desired consistency. Nutrition info will vary based on what exactly you end up using.

Hope these help curb the pumpkin cravings!!! ENJOY! :wink:
  • ClascyParra
    Options
    I cannot begin to tell you how much I LOVE PUMPKIN!!
    Here is my favorite recipe...it is a staple all year round for dessert in our house...my 5 year old daughter even eats this one!!

PUMPKIN PROTEIN PUDDING

1 can of pure pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
    1 package silken tofu
    1 package sugar free/fat free instant vanilla pudding

blend all ingredients together with a hand mixer and refrigerate....

DELICIOUS!!!!!!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

Ooh, that sounds yummy!

Oh, it is! And it works for sweet potatoes too!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I know what you need! Pumpkin Apple Muffins :smile:

They are the most recent post on my healthy food blog:

http://peanut-butter-lover.blogspot.com/2011/07/going-against-grain.html

Only 99 calories apiece.

You can substitute the applesauce in the streusel with light butter if you prefer, the sugar with splenda, and you can even add a tablespoon or two of sugar extra to the recipe if you have a sweet tooth (I don't)... They will still be fabulous and deliciously healthy!

I hope you will try them out!
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome!! Thanks so much for the suggestions! They all sound amazing right now.
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options

O M F G THAT JUST MADE MY DAY! I CANNOT WAIT TO TRY IT!

I decided to go ahead and try it this morning and YES it was like Thanksgiving for Breakfast! mmmm....
    I used:
    1/4c quick oats = 75 cal
    1/4c whole milk =38 cal (I only use whole milk, but a lesser % milk would be even healthier!)
    1/4c water
    2T Pure Pumpkin = 10 cal (it said 1/2c was 40cal, and 1/2 cup is 8T :bigsmile: )
    2T Golden Brown Sugar = 90 cal (If you like something else that is less calories, go for it!)
    Dashes of Cinnamon and Nutmeg
    Grand total Calories = 213

Thats some cheap (calorieswise) pumpkin pie, yo! :happy:
  • GodBreathedLife
    Options
    I ran across a recipe that is light and easy. I have not tried it yet but when I read your post I had to share it with you. Mix one chocolate cake mix and one can of pumpkin. Put in muffin tins and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. The recipe indicates only 9.5 calories per muffin. Sounds yummy to me. Thank you for posting your pumpking craving because I love pumpkin and love the ideas that are being shared. :-)
  • Gottagetfit4me
    Gottagetfit4me Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    haha me too!! Call me crazy...especially since it's 90 degrees here and I am making this soup tomorrow.

4 Cups cooked pumpkin roughly chopped
    6 Cups chicken broth (I use Campbell's reduced sodium)
    1.5 tsp salt (optional - to taste)
    1 tbsp fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
    1 tbsp fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
    1 Cup chopped onion
    1 tbsp canola oil (can use margarine, butter or other favorite oil)
    1 clove garlic chopped
    1 tsp course ground pepper
    1 cup 2% milk (can be reduced to 1% or skim)
    255 grams fat free sour cream (optional)

Directions
    Take a small pumpkin, cut top and remove seeds, replace top and place on baking sheet in 375 degree oven for 30-60 minutes until softened. Remove from oven, remove skin and roughly chop.

While pumpkin is roasting, heat oil in stockpot and cook onion and garlic until onion is soft. Add broth and spices and simmer. Add pumpkin chunks and bring to a boil - let it boil for 5-10 minutes. Reduce it to simmer for 15 minutes.

Using hand blender (or regular blender) puree soup mixture. Add milk and taste - add salt and pepper to taste. Serve

Optional - Serve with a dollop of fat free sour cream and top with some chopped parsley

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 9
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 92.8
    Total Fat: 2.9 g
    Cholesterol: 4.7 mg
    Sodium: 1,686.5 mg
    Total Carbs: 13.8 g
    Dietary Fiber: 1.6 g
    Protein: 3.7 g
  • anelahm
    anelahm Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    what i do with my pumpkins is mix 1/2cp canned pure pumpkin, mix with 1/2c vanilla silk soy milk and add 1/2c. dry cereal or nuts. add cinnamon and nutmeg. low calorie. very filling.