The wake up call has arrived... But help is really needed.

Options
I've been on and off of here for a long time now. You'd think that I would have this in the bag at this point. I've been on the boards, I've received solid advice, I've heard it all and done it all. If only I were ever consistent.
But the one thing I severely lack is will power. I will 100% admit to that.
I finally checked back in today to realize just how much I need to lose... and boy was I shocked. Definitely need to start paying attention now because the longer I sit and wait for something to magically happen the harder this weight is going to be to lose and that is something I REALLY do not want.

Ever since day one I've always had my goal at 150lbs (I'm 228lbs currently) and thought that would be a good weight for me. I've always been on the thicker side, even as a super active blonde blur of a child that I was! But when I did some research on what the appropriate BMI is for me... omg I'm still dumbfounded.
At 150lbs I am at the literal borderline of being at a normal weight. 151lbs and you're considered overweight. In fact when I looked to see where I should be exactly, the results read 125-132lbs. I was 135lbs in the 6th grade! That just seems way too tiny for me as a 27 year old! (Note: I'm not trying to knock anyone in any way at this current weight, simply put for me this just seems very unrealistic).

Am I reading too into this? Should I ignore this and just be at what I deem comfortable with or is this really something that I need to be paying attention to? I'm so confused.
(I may have been reading stuff on weight loss all day long so my brain is beyond fried).

If anyone can offer advice I'd appreciate it.
Thank you

Replies

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I set my goal for the top end of "healthy" for my BMI - 145lbs. I'm going to re-evaluate once I get there, or if that ends up being unrealistic for me, once I realize that. I think if you have a "feeling" or a "look" that is more important to you than that number, you'll be better off.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

I agree with start with 150 and go from there.
  • skigal303
    skigal303 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm 207 right now, fighting to get back on track.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I set my goal for the top end of "healthy" for my BMI - 145lbs. I'm going to re-evaluate once I get there, or if that ends up being unrealistic for me, once I realize that. I think if you have a "feeling" or a "look" that is more important to you than that number, you'll be better off.

True. In a way I equate that to being the size of a child because that was me as a child. You do have a good point though.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    How tall are you?

I agree with start with 150 and go from there.

5'5''
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    skigal303 wrote: »
    I'm 5'3" and muscular. I ski and hike and have always been...dense. My lowest sustainable weight was about 150. I was healthy, active, had a healthy body fat % according to my doc and wore a size 6. The BMI said I wasn't in my healthy range. That's why there are so many ways to measure health-not just the scale :smile:

That is a good point. Thanks for that. :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    150 pounds is not "tiny" for someone at 5'5. Not by a long shot.

Regardless, don't worry about all of that for now. I would set your goal for the "healthy BMI range" at first and then once you've achieved that (which is, in and of itself most of the hard work) you can focus on optimizing your body fat percentage and fitness performance.

Weight loss doesn't have to be complicated and stressful. Just start implementing small changes each and every day and keep at it until you've reached your goal. If i can give any advice it would be to try and moderate your current focus on the end-goal and focus instead on making sustainable changes.

You have years to reach your goal and the time is going to pass regardless. It's not going to be very helpful if you're focusing on where you AREN'T yet (a negative mindset) instead of taking the steps to focus on the WHY you want this (the positive mindset).

*** I can tell you, however, that most people who have a lot to lose have very unrealistic ideas about how much they'll weigh when they reach their "goal". Actually, almost everyone I know who has lost a lot of weight reached their "goal" weight and realized they still needed to lose another 10-20 pounds to look somewhat like the mental image they had when they started. Again though, this is not really that important yet. ;)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Focus on right now, getting under 200 lbs. When you get there, set a goal to be 180. At 180, set the next goal. When you get down closer to your goal, then you can assess whether you are happy with the way you look and feel or not. You can choose to stop at 150, or to stop there for a while and then later lose more. You don't have to decide now. Just worry about now, not what you'll do 6 months from now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,381 Member
    Options
    Probably you know this, but just in case not:

The goal weight you put in your MFP profile has zero effect on the calorie goal MFP calculates for you. It only affects a tiny bit of motivational/tracking trivia like the "X pounds lost, Y pounds yet to go" stuff on your profile page.

So, don't agonize about it. That's just borrowing a decision from a future date when you'll have better information on which to base it, namely how you feel/look at a lighter weight that's a step closer to your final result.

Life is complicated enough without unnecessarily advancing decisions to time points when you lack the info needed to make them.