A little confused please help!!

Options
I've been using the MFP app for a while just to control my calorie intake but now that I have started exercise more I have started putting that in to, but now I'm confused is it my net calories that I watch or my food calories. I'm very confused don't want to start gaining the weight that I've lost by eating to much and don't want to make my self ill by not eat enough. Please help it just doesn't seem to make sence at the minute. Thanks.

Replies

• tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    If you exercise you need to eat your net back to 1200,,,that is the lowest you should be,,net calories is what you watch,,make sure they don't get below 1200....
    If you exercise and eat below 1200 at the bottom of your diary when you complete it for the day mfp will tell you to eat more or your body will go into starvation mode causing you to not lose...
    Hope this helped..
  • ckidd311
    ckidd311 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal is set for how many you need to consume to lose whatever designated lbs you set. If you exercise, you need to replenish those calories to fuel your body. MFP takes that into acount and adds them back on to your total.

Hope this helps
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    this is the reasoning behind eating back your exercise calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Good luck on your journey
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Tammy is right. As long as your NET calories are above 1200 then you should be fine. NET calories are the ones you want to watch.
  • johnnythebaptist
    Options
    Just remember if you are exercising you can eat som of those calories back. Here is some good reading!!!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    The general theory is that you should not go below 1200 calories, if you don't exercise. If you exercise and burn 500 calories, then your minimum theoretically should go to 1700.

Just be careful. I've found that MFP is more generous than my heart rate monitor in giving me a number for a calorie burn. Also, most people overestimate how hard they exercise and underestimate what they eat. There is always a healthy debate about eating back calories going on in the forum posts. Ultimately, experiment a little and do what works for you.
  • helenb1983
    helenb1983 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. All the info I've read today has made me understand better so now it's onward and upward with the weight lose hopefully the pounds will start dropping off :smile: