Shakes recipes without bananas!

Options
GeeGeeBee87
GeeGeeBee87 Posts: 3 Member
Does anyone know a shake recipe without bananas that actually tastes good?

Replies

• HotMama115
    HotMama115 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Following!!
  • mrsbarnett1012
    mrsbarnett1012 Posts: 63 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have a couple that I like.

I use a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk as a base, 1-2 scoops of strawberry protein powder (I use Optimum Nutrition), a handful of ice and then anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 cup of frozen berries and blend it up. Raspberries are my favorite but strawberries, blueberries and blackberries (or a mix) are all very good too.

Another one I do similarly: almond milk, 1-2 scoops of chocolate protein powder (ON again), handful of ice and 1/2 cup frozen raspberries or frozen cherries-blend. Sometimes I'll add in a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder to make it extra chocolately-and a dropperful of liquid Stevia if I think it needs to be a bit sweeter to compensate for the cocoa.

If you're looking for creamier, you could easily add some Greek yogurt (or regular) to either of the recipes above.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I mean...tastes vary. Are you looking for a sweet, creamy smoothie? Or a decent protein shake?
    Bananas are popular to use in smoothies/shakes because they're really sweet, give a rich & creamy texture, lessens the gritty texture of protein powder, and the stronger flavor helps to drown out whatever 'health food' is in there, ha.
    My absolute favorite substitution for banana is avocado. You still get creaminess and fiber, but it has less sugar and a very mild flavor. Other decent substitutions: yogurt, hydrated chia seeds, replacing milk (any) for the water in the recipe.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 968 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yesterday, I used a small apple, 1/2 cup of carrots, 1 cup water, 1 scoop of Trader Joe's egg whites, 1 cup of ice, slice of ginger and a slice of lemon blended in the vitamin. It was delicious.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this - I can't stand bananas!
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you don’t mind dairy, you can just substitute the banana in recipes with vanilla yogurt, or plain yogurt with some apple juice concentrate. If it calls for frozen, you can freeze portions of yogurt and use that.