Ways to use leftover plain Greek Yogurt?

Options
rainingribbons
rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
I bought a large carton of plain greek yogurt for a recipe, thinking I would use the rest of it for breakfast in the mornings. However, when eating it for breakfast I just can't get past the cosistency! The best way I can describe it is as an unsweetened, thicker cream cheese I suppose. I don't want to waste the rest of it, what do you all usually use greek yogurt in besides morning breakfast bowls and smoothies (no blender)?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My frequent breakfast is a bowl of 4 oz plain thick homemade yogurt, which is similar to 'greek'. I add granola, powdered peanut, raisins, and caramel bits to it. That gets the protein and calories up a touch, but also improves the texture and mouth feel of it. Maybe some similar amendment to your bowl of yogurt would help your feelings toward it.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Mix a scoop of protein powder in a serving of plain Greek yogurt. Omg, so good!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I agree great substitute for sour cream. Use on potatoes, tacos, etc. Works in dips and salad dressings. Works in this potato salad. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/04/two-potato-salad-with-sour-cream.html
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I use it as a substitute for sour cream and you can't even tell the difference (I actually like it better). I've also used it to make a tzatziki yogurt sauce/dip!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Some ppl use it as a mayo substitute, for instance in tuna fish, or a heavy cream sub in sauces.
  • tcarroll120
    tcarroll120 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I add it to smoothies. Or use mine as an option for sour cream when making tacos or wrapped sandwiches.
  • tcarroll120
    tcarroll120 Posts: 49 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I agree great substitute for sour cream. Use on potatoes, tacos, etc. Works in dips and salad dressings. Works in this potato salad. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/04/two-potato-salad-with-sour-cream.html
    My frequent breakfast is a bowl of 4 oz plain thick homemade yogurt, which is similar to 'greek'. I add granola, powdered peanut, raisins, and caramel bits to it. That gets the protein and calories up a touch, but also improves the texture and mouth feel of it. Maybe some similar amendment to your bowl of yogurt would help your feelings toward it.

I add honey and fruit sometimes
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I use it for sauces..,I make a garlic, mint sauce for Indian spiced cauliflower and chickpeas or to go with lamb meatballs.
  • mrsbarnett1012
    mrsbarnett1012 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned... I use it to make ranch dressing, tzatziki sauce as well as a sour cream substitute. I've also added it into baked goods to bump up the protein content some.

I've also recently been making little parfaits with it. I turned my plain greek yogurt into vanilla by adding a few drops of vanilla extract and 2 dropperfuls of liquid stevia to about 1 cup of yogurt. This really helps with the flavor and consistentcy some. Then layer it with 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (that's been sweetened with the liquid stevia too and several good shakes of pumpkin pie spice) and then topped with some granola.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    +ditto on the sour cream substitute. I have fully replaced my sour cream usage with greek yogurt, 100% of the time.

One of my favorite things is to make a chipotle dressing using the yogurt, chipotle tobasco, and a little milk to thin it out. I'll drizzle it over omlettes, salads, rice/bean bowls...sooo good.

If you want to eat it in the mornings, I would suggest a drizzle of honey and top it with granola/fresh fruit.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of mayo for chicken and tuna salads.
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I bought a large carton of plain greek yogurt for a recipe, thinking I would use the rest of it for breakfast in the mornings. However, when eating it for breakfast I just can't get past the cosistency! The best way I can describe it is as an unsweetened, thicker cream cheese I suppose. I don't want to waste the rest of it, what do you all usually use greek yogurt in besides morning breakfast bowls and smoothies (no blender)?

I have the same question.... my wife isn't totally onboard with the dietary changes or healthy lifestyle.... so I'll buy healthy foods, and the quantity is so big, it's sometimes hard to use it all before it goes bad.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I’m still trying to get my head wrapped around the word “leftover”. I can eat it directly from the jar with a spoon.

I just used the last of my Balkan style to turn a 3L jug of milk in to even more yogurt.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-yogurt-at-home-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-125070

But that probably sounds like your worst nightmare.

I would stir in some frozen blueberries and dry oatmeal and let set overnight.

I put a dollop inside a crepe with fruit and jam, roll, eat.

Stir it in to your oatmeal in the morning.

Sour cream on your baked potato.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    IDEA 1.
    Add powdered PB and chocolate whey protein. Delicious. You can even freeze for a few minutes to get a fro-yo consistency.

IDEA 2.
    Look up yogurt based dressing recipes to make a healthy salad dressing.

IDEA 3.
    Make Greek Tziki (spelling?) sauce. Add cucumber, etc. Delicious on chicken, etc.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Tzatziki sauce, making naan, sour cream substitute, mix into muffins, salad dressing base, part of marinade for chicken or pork. I think someone here mixed it with tuna instead of mayo.
    Just do a search on Pinterest or a recipe site and you can find lots of ways to use plain Greek yogurt.
    You can also freeze it.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Tzatziki! Or overnight oats. Or smoothies. Or alfredo sauce.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Adding flavor and/or mix-ins is an option to possibly like it for breakfast. (vanilla, honey, splenda, fruit, jam/preserves, flavored syrup, flavored protein powder, peanut butter powder, granola, oats, miscellaneous dry cereal, protein bar pieces,..). My current batch is Cookies & Cream (using up some cookies & cream protein powder).