Vegetarian recipes on the run!

Options
saramsj
saramsj Posts: 1 Member
So Im pretty newly vegetarian (about 9 months) and my biggest problem besides not getting enough protein is I like hot meals! Im super busy with two jobs and school full time so any simple ideas would be helpful!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Bean burritos: Grab a tortilla, open a can of refried beans, heat them up, put some on the tortilla along with whatever else you like on a burrito.

Pasta, sauce, and beans: Boil some pasta, toss it with some sauce and canned beans. Add whatever fresh/frozen vegetables you like.

Hummus sandwich: Put hummus on bread, add whatever vegetables you like (not hot, but very fast).

• costellomom
    costellomom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bag of frozen edamame in the shells. Microwave 5 minutes. Great snack high in protein!
  • costellomom
    Options
    I'll add that you don't eat the edamame shells. Not like sugar snap peas!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I had a delicious vegetarian quesadilla from 54th Street Grill the other night that I've started replicating at home. Crumble a cooked veggie burger (or you could use crumbles), add cheese and cook on both sides in a non-stick pan that is sprayed with cooking spray. Dip in salsa and enjoy.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I get a can of black beans, some broccoli, some corn, some salsa, a Morningstar Chik'n patty. Cut up the Chik'n patty. Put everything on one of those FlatOut's. Put a bit of shredded cheese on top. Fold up the ends. Put it on a Foreman Grill. Enjoy.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    You can make a vegetarian burrito bowl with any combo of beans, rice, quinoa, frozen corn, salsa, cheese, Greek yogurt, avocado, etc.. there are endless possibilities. You can cook some tofu in oil and seasoning if you want to add extra protein. Also google "Power Bowls" for lots of other ideas on ingredients that can be thrown together in a bowl.

I also second that a crock pot is a great tool for a busy student.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I like using the Crock Pot. Sometimes there is a little prep work (sauteing a few vegetables in oil before starting up), but you can cook it largely unattended and most of the recipes I've tried so far make good leftovers and/or are freezable. And you usually end up with a lot of food.
  • costellomom
    Options
    It's almost cool enough to start really enjoying vegetarian chili too. That's always an awesome thing to make a big pot of. Freeze or eat it for a week.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I really like microwavable things. 1 bag veggie steamers + 1 morningstar burger. tastybite brand has a ton of microwavable indian foods that are SO GOOD on their own or poured over steamed veggies (since they have sauce, nommm). In the fall/winter I eat a lot of soup- esp thick squash-based soups.

When I'm ultra lazy--- costco sells vegetarian bean and rice burritos as well as these new breakfast wraps from evol. I think they're egg, cheese, and pepper.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I like using the Crock Pot. Sometimes there is a little prep work (sauteing a few vegetables in oil before starting up), but you can cook it largely unattended and most of the recipes I've tried so far make good leftovers and/or are freezable. And you usually end up with a lot of food.

Seconded. Crock Pots are the best friends of busy students. You can cook anything from soup to homemade seitan in one. I like to use mine to cook a big batch of dried beans and then freeze them for later. It's cheaper than buying cans of beans, and I like being able to control how much salt I add.

I also cook big batches of freezer-friendly meals. Chili and spaghetti sauce are my favorites because they require very little effort (just throw everything in a pot or Crock Pot, let it cook for a few hours, stir occasionally) and they freeze well. Then when I'm too busy to cook a hot meal, I can have something ready really fast.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    I had a delicious vegetarian quesadilla from 54th Street Grill the other night that I've started replicating at home. Crumble a cooked veggie burger (or you could use crumbles), add cheese and cook on both sides in a non-stick pan that is sprayed with cooking spray. Dip in salsa and enjoy.

I forgot to mention to put it in a tortilla! Duh!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I make bissara in huge batches, freeze it and eat it with aish baladi (homemade wheat bread). The recipe's pretty easy:

1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)/110g dried fava beans
    2 tbsp (30mL) olive oil
    10g (3 cloves) garlic
    100g (1 medium) onion
    2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
    chili powder to taste

Add the oil, garlic and onions to a pot. Rinse and drain the beans, then cook them (or heat them if you're using canned) on low to medium heat with the other ingredients. Add lemon juice if that's your thing. Definitely add chili powder. When the beans are cooked through, use a fork, potato masher, or bean masher to create a smooth puree. (Alternatively, you can add your beans to a food processor once cooked and add the mush to the other ingredients to cook.)

Makes 2 servings, but the recipe doubles well. It's my favorite fall soup!
  • WhalenJR
    WhalenJR Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One of my new favorites is a stuffed avocado. You can find endless combinations. The latest one I tried was using morning star crumbles,cream cheese, sliced jalapeño, tomato, and topped with mozzarella.