Is it weird to work out in work clothes?

Options
toxikon
toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
edited October 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a fairly short lunch break, but I was hoping to hit the gym during it. I usually go for a daily walk at lunch time, but now that the weather is colder (and snow is coming), I think I'll start walking on a treadmill at the gym instead. And maybe throw in some upper body machine work while I'm at it. I wouldn't be breaking much of a sweat.

I'd rather not spend the little time that I have changing in and out of workout clothing, so would it be odd if I just stayed in my casual workplace attire?

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Just get it done who cares what people think. I wear my work clothes when I workout sometimes. I have to wear fire resistant clothes so they are thick and heavy.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I say do what you want, personally I'd just do option 3 which is quickly just throw on some joggers and a tshirt, tie my hair back and then quickly get changed again into my workwear after without faffing with showering if I wasn't intending to break a sweat. ;)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I lift weights in my work clothes. Have a spare shirt in my car in case I get too sweaty.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    If you're not going crazy sweating, I wouldn't think anything of it. If you leave stilettos on while you do it it might look odd. :)

My office is pretty casual so it's usually skechers, jeans, and a blouse/plain top. I'm used to my daily walks in jeans so it wouldn't be terribly different on a treadmill. :)
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above, just be sure you take things like the inflexibility of work clothes into account if you're going to be doing more than the treadmill. That and the possibility of my work clothes catching on equipment would be my main reasons for changing to work out (that said, I take a 30-45 minute walk every day at work, and I sure as snakes don't change my attire). And make sure you have appropriate footwear, both for what the gym allows on its equipment and for what will support your feet.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you're not going crazy sweating, I wouldn't think anything of it. If you leave stilettos on while you do it it might look odd. :)

squats are so much easier in those though. ;)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »

My office is pretty casual so it's usually skechers, jeans, and a blouse/plain top. I'm used to my daily walks in jeans so it wouldn't be terribly different on a treadmill. :)

Do it.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother if what I'm wearing that day won't be a nuisance to me. (Personally, it kind of seems weird to me how many people do take the time to change into gym clothes if they plan to just walk on the treadmill).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    As long as you are afforded the range of motion in work attire,go for it. Lots of people I work with walk outside over lunch and easily break a solid sweat in the summer months.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I have a fairly short lunch break, but I was hoping to hit the gym during it. I usually go for a daily walk at lunch time, but now that the weather is colder (and snow is coming), I think I'll start walking on a treadmill at the gym instead. And maybe throw in some upper body machine work while I'm at it. I wouldn't be breaking much of a sweat.

I'd rather not spend the little time that I have changing in and out of workout clothing, so would it be odd if I just stayed in my casual workplace attire?

I wouldn't do it, but because I don't want my work clothes to get sweaty and then have to sit in them for the rest of the day. Ew.

But, I also don't do less than full-effort workouts when I'm training. If I'm going to go through the effort, I'm going all out.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    As someone who works at a facility with treadmills, the primary concern would be you have the proper footwear for the treadmill. We don't want you breaking your toe, ankle, face, arm, leg or the treadmill.
    There are certain other things you might want to avoid like very loose clothing that can catch, running in tight pants/skirt as that may effect stride length & gait, clothes that become see through when you start to sweat, clothes that come off or out of place when running.
    I would also recommend having a back up set of clothes just in case you sweat more than anticipated and you decide you want to change before going back to work.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you aren't getting sweaty and you aren't doing anything that requires a sports bra, then it's probably okay. I would probably change out of the jeans and into sweats or shorts if I was concerned about chafing. Keep in mind that one's own definition of "not sweaty" might differ from the definitions of those who have to smell them later :)
  • xoxohopeann
    xoxohopeann Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think if it’s nothing too intense you’re fine. You can always wear your gym clothes under your normal ones so you don’t have to get changed (I wear a plain black workout top underneath a plaid button up for example). Just do you!
  • dustbringer
    dustbringer Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    I've definitely seen people at my gym in casual work clothes, like polo shirts, slacks with belts, etc. I used to think it was weird, but now I'm used to it -- especially around lunchtime!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    i worked with someone who astonished me by having a huffy-fit attitude about exactly this, but i soon wrote him off as just having an unusually long and rigid stick up his butt.

if it works for your workout and if it doesn't gas everyone within range once you're back at your desk, i would say go for it.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i worked out in a stretchy maxi dress from bebe and some walmart ortho sandals and a sweater. i had time to kill waiting for a business to open and my gym was nearby. got good and sweaty.. by any means necessary!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It's against the rules at my gym to wear anything but athletic wear. Even jeans are specifically against the rules.