What dictates your true weight?

Options
This morning, I stepped on the scale and read it: 125.6
.6 pounds away from my goal. I couldn't have been happier!

Then, it sunk in.

"Am I going by my weight in the morning, or in the middle of the day/evening?"
And I sighed.

How are you dictating that you've met your goal weight? Is it in the morning? Or evening? Or is it a pant size?
I'm beginning to think I should switch from weight in pounds to inches or size in clothing.
What is your goal? How are you distinguishing that you've met it?

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    It's in the morning when you wake up, on an empty stomach, after you do your business. Thats when you need to weigh yourself. Weigh'ing yourself at night won't give you your true weight because of the water and food in your system still.
  • HannahPendrigh
    HannahPendrigh Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    depends when you've been weighing yourself before!
    I always weigh myself at 9.30am on a Wednesday morning, before I've eaten/drank anything
    so when I reach my goal weight on a wednesday morning - i'll have made it :D (long way to go yet though!)
  • jbenton091011
    Options
    I think that's a great question. A hard one :-(

I set a goal weight. And I've sat back a number of times and wondered if it's really achievable. The thing though is that I have a pair of jeans in my cupboard which I want to fit in. If I get into those (and they're a whole size smaller than I am now), then I think I'll be happy. No matter what the scale says.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    My doctor advised me to weigh myself first thing in the morning after I've gone to the bathroom and before I eat breakfast. That is your truest weight. Congrats on reaching your goal!!
  • curliegirl
    curliegirl Posts: 191
    Options
    Great job on almost being at your goal! I always weigh in the morning. So what if you are at your lightest then? It is a boost to see that number consistently change(going down). You do put on weight as the day goes on because you are adding things to your body--food & water.

Just be okay with that & celebrate that you are so close to your goal!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I do not care what the scale says I weigh when I have food and beverage in my tummy. That's like putting rocks in your pockets and stepping on the scale.

But wow! To be so close to goal. That's incredible. You should be proud! I can't wait for the day when I reach goal.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    This morning, I stepped on the scale and read it: 125.6
    .6 pounds away from my goal. I couldn't have been happier!

Then, it sunk in.

"Am I going by my weight in the morning, or in the middle of the day/evening?"
    And I sighed.

How are you dictating that you've met your goal weight? Is it in the morning? Or evening? Or is it a pant size?
    I'm beginning to think I should switch from weight in pounds to inches or size in clothing.
    What is your goal? How are you distinguishing that you've met it?

I will know that I'm at my goal weight when I can wear tighter shirts with self-confidence, when I can do 30 pushups without resting, when I can put on a swimsuit without thinking twice about how I look in it. Your goal weight, I believe, is just another word for your goal shape. I don't care if I'm 100 or 140lbs, as long as I'm energized, confident, and able to MAINTAIN that shape without much effort.
  • serhart
    serhart Posts: 27
    Options
    I have often wondered how to accurately weigh yourself. I hear people saying in the morning before breakfast after relieving yourself, which makes sense. But, what i dont quite get is.. do you weigh your self naked, in clothing, holding a tomato? I mean i have actually never had the exact way to do this explained to me.... Help!
  • randomartisrgirl
    Options
    My goal is a weight, but also how it's carried and what pant size I am. For example, if I lose seven pounds and I fit into my goal pant size and my fat is at a comfortable level, I'd most likely just leave it there. If I get to my "goal weight" of 120 pounds and still look overweight and I don't like the way I carry the rest of my fat or how much of it is muscle, I'll continue until it's at a comfortable level. So basically, my own goal is how comfortable I am with myself.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Weight is an arbitrary number. How did you pick your goal weight? There is no one exactly perfect goal weight for anybody. When you have reached your goal, you have to evaluate how you feel about how you look. Do you think you're done and ready for maintenance, or do you want to lose a few more? If you're a little off either way, it doesn't really matter. Once you're on maintenance, your weight will be fluctuating several pounds in both directions anyway. That being said, you should weight yourself just as you always have. I weight in the morning before eating.