Testosterone boosters while on keto?

mygoalsss
mygoalsss Posts: 15 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Long story short ive been reading threw a few articles saying that for men while on a keto diet testosterone level are lowered, i am 18 years old and just want to know if it would be a good idea to supplement with testosterone boosters just atleast till i lose the fat i want and begin eating carbs again and start my bulk, also what are some good/recommended brands?

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    sounds like something to talk to a doctor about!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    Unless you have been diagnosed by a doctor with low testosterone do not take a testosterone booster. Too much testosterone for too long can cause long term problems. If you think testosterone may be an issue ask your doctor for a test to determine your levels, otherwise I would stay away.

ETA: chances are as an 18 year old male your testosterone levels are fine. The usually only deplete as you age unless you have an underlying condition.

This, plus the fact that over-the-counter test boosters are generally useless.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Why on earth would you do a diet that lowers testosterone? Doesn't that tell you that it's a bad idea? Do yourself a favor; look up the benefits to elevated testosterone levels and decide if you still want to do keto.

This^. It seems kinda of dumb to me to do a diet that lowers test to then take a test supplement! Just eat a balanced diet!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2017
    That ketosis lowers testosterone to sub par levels is not a well researched or accepted theory yet. There is a lot of conflicting evidence. Some say testosterone goes down because cortisol goes up in the early days of a ketogenic diet. Long term ketosis does not cause chronically high cortisone though.

If ketosis addresses insulin resistance, improved cholesterol, and weight loss, chances are that your testosterone will go up.

If you change to a ketogenic diet with no plans for weight loss or hopes of improved health, then I have no idea what testosterone would do.... But I would also wonder why someone who is in perfect health would choose to change to a ketogenic diet which really restricts many tasty foods. KWIM?

If you want to try keto, go for it. If you are worried about testosterone. have it tested before you start the diet and then 3-4+ months into the diet. If there is a negative large drop, then don't do keto.

This is just a blog on it but it brings up a few points to consider.
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/ketosis-testosterone-dehydration-hormesis-isomalto-oligosaccharides/
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    The only people who say that over the counter testosterone boosters work are people trying to sell you an over the counter testosterone booster. lol. They don't work - I've tried them all. I so desperately did not want to have to go onto TRT but it was all for naught. Trust me, if they worked I wouldn't be dealing with injections and constant blood work and worries about sudden man boobage. ;)
This discussion has been closed.