Sausages and Bacon

Options
Is it OK "health wise" to eat one or two bacon strips or 2 sausages a day? I eat one or the other with 2 hard boiled eggs everyday. It really helps with me with the protein amount. I can't have dairy, and soy or whey protein powders and i don't feel like eating chicken for breakfast.

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I like chicken sausage. lower cals/fat. Still yummy.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Certainly it's fine. Why wouldn't it be?
  • minstine
    minstine Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    do they fit your calories and macros for the day/week? are you eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and veg?

Yes they fit and yes I'm eating plenty of fruits and vegs. I just heard they can cause cancer.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    minstine wrote: »
    Is it OK "health wise" to eat one or two bacon strips or 2 sausages a day? I eat one or the other with 2 hard boiled eggs everyday. It really helps with me with the protein amount. I can't have dairy, and soy or whey protein powders and i don't feel like eating chicken for breakfast.

Ever try turkey bacon or turkey sausage?
  • minstine
    Options

Ever try turkey bacon or turkey sausage?

I bet i would like them. It's not really the calories I'm concerned about. It was cause they are so processed and contain nitraites.
  • minstine
    Options
    do they fit your calories and macros for the day/week? are you eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and veg?

Yes they fit and yes I'm eating plenty of fruits and vegs. I just heard they can cause cancer.

everything causes cancer these days...

Lol true...
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I love me a bacon thread!

Seriously, though, it's hard to make a definitive declaration apart from context. If bacon and sausage help you balance your macros, that's good. (Personally, I rely on high fat snacks because my meals tend to be too low on fat.) How much red meat & meat processed with nitrates are in your diet in addition to this breakfast food? If the daily nitrates are a concern, how would you feel about rotating them with other meats that aren't cured? Eggs with crab cakes are pretty yummy. Shrimp salads are often garnished with hard boiled egg. Pulled pork hash with eggs is a family favorite at home, although in restaurants they do like chicken at breakfast (fried, with waffles, so not the macros you're going for). One of my quick favorites is hard boiled eggs on 100g black beans -- packed with fiber and more protein but less fat than bacon gives you.

A wide variety of foods is considered healthy in part because it captures a broader spectrum of micronutrients but also because it dilutes the risks of any particular food.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to have bacon & eggs but also like to have oatmeal with fresh fruit and nuts just to balance it out.
  • minstine
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I love me a bacon thread!

Seriously, though, it's hard to make a definitive declaration apart from context. If bacon and sausage help you balance your macros, that's good. (Personally, I rely on high fat snacks because my meals tend to be too low on fat.) How much red meat & meat processed with nitrates are in your diet in addition to this breakfast food? If the daily nitrates are a concern, how would you feel about rotating them with other meats that aren't cured? Eggs with crab cakes are pretty yummy. Shrimp salads are often garnished with hard boiled egg. Pulled pork hash with eggs is a family favorite at home, although in restaurants they do like chicken at breakfast (fried, with waffles, so not the macros you're going for). One of my quick favorites is hard boiled eggs on 100g black beans -- packed with fiber and more protein but less fat than bacon gives you.

A wide variety of foods is considered healthy in part because it captures a broader spectrum of micronutrients but also because it dilutes the risks of any particular food.

Yea. I could try the beans good idea! I dont eat other nitrate foods just on occasion. If i do eat a hotdog I'll be sure not to eat bacon or sausage for breakfast. That's just too much grease!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh sure